Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#35 Prospect - Rick Zagone

#35 Prospect - Rick Zagone

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 28th, 2011, 12:33 am

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=8626

One of the most consistent pitchers in the system, Rick Zagone has posted solid numbers every step of the way throughout his three year minor league career. He was a sixth round selection out of The University of Missouri back in 2008, signing to a $150,000 bonus. Fans questioned the selection at the time, as Zagone posted a 5.25 ERA in his junior year while allowing 75 hits in 70 innings.

Full top 50 list
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #35 Prospect - Rick Zagone

PostPost #2 by Don » February 28th, 2011, 9:04 am

I like Zagone a bit more than most do because he has the ability to stay healthy with sound mechanics that do not place un-wanted pressure. The combination of his stuff and the funky aspects of his windup make him a great change of pace guy in the long relief or mid-inning relief pitcher. He is never overpowering, but he finds the plate and can make hitter overthink at the plate. They are use to everyone throwing gas and this guy come up hitting 88 and mid to lower 80 offspeed.

You never know. I thought when I was younger than Jamie Moyer was going to be blow out of the water with that weak cheese. He found a way to miss bats and works maybe the best combination of stuff that you really have to tip your hat off. This being said everyone has the change of pace guys in the organziation and very few pan out long term.

Still for a 6th round college pitcher who has some average stuff compared to the gas throwers, he finds a way to have some mild success. I think you can see him at least have a shot out the bullpen with the Orioles, if Troy Patton struggles in the role.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: #35 Prospect - Rick Zagone

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » February 28th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Don wrote:I like Zagone a bit more than most do because he has the ability to stay healthy with sound mechanics that do not place un-wanted pressure. The combination of his stuff and the funky aspects of his windup make him a great change of pace guy in the long relief or mid-inning relief pitcher. He is never overpowering, but he finds the plate and can make hitter overthink at the plate. They are use to everyone throwing gas and this guy come up hitting 88 and mid to lower 80 offspeed.

You never know. I thought when I was younger than Jamie Moyer was going to be blow out of the water with that weak cheese. He found a way to miss bats and works maybe the best combination of stuff that you really have to tip your hat off. This being said everyone has the change of pace guys in the organziation and very few pan out long term.

Still for a 6th round college pitcher who has some average stuff compared to the gas throwers, he finds a way to have some mild success. I think you can see him at least have a shot out the bullpen with the Orioles, if Troy Patton struggles in the role.

Don I laughed when I read your post, because when I have seen Rick pitch, I always wonder to myself how is he doing this? Doesn't seem to have a single dominent pitch, yet somehow, just gets the job done. If he could get an out pitch, I think he would definitiely have a place in the bigs. As is, potential journeyman.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Return to Minor Leagues