Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Machado's Defense and Position

Re: Machado's Defense and Position

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » August 16th, 2012, 11:32 am

I think Lindstrom and Patton should be our seventh inning duo next year. I would cut bait with Ayala and try and bring in a rubber arm long man 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by mikezpen » August 16th, 2012, 1:20 pm

I'm not sure Machado is ready as a hitter to take over full time at short next year. He mite need another year in the minors. However I mite take that chance if they fill the hole at third they create by moving him.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 1:43 pm

mikezpen wrote:I'm not sure Machado is ready as a hitter to take over full time at short next year.

What have you seen so far that would give you that concern?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 1:56 am

Ayala isn't much better than Gregg. I'd rather see Pomeranz than Ayala in the bullpen next year.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by Tucker Blair » August 17th, 2012, 2:11 am

ofahn wrote:
What have you seen so far that would give you that concern?

As a SS his bat is MORE than enough right now. In fact, one could argue his production at SS would be in the upper echelon (top 15 I would say). At 3B it probably takes a hit, for now until he develops more.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #21 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 8:44 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:As a SS his bat is MORE than enough right now. In fact, one could argue his production at SS would be in the upper echelon (top 15 I would say). At 3B it probably takes a hit, for now until he develops more.

Agreed. That's why I would be willing to trade for Headley this winter and use the return from a Hardy trade to cover the expense.

Hardy is a plus defender but he's moving to the downside of his career and his free swinging ways are a drag on the lineup that has SO many others like him. Chicks dig the long ball but OPS wins games.

Machado is the future. Let's move forward ASAP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #22 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm

From reading Kubatko's article it seems like Machado should have made that play that led to the Boston runs off Ayala last night. The radio announcers made it seem like it was a very difficult play. What exactly happened?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by osforlife » August 17th, 2012, 3:39 pm

Matt P wrote:From reading Kubatko's article it seems like Machado should have made that play that led to the Boston runs off Ayala last night. The radio announcers made it seem like it was a very difficult play. What exactly happened?

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 7&c_id=mlb
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #24 by Tucker Blair » August 17th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Matt P wrote:From reading Kubatko's article it seems like Machado should have made that play that led to the Boston runs off Ayala last night. The radio announcers made it seem like it was a very difficult play. What exactly happened?

It was a tough play with him so deep. Hard to give him an error there, but it was probably a play that could have been made.
He's going to take his lumps there, so I am not going to worry about it.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #25 by Matt P » August 18th, 2012, 12:59 am

Can you believe they gave Machado an error on the the play where Reynolds and Showalter got tossed? Unreal.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by osforlife » August 18th, 2012, 9:08 am

Matt P wrote:Can you believe they gave Machado an error on the the play where Reynolds and Showalter got tossed? Unreal.

Yeah that was ridiculous. There have been misplays this season that went as hits that my little league team would have called errors last year. And how is that called an error and the dribbler Manny botched on Thursday called a hit? …………………
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #27 by Adam Wolff » August 18th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Manny's defense at 3rd has been very solid. Along with Hardy, Q, and Reynold's surprising defense at 1st, I feel pretty good about our infield defense these days.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #28 by Matt P » August 19th, 2012, 3:22 pm

Adam Wolff wrote:Manny's defense at 3rd has been very solid. Along with Hardy, Q, and Reynold's surprising defense at 1st, I feel pretty good about our infield defense these days.

I know McLouth missed a fly ball last night but I feel he upgrades LF too. IMO they have a good defensive team at this point.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Adam Wolff » August 19th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Matt P wrote:I know McLouth missed a fly ball last night but I feel he upgrades LF too. IMO they have a good defensive team at this point.

Yep, I agree. Very uncharacteristic play by McLouth, but overall he's a good LFer. Jones makes the occasional poor read, but is ultimately a good CFer and, while I think Nick is overrated a bit by many O's fans (myself included) he's still solid in RF with an above average arm.

Team defense really is not a problem anymore. It's very refreshing and absolutely necessary when you have aspirations of playing meaningful baseball in September.
@AdamWolff
Adam Wolff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #30 by Tucker Blair » August 19th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Machado's arm is something else!

It sure looks a lot stronger on TV than when watching down at Bowie. He's really been impressive so far. There are still a few kinks I am seeing with footwork and such, but it's been a great patch in that 3B hole.
You can tell he is learning with each and every game. Especially at the plate.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles