Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds needs to go

Re: Reynolds needs to go

PostPost #61 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 8:39 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:That being said if they could keep him for $3 million for another year it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world

In a platoon situation. That would maximize his splits and protect us against another of his long cold spells. His ability to handle throws around the bag is above average. His range is not. He's an average OVERALL defender at best.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #62 by DashingDave314 » August 17th, 2012, 11:49 am

Did Mark Reynolds read this thread just before the Boston series?
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #63 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 11:50 am

DashingDave314 wrote:Did Mark Reynolds read this thread just before the Boston series?

Maybe, but the more logical answer is that he's just being himself. A pure streak hitter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #64 by DashingDave314 » August 17th, 2012, 12:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
Maybe, but the more logical answer is that he's just being himself. A pure streak hitter.

Sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet haha. I'm his biggest critic, but as much as I hate saying this... do we even have a legitimate first base option in 2013 if we don't resign Reynolds (assuming we don't pick up that hilarious option of his)? Davis might actually be worse defensively and Betemit has proven that he can't be trusted with a starting job anywhere.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #65 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 12:31 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:
Sarcasm is hard to detect over the internet haha. I'm his biggest critic, but as much as I hate saying this... do we even have a legitimate first base option in 2013 if we don't resign Reynolds (assuming we don't pick up that hilarious option of his)? Davis might actually be worse defensively and Betemit has proven that he can't be trusted with a starting job anywhere.

The solution will probably come from outside the organization.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #66 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 17th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Matt P wrote:That 0.3 WAR you keep bringing up also includes his horrible 3B play last season. His oWAR last season was 2.9 according to Baseball Reference. How exactly is he extremely streaky? He usually starts off bad then picks up for the rest of the season before tailing off in September. Plus, his September stats are messed up because he played the entire month one season when he was hurt and had no business playing.

Who are you replacing him with at 1B next year?

2010:
Mar/Apr-.932 OPS
May-.732 OPS
June-.770 OPS
July-.864 OPS
2011:
Mar/Apr-.566 OPS
May-.778 OPS
June-1.112 OPS
July-.783 OPS

I would call that streaky... The games in the first couple months of the season where he is a BLACK HOLE in the lineup count toward the team's final record too so you can't just write them off because he's a slow starter.

I seriously doubt it would be that hard to replace Reynolds with a cheaper more consistent first baseman. There are plenty of possibilities out there through FA and trades.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #67 by DashingDave314 » August 17th, 2012, 1:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
The solution will probably come from outside the organization.

That begs the question: Who? It'll probably have to be via trade unless we want Carlos Pena, who is basically Mark Reynolds. Maybe take a shot with Mike Napoli?
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #68 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 1:13 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
2010:
Mar/Apr-.932 OPS
May-.732 OPS
June-.770 OPS
July-.864 OPS
2011:
Mar/Apr-.566 OPS
May-.778 OPS
June-1.112 OPS
July-.783 OPS

I would call that streaky... The games in the first couple months of the season where he is a BLACK HOLE in the lineup count toward the team's final record too so you can't just write them off because he's a slow starter.

I seriously doubt it would be that hard to replace Reynolds with a cheaper more consistent first baseman. There are plenty of possibilities out there through FA and trades.

Again, a black hole doesn't work the count and draw as many walks as Reynolds does. A black hole is someone like Luke Scott or Chris Davis who go down on 4 pitches or less 90% of the time when they are cold.

Who are you replacing him with that is cheaper and more consistent?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #69 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 1:16 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:Maybe take a shot with Mike Napoli?

First, I think he will be trying to sell himself as a catcher to improve his value. Second, IMO he's not worth anything more that a one year contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #70 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 1:17 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:That begs the question: Who?

I'd be happy with a platoon with good splits as long as both players are solid defensively. I could even live with Reynolds as the RH part of that since he would get the smaller amount of playing time at 1B. I don't see him as accepting that role at this point in his career.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #71 by DashingDave314 » August 17th, 2012, 1:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'd be happy with a platoon with good splits as long as both players are solid defensively.

LH Options: James Loney, Lyle Overbay, Casey Kotchman...

RH Options: Ty Wigginton, Mark Reynolds

We should PROBABLY explore the trade market...
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

PostPost #72 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 2:02 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:
LH Options: James Loney, Lyle Overbay, Casey Kotchman...

...or some combination of both.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #73 by Adam Wolff » August 17th, 2012, 3:43 pm

DashingDave314 wrote:LH Options: James Loney, Lyle Overbay, Casey Kotchman...

Yeah, that's definitely grim. I'm still supportive of putting together a package for Headley..
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #74 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 17th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Matt P wrote:Again, a black hole doesn't work the count and draw as many walks as Reynolds does. A black hole is someone like Luke Scott or Chris Davis who go down on 4 pitches or less 90% of the time when they are cold.

Who are you replacing him with that is cheaper and more consistent?

A black hole strikes out in over 30% of his plate appearances and while he may walk in around 10-14% of his plate appearances during his slump, the vast majority of the other 85+% of the plate appearances are completely unproductive.

I don't have every MLB organization's depth chart so I can't name all of the possibilities when it comes to trades but some of the options would be:

-Lyle Overbay has pretty good splits against RHP and by most accounts is a much better defender than Reynolds.
-According to MLBTR Lance Berkman should be available and while he's injury prone and old he can still rake
-Carlos Lee will be available and could be part of a platoon at 1B/DH w/ C Davis and Betemit
-Of course Swisher and Napoli will be available although neither seem like reasonable fits for the O's

Nobody can predict the trade market for either veteran players or near ML ready prospects who can play first base so trying to name a potential trade target would be both foolish and unnecessary. Needless to say there are plenty of options to fill the need at first base and Reynolds is one of them but he is lower on my list and would only be desirable on a cheap deal with partially limited at bats.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #75 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 4:15 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I don't have every MLB organization's depth chart so I can't name all of the possibilities when it comes to trades but some of the options would be

Another reason to try to find some ABs for Mahoney. Between that and sending him to the AFL we can get a chance to see what we've got.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles