Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Davis Against The Change

Chris Davis Against The Change

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » August 17th, 2012, 3:34 pm

According to Texas Leaguers, Chris Davis has seen 157 change-ups in 2012 so far. That is 9.6% of the pitches he has seen. An even shocking note (Or maybe not really considering it is Chris Davis) is that 75.8% of the Change-ups have been called strikes. 67.5% have been swung at and 20.4% have been whiffed on. These numbers are the highest for all the pitches thrown at him at least 100 times (4S, 2S, Slider, Curve, Sinker). That seems ridiculously high to me, even for Chris Davis. Looking at the chart from the entire year, it's pretty clear that the change (purple) has been primarily thrown low and away to Chris.
http://pitchfx.texasleaguers.com/batter ... F16%2F2012

I am a little surprised he does not see more change ups to be honest after looking at this.

Chris has a long extension with his hands and can crush the ball opposite field when he makes contact. The hardest part for him is staying back on the ball. Especially the change.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Chris Davis Against The Change

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » August 19th, 2012, 9:45 am

He may after the rest of the AL reads this LOL ... 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » August 19th, 2012, 10:40 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:He may after the rest of the AL reads this LOL ... 8-)

Porcello actually struck him out on 3 change ups yesterday! 2 of them low and away.

Of course he then drilled a low and away 93 MPH fastball out of the park.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 19th, 2012, 3:19 pm

The deputy goin yard back to back games 8-)
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » August 19th, 2012, 8:41 pm

This is from yesterday where Rick Porcello had a 3 change up strike out of Davis:

However, both fastballs this series that were placed in that location were HR.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Adam Wolff » August 19th, 2012, 8:49 pm

I'm not sure you could pay me to throw Davis a FB if I were a pitcher. Offspeed, low and away, and you've got a good shot at getting him out. Nice to see him punish the fastballs in the zone, though.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » August 19th, 2012, 9:00 pm

Adam Wolff wrote:I'm not sure you could pay me to throw Davis a FB if I were a pitcher. Offspeed, low and away, and you've got a good shot at getting him out. Nice to see him punish the fastballs in the zone, though.

Well they will have to throw him a Fastball every once in a while :D . But yea, I would probably try and keep him as off-balanced as possible. He's just like Reynolds to me though. When they are seeing the ball, watch out! When they are not... well you can pretty much throw anything by them.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Adam Wolff » August 19th, 2012, 10:21 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Well they will have to throw him a Fastball every once in a while :D . But yea, I would probably try and keep him as off-balanced as possible. He's just like Reynolds to me though. When they are seeing the ball, watch out! When they are not... well you can pretty much throw anything by them.

Haha yeah, the token fastball to keep him honest should be all he gets.

The Reynolds comp is a good one. When it's going good, it's great, and when it's not going well, you wonder if they should even start on one of the Little League World Series teams.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 19th, 2012, 10:28 pm

Adam Wolff wrote:
Haha yeah, the token fastball to keep him honest should be all he gets.

The Reynolds comp is a good one. When it's going good, it's great, and when it's not going well, you wonder if they should even start on one of the Little League World Series teams.

A good team simply can't afford as many of those kind of hitters as we have. We're going to need to make some selective changes this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by Matt P » August 19th, 2012, 11:50 pm

I don't think Reynolds and Davis are as much alike as you guys are saying. Reynolds gets on base, works walks, has power, and is a much better defensive player at 1B. Davis has power, that's about it. I look at Davis as more of a Luke Scott type without the walks than Reynolds.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » August 20th, 2012, 9:34 am

Matt P wrote:I don't think Reynolds and Davis are as much alike as you guys are saying. Reynolds gets on base, works walks, has power, and is a much better defensive player at 1B. Davis has power, that's about it. I look at Davis as more of a Luke Scott type without the walks than Reynolds.
I didn't mean they were alike, just when they are hot they are crushing the ball
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #12 by ofahn » August 20th, 2012, 9:41 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I didn't mean they were alike, just when they are hot they are crushing the ball

...and when they're not they're black holes in the lineup. IMO that similarity alone make any differences between them inconsequential.

Chicks dig the long ball, but OPS and defense win ball games.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles