Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Podcast Episode #1: Gausman, Aberdeen, GCL, Bundy

Podcast Episode #1: Gausman, Aberdeen, GCL, Bundy

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 13th, 2012, 4:31 pm

Orioles Nation is proud to announce the addition of a podcast.

Summary of Episode 1:
Tucker and I kick off the first edition of the Orioles Nation podcast with discussions about Kevin Gausman, the Aberdeen IronBirds, my trip to the GCL, and more.

Index
0:00 - Introduction.
0:57 - Thoughts on Kevin Gausman's Ripken Stadium debut and some small talk about if and where he'll get promoted.
5:45 - Tucker shares his thoughts on some IronBirds, including Jaime Esquivel, Sebastian Vader, Jose Nivar, Torsten Boss, and Joel Hutter.
20:42 - Jordan discusses his week long trip to the GCL, including Josh Hader, Adrian Marin, Hector Veloz, Johndaniel Medina, and more.
34:29 - Jordan and Tucker discuss Dylan Bundy and whether or not he'll reach the majors this season.
38:50 - Discussions about Jonathan Schoop playing SS since Manny Machado's promotion to Baltimore.
43:16 - Quick talk about Manny Machado and his early dominance in the majors.
46:32 - Notes on Brenden Webb and his promotion to Frederick.

We would love to get feedback from all of the posters here. Tucker and I are both new to this so all feedback would be welcomed.

Eventually the podcast will be on iTunes, too.

Listen here: http://orioles-nation.com/2012/08/13/on ... episode-1/
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Podcast Episode #1: Gausman, Aberdeen, GCL, Bundy

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 13th, 2012, 5:04 pm

Hope you guys enjoy the podcast. We tried very hard to make it as good as possible.
Seriously would love any constructive criticism.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 13th, 2012, 11:03 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Hope you guys enjoy the podcast. We tried very hard to make it as good as possible.
Seriously would love any constructive criticism.

For sure; that would be excellent.

We should have posted some of those bloopers.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 14th, 2012, 12:41 am

I listened to the beginning. Jordan sounded fine at the start, Tucker sounded really weird like an echo or something, and then Jordan sounded weird too. I stopped listening after the little bit on Gausman. The analysis was fine and I don't mean your voices are weird I just mean the audio is messed up.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2012, 12:56 am

Matt P wrote:I listened to the beginning. Jordan sounded fine at the start, Tucker sounded really weird like an echo or something, and then Jordan sounded weird too. I stopped listening after the little bit on Gausman. The analysis was fine and I don't mean your voices are weird I just mean the audio is messed up.

It's really strange. I don't notice it really but a lot of people pointed it out.

Thanks for the feedback though; we think we may know the cause.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by legmason » August 14th, 2012, 11:43 am

Ditto on the echo on the voices but the content was really good. For some reason the sound cut out for me around the 20 minute mark. Not sure if it was an iPhone issue or what bit I'm going to cue it up again and give it another shot. Really love the idea though as I have about a 30 minute commute to work and this stuff helps pass the time!
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2012, 12:03 pm

legmason wrote:Ditto on the echo on the voices but the content was really good. For some reason the sound cut out for me around the 20 minute mark. Not sure if it was an iPhone issue or what bit I'm going to cue it up again and give it another shot. Really love the idea though as I have about a 30 minute commute to work and this stuff helps pass the time!

Thanks for the feedback!

How were you listening to it? Was it just using the player on your iPhone?

Glad you enjoyed the content.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Tucker Blair » August 14th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Note: The 3/4th arm slot from Winegardner is not necessarily "deceptive", but it's more the hitch and way he comes at the hitter.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » August 14th, 2012, 12:16 pm

First and foremost it was nice to hear voices to add to posts that I read. Secondly for a first go I think you did really well.

The Echo wasn't so bad either. If you use a headset and are chatting on skype and recording it that way, do a quick test record in future goes and work out any kinks in sound.

To be honest, during the off-season during the winter meetings, just before spring training and pre-draft is when a podcast would really be welcome. Perhaps if the team gets a wildcard birth then you could do a show on the match ups. Much of the show was dedicated to some relatively unknowns in short season teams. I liked this (Particularly the discussion about Cameron Coffey). If you plan on continuing this what I would suggest is both of you pick the top-5 players at each level and discuss them. One might see the floor/ceiling for each a little differently. However if your following them and can offer any real insight into a player then it would be welcome for members to hear about.

Just about anyone who tries to pull this sort of thing off relies upon conjecture. You two are no different. With the teams success through the first half of the season expectations will be different. This coming winter the team will have to improve itself under slightly different circumstances. Come the off-season, this could be a great deal of fun playing arm-chair general manager. I would also try to work that into the podcast if you plan to go forward with it.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » August 14th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Thanks!

Great ideas, we will absolutely keep them in mind.
We plan on continuing this, and we will definitely try and get to as many prospects as possible.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #11 by Baysox347 » August 14th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:This coming winter the team will have to improve itself under slightly different circumstances. Come the off-season, this could be a great deal of fun playing arm-chair general manager. I would also try to work that into the podcast if you plan to go forward with it.

I would love this. Is Don coming on anytime?

I enjoyed it. You guys worked pretty smoothly and didn't repeat each other. The content and discussions were filled with information as always. Keep it up and thanks for putting the time into it.
Baysox347
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #12 by A_K » August 14th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Good work, guys. The echo is really strong on my end too, listening from my computer with standard ear buds.

While the analysis was great, I have to say I most appreciated the Baltimore accents. Haven't been back home in a while and it was quite welcome to hear people talking O's with those Bmore accents.

Another thought that I'm sure has occurred to you: if it would mean more frequent episodes, I'd love to hear some shorter spots focusing on a few short-term topics. I can't think of how many days I've woken up before work and wished I could hear smart people talking about the O's for ~15 minutes.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #13 by ofahn » August 14th, 2012, 3:32 pm

A_K wrote:wished I could hear smart people talking about the O's

The sad truth is, that in the past, those kind of discussions WEREN'T always happening INSIDE the Warehouse. Even with the restrictions placed on him DD has been a breath of fresh air in the decision making process.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #14 by A_K » August 14th, 2012, 3:44 pm

ofahn wrote:
The sad truth is, that in the past, those kind of discussions WEREN'T always happening INSIDE the Warehouse. Even with the restrictions placed on him DD has been a breath of fresh air in the decision making process.

Fair enough, though I think MacPhail made a number of great moves that showed an astute understanding of the team and its weaknesses. His trade history continues to look good one year after his exit. His free agent signings, especially with relievers, obviously not so much.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 14th, 2012, 3:56 pm

A_K wrote:Good work, guys. The echo is really strong on my end too, listening from my computer with standard ear buds.

While the analysis was great, I have to say I most appreciated the Baltimore accents. Haven't been back home in a while and it was quite welcome to hear people talking O's with those Bmore accents.

Another thought that I'm sure has occurred to you: if it would mean more frequent episodes, I'd love to hear some shorter spots focusing on a few short-term topics. I can't think of how many days I've woken up before work and wished I could hear smart people talking about the O's for ~15 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions. That sounds like a good idea. We might do something on Bundy after watching him today.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles