Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Sleeper Prospects In The Orioles System

Sleeper Prospects In The Orioles System

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » August 14th, 2012, 12:41 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/08/14/sl ... es-system/

For me, a sleeper prospect is simply a player that is flying a bit under the radar or a player that is on the verge of breaking out as a prospect but still has a few things to iron out. Here are a few “sleepers” in the Orioles system.

I touched on Juan Guzman, Gregory Lorenzo, Jaime Esquivel, and Jose Nivar.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Sleeper Prospects In The Orioles System

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » August 14th, 2012, 1:01 pm

I know people like how hard Nivar throws, and I know this whole pitching thing is new to him, but I just don't ever see the control coming around on him.

I do like what I've seen out of Lorenzo the few times I've seen him. You classify him right as under the radar, and I think its some time before he emerges from under it (lots to work on), but he has a lot of raw talents that I like.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by orioles » August 14th, 2012, 4:29 pm

I was in Aberdeen last week and saw Bennett Parry strike out 10 in 4 innings (he struck out the side in order back to back innings). I wasn’t familiar with him before but I came away a true believer. I’ve never seen such a tall pitcher (6’6 lefty) hide the ball so well. By the time the batter was able to pick up the ball it was more than half way to the plate. I haven’t heard him mentioned much when talking about top prospects. Do you know where he fits into the O’s plans? I also saw the other lefties pitch for the Ironbirds (Rutledge and Coffey) and Parry was by far the most talented. I saw that Rutledge was listed as a top 20 prospect but Parry wasn’t mentioned. Rutledge is a great prospect but if you saw them both in person back to back I believe you’d come to the conclusion that Parry is more impressive and has a much higher up side.
orioles
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by Aaron » August 15th, 2012, 6:06 am

Great hearing about Lorenzo as he's having a great season. I'm really liking what the O's are doing by going after these toolsy young outfielders. They present a ton of upside, I just hope that we are patient with them like how we've been with Webb. I'm looking forward to the continuing growth from players like Lorenzo, Simmons, Hunnicutt, Aguilar, Hernandez and Bernadina.
Aaron
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

Return to Minor Leagues