Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Instructional League Roster almost set

Instructional League Roster almost set

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 8th, 2010, 3:18 pm

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ ... ing_c.html

The Orioles' instructional program at Camden Yards will start on Sept. 20 and run through Oct. 2. The list of players invited hasn't been finalized, but here's eight that are definitely expected to attend: Infielders LJ Hoes, Connor Narron, Manny Machado, Mychal Givens and Jonathan Schoop; Outfielders Trent Mummey, Kyle Hudson and Brenden Webb.

Xavier Avery is also tentatively scheduled to attend, but he has been added to Single-A Frederick's playoff roster and he's also expected to report to the Arizona Fall League. The Orioles could choose to give him a break rather than having him as part of the program.


I've heard Wynston Sawyer is going as well.

It's a shame the Orioles couldn't hold normal instructs, but the Orioles did a nice job finding an alternative.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Instructional League Roster almost set

PostPost #2 by allstar1579 » September 8th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Jordan wrote:http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/09/instructional_roster_getting_c.html

The Orioles' instructional program at Camden Yards will start on Sept. 20 and run through Oct. 2. The list of players invited hasn't been finalized, but here's eight that are definitely expected to attend: Infielders LJ Hoes, Connor Narron, Manny Machado, Mychal Givens and Jonathan Schoop; Outfielders Trent Mummey, Kyle Hudson and Brenden Webb.

Xavier Avery is also tentatively scheduled to attend, but he has been added to Single-A Frederick's playoff roster and he's also expected to report to the Arizona Fall League. The Orioles could choose to give him a break rather than having him as part of the program.


I've heard Wynston Sawyer is going as well.

It's a shame the Orioles couldn't hold normal instructs, but the Orioles did a nice job finding an alternative.


Yeah I heard they just want to introduce some of the top prospects to some of the ML staff and scene, it's a good end of season evaluation. You confused me with the thread title though, I was like...uh pretty sure Sarasota isn't happening and then I opened it and the world made sense again :)
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Instructional League Roster almost set

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » September 9th, 2010, 2:16 am

What exactly is this time they spend at Oriole Park? I see some big names in the organization involved, but with no teams to play, and not even a roster for themselves, is this just to be doing drills and working on different skills?

Never heard of it before.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: Instructional League Roster almost set

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2010, 12:37 pm

allstar1579 wrote:Yeah I heard they just want to introduce some of the top prospects to some of the ML staff and scene, it's a good end of season evaluation. You confused me with the thread title though, I was like...uh pretty sure Sarasota isn't happening and then I opened it and the world made sense again :)


You can imagine how excited the players are, too.

Yeah...I looked at the Sun's title and just used that for part of my title. Probably not the best description.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Instructional League Roster almost set

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » September 9th, 2010, 12:39 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:What exactly is this time they spend at Oriole Park? I see some big names in the organization involved, but with no teams to play, and not even a roster for themselves, is this just to be doing drills and working on different skills?

Never heard of it before.


This doesn't happen every year. Normally, a good number of the lower level prospects (45-60) spend time at Twin Lakes/Ed Smith backfield for instructionals. It's basically spring training at the end of the season. They play other teams every day but they aren't official games.

Due to the construction going on at both Ed Smith and Twin Lakes, they weren't able to have instructs this year. The mini instructs at Camden Yards is their alternative. Normally, you'd see a bunch of pitchers go to instructionals, but this year they are only sending position players.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: Instructional League Roster almost set

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » September 9th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Jordan wrote:
2131andBeyond wrote:What exactly is this time they spend at Oriole Park? I see some big names in the organization involved, but with no teams to play, and not even a roster for themselves, is this just to be doing drills and working on different skills?

Never heard of it before.


This doesn't happen every year. Normally, a good number of the lower level prospects (45-60) spend time at Twin Lakes/Ed Smith backfield for instructionals. It's basically spring training at the end of the season. They play other teams every day but they aren't official games.

Due to the construction going on at both Ed Smith and Twin Lakes, they weren't able to have instructs this year. The mini instructs at Camden Yards is their alternative. Normally, you'd see a bunch of pitchers go to instructionals, but this year they are only sending position players.



Usually, Eutaw St. is open to the public on non-gamedays since, well, it is a public street. I wonder if they will have it closed during these times preventing fans from watching. Even if so, if I was home, I would go downtown and out at the centerfield gates there is one spot you can look in and see part of the field.
User avatar
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 147
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0



Return to Minor Leagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron