Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Are We Rushing Bundy???

Are We Rushing Bundy???

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » August 15th, 2012, 5:37 am

Double A Debut:
DYLAN BUNDY (vs. AA-Erie Seawolves 8/14)
IP:. 5.33
H: 5 (3 Doubles, 2 Singles)
R: 3
ER: 2
BB: 3
SO: 3
Pitches: 96 (56 Strikes, 40 Balls)

Not a great AA start. I'm concerned that we are rushing this kid 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Are We Rushing Bundy???

PostPost #2 by mikezpen » August 15th, 2012, 6:37 am

I think Bowie's ok.That's not a bad start at all for a kid his age. Certainly I wouldn't want him pushed any further this year though.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #3 by legmason » August 15th, 2012, 9:01 am

I'm not too worried about rushing Bundy. While he's moving very quickly I don't think Bundy was going to get challenged enough in the low minors. He's been pitching without his best pitch which really impresses me almost as much as the fact that he's really young for AA. With that in mind his debut at Bowie to me looks pretty impressive. His control is above average especially for his age which is rare given that he's a young power pitcher. His breaking stuff is simply too good for Frederick. At Frederick and above the hitters can hit the plus fastball but he wasn't going to be truly challenged and learn how to pitch until he got to Bowie.

Keep in mind that he's still a young pitcher and is still learning how to pitch. He's a quick learner and he's very driven. He'll have some rougher outings in Bowie but he's smart and talented enough to learn from them and improve.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » August 15th, 2012, 9:05 am

I'm with mikezpen, he can finish the year in Bowie with really mixed results for all I care. Next year come back and show he's ready for Norfolk.

There was talk in another thread about promoting him to Baltimore when the rosters expand. Honestly I would be furious if they do that. Let the guy climb the ladder like he's supposed to. He's plenty young and no matter how good or brilliant he can become he was a huge investment for the team and they need to protect that investment.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by bushwick » August 15th, 2012, 11:29 am

I agree that he is right where he should be at Bowie. He is able to throw all his pitches against hitters who can hit them all. We know he can handle A ball no problem and now he gets to prove himself even more. I don't think he should be pitched any higher this year though. I wish Gausman would have been able to face some AA this year. I know that's to early for him but I think he is ready for that level of hitters also.
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2012, 12:20 pm

I don't think we are rushing Bundy at all. Double-A will challenge him more and that's what he needs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I don't think we are rushing Bundy at all. Double-A will challenge him more and that's what he needs.

You learn what you can't do by not being able to do it. Let his talent take him to the level of his ability.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » August 18th, 2012, 11:52 am

I'm not sure if Bundy is ever going to throw a 12-6 curveball but if this is the pitch he needs to perfect, then he needs to perfect it at a level where he can learn to throw if effectively and not be lit up with a mistake here and there. If the prime directive is to develop this talent properly then I seriously question what the Orioles are doing by rushing this kid through their system. Perhaps time and results will prove me wrong and I hope they do but right now I'm firmly in the camp that he should be in high A ball for the rest of the season, in Bowie/Norfolk in 2013 and Baltimore in 2014 as a true TOR #1 starter. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Oriole85 » August 21st, 2012, 1:17 am

I find this whole dialogue interesting since at the beginning of the year, the question was are the "challenging" him enough? Could they have promoted him from Delmarva sooner, sure. But I didn't think he was "too good" for Frederick. All-in-all, I think the O's have handled him well so far.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #10 by Adam Wolff » August 21st, 2012, 8:21 am

Oriole85 wrote:I find this whole dialogue interesting since at the beginning of the year, the question was are the "challenging" him enough? Could they have promoted him from Delmarva sooner, sure. But I didn't think he was "too good" for Frederick. All-in-all, I think the O's have handled him well so far.

Me too. I thought initially they were a little slow with him, but when you consider he's now at AA where he gets a handful of starts as a 19 year old in his first pro season, I'm very pleased. I think he'll be in perfect position to begin next season in Norfolk and come up in May/June, if he doesn't force the O's hand before then.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 8:43 am

Adam Wolff wrote:I think he'll be in perfect position to begin next season in Norfolk and come up in May/June, if he doesn't force the O's hand before then.

Agreed. IMO that possibility requires further examination of the team's approach towards Bundy this year. If they would have simply allowed him to just sharpen his existing skills at AA (i.e. using his cutter) he would have looked even better NOW, and the clamor among the fans to bring him to Baltimore would have deafening. By MAKING him develop his other secondary pitches NOW the team is better preparing him for lasting success the ML even if it takes him longer to get there.

His first start at Bowie was good. His second was better. He just keeps improving. At this pace when he's promoted to Baltimore he'll have the best chance to stay. To me, THAT'S what's important.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » August 21st, 2012, 11:22 am

Duquette cares more about AA. I doubt Bundy starts the season at AAA he will want him to log some good innings at AA.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » August 21st, 2012, 12:39 pm

He also needs to build up his innings in the minors before he comes to Baltimore for a cup of coffee. If he really finishes this year strong in Bowie. Then manages to fair well in AAA next season. He might get a look when rosters expand at the end of next season. That is a huge Maybe.

Right now he's where he needs to be and is being challenged. I would feel much better about all this if the team had a better starting rotation and there was absolutely no reason to even consider seeing him in Baltimore anytime soon.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #14 by A_K » August 21st, 2012, 1:11 pm

Oriole85 wrote:I find this whole dialogue interesting since at the beginning of the year, the question was are the "challenging" him enough? Could they have promoted him from Delmarva sooner, sure. But I didn't think he was "too good" for Frederick. All-in-all, I think the O's have handled him well so far.

Keep in mind most concerns at the beginning of the year were based on Bundy throwing 3 innings per start, where he wasn't able to face a lineup a second time. I think plenty of people would have been fine with him starting at Delmarva if he was treated as a full starter from the very beginning.

That said, a few months later those concerns do seem silly. Their approach allowed him to pitch for a full season without being shut down for innings reasons.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #15 by ofahn » August 21st, 2012, 1:21 pm

A_K wrote:That said, a few months later those concerns do seem silly. Their approach allowed him to pitch for a full season without being shut down for innings reasons.

And in his last start in Bowie he went through the lineup almost four times with very good results. IMO the only thing left for him to accomplish in the minors is to turn his secondary pitches to a plus status. Once he does that he's ready for Baltimore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles