Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Tillman's decreasing velocity

Re: Chris Tillman's decreasing velocity

PostPost #16 by DougDE » August 8th, 2012, 7:30 pm

The thing that concerns me about this is that it seems like it has happened before and then he started getting lit up. The graph shows that it did seem to happen before over a 3 season span, and we all know how bad he became. Hopefully this is something different tho, where he is more intentionally doing it to gain movement or command. Do think some people are jumping to conclusions that he's turned a corner a little too quickly tho
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #17 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 1:57 am

The velocity was back tonight. MASN had him at 96 in the 3rd inning. Still a very disappointing outing but at least the velocity is back.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #18 by Tucker Blair » August 17th, 2012, 2:09 am

Matt P wrote:The velocity was back tonight. MASN had him at 96 in the 3rd inning. Still a very disappointing outing but at least the velocity is back.

Indeed. I think tonight was more about failing multiple times with his secondary pitches. Change was good early on and then lost it. Curve was a mess tonight. Also not sure why him and Wieters decided to NOT throw his fastball as much. Palmer mentioned that too, and I was literally thinking that.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #19 by Matt P » August 17th, 2012, 2:21 am

I was listening to most of the game on WEEI (for some reason WBAL sucks on At Bat). They were talking about how he spent a lot of time in the off season with Jim Palmer. That's the first I ever heard of him with Palmer. They talked about how they talked to Palmer about it and how they don't understand why other O's pitchers don't spend time with him. Has nothing to do with his velocity but this is the only Tillman thread currently up lol.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #20 by ofahn » August 17th, 2012, 8:36 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Indeed. I think tonight was more about failing multiple times with his secondary pitches. Change was good early on and then lost it. Curve was a mess tonight. Also not sure why him and Wieters decided to NOT throw his fastball as much. Palmer mentioned that too, and I was literally thinking that.

Good pitchers learn how to keep their team in the game when they don't have their good stuff. His FB is good enough that just mixing it with a change up should give the team a chance to win. Tillman just has to have confidence in it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » August 17th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Tillman needs to develop an "out" pitch; otherwise he is doomed for these 5 inning/100 pitch outings 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles