Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Gausman next start will be for Frederick

Gausman next start will be for Frederick

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 14th, 2012, 8:34 pm

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... ovich.html

Any chance we could see Gausman in Baltimore this season? Not as a starter of course but if he keeps dominating could he be called up to be a reliever?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Gausman next start will be for Frederick

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 14th, 2012, 8:36 pm

No way this season.
But I seriously think he is on the fast track. I think we all have come to the conclusion that next season he starts at Frederick. But it's not even that obscure to say he could start at AA. I doubt he is challenged too much until he reaches Bowie anyways.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 14th, 2012, 8:41 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:No way this season.

Finding a spot for him on the 40 Man Roster could be as much of a deterrent as anything else.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by legmason » August 14th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Pretty excited about him being not far behind Bundy as far as development and the minor league levels go. 2013 could be really exciting as far as prospect debuts go. The potential exists that we could see Bundy, Gausman and Schoop all debut at some point in the same season...provided they don't bring Bundy up this year that is. Either way good things to come and the rotation competition is only going to increase which can only bode well.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2012, 11:05 pm

I'll likely be at Frederick for his debut.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 15th, 2012, 6:50 am

legmason wrote:Pretty excited about him being not far behind Bundy as far as development and the minor league levels go. 2013 could be really exciting as far as prospect debuts go. The potential exists that we could see Bundy, Gausman and Schoop all debut at some point in the same season...provided they don't bring Bundy up this year that is. Either way good things to come and the rotation competition is only going to increase which can only bode well.

Keep in mind that both Bundy and Gausman will be on innings limitations next year. I can see Bundy limited to no more that 175 and Gausman between 150 and 175 based on factors as yet unknown.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » August 15th, 2012, 9:13 am

Honestly it's not that much of a shock. To be honest I was wondering why he pitched for Aberdeen at all. Nothing against the short season team but the guy was a big time college pitcher. When DD said it would be really good to get him meaningful playing time this season being important when he signed, Then debuted in Aberdeen seemed a tad off to me anyway.

My only real hope is that his pitch counts are modest. Two to three innings at most and cut it there. He really has pitched a lot this year.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #8 by osforlife » August 15th, 2012, 12:07 pm

I was thinking half his starts at Aberdeen and half his starts at Delmarva this year and then start him at Frederick. I'am kinda an organizational freak and I want everything to be in order, neat, etc. In a baseball sense, I hate when minor leaguers skip a afficiate as Gausman is doing here. It probably doesn't make much sense, but I just do. Overall, I guess I just like when the Orioles take their time with prospects and let them spend at least half a year at each afficiate. Haha thats why I was kinda against the Machado move because he hasn't even touched AAA, but its been impressive watching him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #9 by dan72 » August 16th, 2012, 4:34 pm

I would guestimate that the earliest we will see Gausman in Baltimore would be September 2013. Anyone think earlier? I guess that would depend on our position in the standings next year combined with our need for pitching.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 16th, 2012, 4:40 pm

dan72 wrote:I would guestimate that the earliest we will see Gausman in Baltimore would be September 2013. Anyone think earlier? I guess that would depend on our position in the standings next year combined with our need for pitching.

With Gausman being a college pitcher I could see him moving faster. That doesn't mean he should be rushed, and I hope they don't.

I see his stint at Frederick as telling. If he's dominant there then I could see him READY to come to Baltimore by mid season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » August 16th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Think of him as in line with what Trevor Bauer, Gerrit Cole, and all those guys did this year.

Not comparing them at all, but he's got the same polish as players in that aspect. Will move roughly the same. It's really hard to predict what happens once he lands in AA though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

Return to Minor Leagues