Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #1 by Baysox347 » August 15th, 2012, 9:05 pm

I had never seen Manny Machado before watching him with the O's...and man has he shocked me.

I knew he was good but I did not expect him AT ALL to play third base this well...

He has even held his own in every at-bat and works the count.

He is such a joy to watch. It's nice to have exciting young players like him on the team that actually perform!
Baysox347
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 23
Joined: August 2012
Reputation Score: 4

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 15th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Saw him make a play like that in Bowie about a month ago. Except that was at SS.

I've been saying it all year, but he has a good glove. It's plays like that which make one excited about him.
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 15th, 2012, 10:13 pm

His glove has been a decent suprise at third. I see him struggling offensively, but we'll get to that if it gets to that. Poor Betemit though. He was signed this offseason to become the DH, which was taken by Chris Davis because of his inability to play 1st base. Once we move Davis into left, we aqcuire Thome to become the DH. All the while, Betemit is forced into the 3rd base position because of Reynold's inability to play there. His spot gets taken by a 20-year-old shortstop forcing him into a platoon at 1st, right when Reynolds gets hot and is playing magnificent at 1st. The whole time he has been a great hitter against righties. He'll get more playing time if Machado struggles. Which I don't want haha :) This is a good problem to have though.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1628
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 59

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 10:16 pm

osforlife wrote:His glove has been a decent suprise at third. I see him struggling offensively, but we'll get to that if it gets to that. Poor Betemit though. He was signed this offseason to become the DH, which was taken by Chris Davis because of his inability to play 1st base. Once we move Davis into left, we aqcuire Thome to become the DH. All the while, Betemit is forced into the 3rd base position because of Reynold's inability to play there. His spot gets taken by a 20-year-old shortstop forcing him into a platoon at 1st, right when Reynolds gets hot and is playing magnificent at 1st. The whole time he has been a great hitter against righties. He'll get more playing time if Machado struggles. Which I don't want haha :) This is a good problem to have though.


MPSOD*! POINTS!

*Most Profound Statement Of The Day
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #5 by Matt P » August 16th, 2012, 1:37 pm

He's made a couple of plays that Betemit would have never had a chance at.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #6 by Matt P » August 16th, 2012, 1:38 pm

osforlife wrote:His glove has been a decent suprise at third. I see him struggling offensively, but we'll get to that if it gets to that. Poor Betemit though. He was signed this offseason to become the DH, which was taken by Chris Davis because of his inability to play 1st base. Once we move Davis into left, we aqcuire Thome to become the DH. All the while, Betemit is forced into the 3rd base position because of Reynold's inability to play there. His spot gets taken by a 20-year-old shortstop forcing him into a platoon at 1st, right when Reynolds gets hot and is playing magnificent at 1st. The whole time he has been a great hitter against righties. He'll get more playing time if Machado struggles. Which I don't want haha :) This is a good problem to have though.

Betemit was signed to be a platoon DH against right handed pitching who could fill in at 1B and 3B if needed.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » August 18th, 2012, 11:44 am

Looks like he has a nice future but still think he's being rushed a bit 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » August 19th, 2012, 10:35 pm

They're starting to get him out pretty consistently by jamming him inside and popping him up.He did get a couple of lousy strike calls today though.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 252
Joined: June 2012
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » August 24th, 2012, 11:26 pm

Yes, had a nice start but its time to reconsider options at third. AA? AAA? Might as well save rookie status for when he's ready to go permanently.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » August 24th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Yes, had a nice start but its time to reconsider options at third. AA? AAA? Might as well save rookie status for when he's ready to go permanently.


what?
He's been fine. His defense alone has been terrific.
He has been fine at the plate too. He's had around 50 PA. What better options are there? I sure don't see any
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #11 by Matt P » August 25th, 2012, 1:47 am

He could bat 9th in the order and not hit all that well and still be a tremendous upgrade at 3B by his defense alone. There is no other option in the organization better than him for 3B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » August 25th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Well you are right for 50 plate appearances its not bad at all. I just want a guy who was advertised to hit for average and power. He's only walked once so far which is a little alarming to me. He's supposed to be an advanced hitter. I fear the early promotion hurts him long term.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » August 25th, 2012, 5:10 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
what?
He's been fine. His defense alone has been terrific.
He has been fine at the plate too. He's had around 50 PA. What better options are there? I sure don't see any


Hanley Ramirez? Oh that boat sailed before Machado because the O's were scared.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #14 by ofahn » August 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Rising O's wrote:Hanley Ramirez? Oh that boat sailed before Machado because the O's were scared.


I won't criticize the team for passing on Ramirez. I felt his ego would motivate him to produce THIS year, but I was concerned about NEXT year and 2014. He has a history of putting himself before the team when he gets bored.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado has been beyond impressive

PostPost #15 by Matt P » August 26th, 2012, 12:53 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Well you are right for 50 plate appearances its not bad at all. I just want a guy who was advertised to hit for average and power. He's only walked once so far which is a little alarming to me. He's supposed to be an advanced hitter. I fear the early promotion hurts him long term.


How can it possibly hurt him long term?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Seafordeagles and 3 guests

cron