Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Machado's Defense and Position

Machado's Defense and Position

PostPost #1 by legmason » August 15th, 2012, 9:30 am

I'm just now watching the game from last night and Machado made two really impressive plays early in the game on balls that he had to charge and make impeccable throws to first on. I figured he could play third and be decent but I expected a little more of an adjustment on the bunts and dribblers. Really impressive. He sure looks smooth out there.

If we keep Hardy (who's signed for two more years) my guess is that he stays at short and Machado plays 3rd until 2015. I just don't see them trading an above average shortstop in Hardy to make room for Machado. Duequette has shown me that he wants to do anything and everything he can to win now and trading Hardy doesn't seem to fit that mo.

I could be wrong on this next part but I don't see them moving Hardy to third for the remainder of his contract in order to slide Machado to short. Schoop could play third in the future and that may well be the best position defensively for him down the road but he's only played up the middle the entire year and my thinking is that the O's see him as their future 2nd baseman.

If only we had nice young first baseman in AA. sigh.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Machado's Defense and Position

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2012, 12:23 pm

I agree with all of this.

It would be nice if more of the pitching had developed so that they could have pulled a deal similar to the Michael Pineda and Jesus Montero swap.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I agree with all of this.

It would be nice if more of the pitching had developed so that they could have pulled a deal similar to the Michael Pineda and Jesus Montero swap.

I can see DD deciding to use some of the pitching we have to fill the hole at 1B, and then buy a SP or two on the free agent market this winter. These are SO many solid veterans that will be available on one or two year deals that we should be able to add at least one solid contributor for 2013.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by A_K » August 15th, 2012, 3:30 pm

I don't see why trading JJ Hardy couldn't be part of an attempt to win now. Or why we couldn't consider playing Machado at his natural position and moving Hardy to 2B, where we still don't have a legitimate option for next year.

And while Machado has looked great at third and we could certainly consider moving him there until Hardy's contract is up, we also have about 7 relievers having career years who should all be considered potential trade chips in the offseason. Packaging a few of those could bring in a legitimate option at the hot corner, while Machado and Hardy each shift over one position.

My concern is that the longer Machado stays at third, the less the chance of him ever becoming a SS again. He's got a bat that plays at third no matter what, but we maximize his value by keeping him in the center of the diamond.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 3:44 pm

A_K wrote:we also have about 7 relievers having career years who should all be considered potential trade chips in the offseason

Ayala, Lindstrom, and Gregg will be free agents and will probably move on. Jim Johnson should have his highest trade value if they think they can replace him with close to equal performance. Strop, Patton, and O'Day should be considered keepers and we control them rather inexpensively for years to come.

We also have some options is AAA. Steve Johnson's role is yet to be defined. So is Wada's; and that's before you begin the discussion on what to do with Arrieta, Matusz, and Hunter. Miguel Gonzalez and Stu Pomeranz have proven they can be successful at the ML level, too. It's a good problem to have.

All of that is long way of saying that if I was going to trade any part of our bullpen this winter it would JJ.

I have also posted previously that I would trade Hardy and try to acquire Headley. I see that as the best long term plan for both offense and defense.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 15th, 2012, 3:51 pm

A_K wrote:I don't see why trading JJ Hardy couldn't be part of an attempt to win now. Or why we couldn't consider playing Machado at his natural position and moving Hardy to 2B, where we still don't have a legitimate option for next year.

That could work, and I kind of like the idea.

When Schoop is ready, have Hardy play 2B, Machado play SS, and Jonathan Schoop play 3B. Of course Schoop and Hardy could switch but either way the priority is to have Machado playing SS.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #7 by A_K » August 15th, 2012, 3:56 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote: either way the priority is to have Machado playing SS.

Bingo.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #8 by Matt P » August 15th, 2012, 6:19 pm

That throw you are talking about was incredible. That was a Tejada type throw from 6 years back when he was in his prime. Last night was the first I got to watch him and he looked pretty good at 3B. If one knew nothing about him I can't imagine he/she would think it was only his 7th game at 3B in his career.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by osforlife » August 15th, 2012, 9:44 pm

ofahn wrote:
Ayala, Lindstrom, and Gregg will be free agents and will probably move on.

We have club options on Ayala and Lindstrom. Gregg's option vests if he finishes 50 games which he won't. I'd be happy to keep Ayala and Lindstrom.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 9:46 pm

osforlife wrote:We have club options on Ayala and Lindstrom. Gregg's option vests if he finishes 50 games which he won't. I'd be happy to keep Ayala and Lindstrom.

I'd be willing to keep Lindstrom but Ayala's Inherited Runners Scored numbers are awful. Pass.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » August 15th, 2012, 9:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'd be willing to keep Lindstrom but Ayala's Inherited Runners Scored numbers are awful. Pass.

Where can I find that stat? I'd like to see that. Still, there is something to be said about his ERA. He is an effective reliever at a very nice price. So, he's not really an ideal guy to put in when theres nobody out and a runner on second. But give him the start of an inning, and he's gonna get you closer to JJ.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 9:58 pm

osforlife wrote:Where can I find that stat? I'd like to see that. Still, there is something to be said about his ERA. He is an effective reliever at a very nice price. So, he's not really an ideal guy to put in when theres nobody out and a runner on second. But give him the start of an inning, and he's gonna get you closer to JJ.

Yes, he's more of an asset if he starts an inning, but I think we have better options internally if we want to use the money somewhere else.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » August 15th, 2012, 10:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yes, he's more of an asset if he starts an inning, but I think we have better options internally if we want to use the money somewhere else.

If we vest(if thats what you call it) his club option he's only gonna make 1mil next year. Internally(Arrieta, Matusz, S.Johnson, Pomeranz, Gonzalez) has never had sustained success in the majors like Ayala has.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 10:09 pm

osforlife wrote:Where can I find that stat?

I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw it but I know it's bad. May be the worst ratio on the team. He just seems like a different pitcher when the bases are empty.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by legmason » August 16th, 2012, 8:55 am

ofahn wrote:
I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw it but I know it's bad. May be the worst ratio on the team. He just seems like a different pitcher when the bases are empty.

You're right but I haven't actually read it...pretty sure I've just heard it on the o's broadcasts several time
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles