Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #76 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 1:04 pm

Matt P wrote:
No, but Britton isn't recovering anymore either. If he was, he wouldn't be pitching.

I'd have to go back through Roch's posts but I believe I read within the last six weeks that he or DD mentioned that he was recovering from an injury. They were referring to restoring his control.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #77 by osforlife » August 13th, 2012, 1:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
When you say free agents are you talking about one year signings, or are you referring to stupid money, long term franchise wreckers? The Royals won't be in the Grienke hunt; nor will they be trading for Cliff Lee, even if he would go there. They just don't have the budget for it.

I was thinking one free agent pitcher on like a three year deal wouldn't be too much for their payroll. Somebody like Kyle Lohse wouldn't break the bank
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #78 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 1:43 pm

osforlife wrote:Somebody like Kyle Lohse wouldn't break the bank

Have you asked HIM about that? Just kidding.

Kyle will be looking for about 4/60M, and if he doesn't get that I don't think that KC will be his first choice for a lesser contract.
Last edited by ofahn on August 13th, 2012, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #79 by osforlife » August 13th, 2012, 2:49 pm

ofahn wrote:
I have you asked HIM about that? Just kidding.

Kyle will be looking for about 4/60M, and if he doesn't get that I don't think that KC will be his first choice for a lesser contract.

Perhaps he wasn't the best example because he is a Scott Coras client. He's been pitching in the National League and has only been a TOR pitcher for the last two years. Before that, he's never pitched like anything above a #4 with the exception of 2008 (also national league). He'll be 34 soon. Scott Boras will probably get a team to overpay but I was thinking like 3/33M. Not something that will put your team in a finanical hole for years.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #80 by DougDE » August 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm

ofahn wrote:At this point I wouldn't count on any of those three for next year, nor Britton and Hunter either. Tillman might change my mind with consistent pitching down the stretch; and I'm inclined to give Britton a pass for this year because he's coming back from a shoulder problem, but that doesn't mean I'll pencil him into the rotation. IMO trading a couple of those guys to fill a big hole is NOT going to create another one.

Dont always agree with what you're saying but I think this paragraph is dead on
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #81 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 4:03 pm

DougDE wrote:Dont always agree with what you're saying

That puts you in good company with my girlfriend......and my kids.......and we won't EVEN talk about my friends when we get together to discuss politics!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #82 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 4:39 pm

osforlife wrote:Perhaps he wasn't the best example because he is a Scott Coras client. He's been pitching in the National League and has only been a TOR pitcher for the last two years. Before that, he's never pitched like anything above a #4 with the exception of 2008 (also national league). He'll be 34 soon. Scott Boras will probably get a team to overpay but I was thinking like 3/33M. Not something that will put your team in a finanical hole for years.

Even a 3/33M contract for a 34 YO pitcher could seriously hurt the Royals. With their revenues they need to spend every dollar carefully. They also have the pleasant problem of all of that young talent coming up at the same time. The downside of that is that will be arbitration eligible about the same time and the Royals will see their payroll go through the roof. 11M for a pitcher that isn't producing would put a serious crimp in their budget.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #83 by DougDE » August 13th, 2012, 8:36 pm

It wouldnt be unprecedented for the Royals to give a fairly big multiyear deal to a pitcher tho. They gave Meche something like 5/50 a few years back
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #84 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 8:47 pm

DougDE wrote:It wouldnt be unprecedented for the Royals to give a fairly big multiyear deal to a pitcher tho. They gave Meche something like 5/50 a few years back

...and that contract didn't work very well for them. Neither did the Jose Guillen contract.

KC is actually in worse shape than we are. The better players don't see them as a first choice and they don't have the payroll budget that we have. Since they haven't been able to develop pitching they're going to have to trade for it. Kind of like us, only in reverse.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #85 by osforlife » August 13th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I see them trading for one pitcher and signing another.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #86 by David » August 13th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Is it safe to say this conversation has evolved away from Machado? ;)
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles