Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #61 by Matt P » August 12th, 2012, 1:33 am

ofahn wrote:
If Machado shows he can be a ML 3B in every respect then this winter takes on a whole new dynamic. We could use the assets we might have traded for Headley for something else. I wonder how much pitching it would take to pry Billy Butler from KC?

Why would KC trade Butler? They thought they would be a contender in the AL Central this season and blame their record on injuries. If they thought this year was their year I'm sure they will think the same next year when everyone is healthy.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #62 by ofahn » August 12th, 2012, 7:27 am

Matt P wrote:Why would KC trade Butler? They thought they would be a contender in the AL Central this season and blame their record on injuries. If they thought this year was their year I'm sure they will think the same next year when everyone is healthy.


This past winter KC made it clear that they would trade "prospects" for established ML pitching. This season has been a DISASTER for their starting pitching. There will be a lot of veteran SPs available this winter, but it won't be the controllable pitching with upside that they want to build on. I would not be surprised to see them make a major trade to fill their rotation.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #63 by Matt P » August 12th, 2012, 10:09 pm

ofahn wrote:
This past winter KC made it clear that they would trade "prospects" for established ML pitching. This season has been a DISASTER for their starting pitching. There will be a lot of veteran SPs available this winter, but it won't be the controllable pitching with upside that they want to build on. I would not be surprised to see them make a major trade to fill their rotation.

They would have a huge hole in the middle of their lineup if they traded Butler. It wouldn't be worth it to trade him for guys like Arrieta, Matusz, etc. who have also been disasters this season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #64 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 6:32 am

Matt P wrote:They would have a huge hole in the middle of their lineup if they traded Butler. It wouldn't be worth it to trade him for guys like Arrieta, Matusz, etc. who have also been disasters this season.


I would not be surprised to see them make a major trade to fill their rotation.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #65 by Matt P » August 13th, 2012, 12:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
I would not be surprised to see them make a major trade to fill their rotation.

Who from the O's would qualify as major?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #66 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Matt P wrote:Who from the O's would qualify as major?


It could be us or another team. They would probably want two of these three (Teams will figure out quickly that Bundy is untouchable): Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman. It will be up to the FO to decide whether they think moving that much pitching is a good idea.

At this point I wouldn't count on any of those three for next year, nor Britton and Hunter either. Tillman might change my mind with consistent pitching down the stretch; and I'm inclined to give Britton a pass for this year because he's coming back from a shoulder problem, but that doesn't mean I'll pencil him into the rotation. IMO trading a couple of those guys to fill a big hole is NOT going to create another one.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #67 by osforlife » August 13th, 2012, 12:37 pm

The Royals sure do have a killer offense though. Just imagine what all these young hitter will be like when they become more patient. Salvador Perez is a monster they have until 2017. I fully expect Eric Hosmer to turn it around next year and Moustakas is having a nice sophmore campaign. Alcides is having a terrific year at the plate and is known for having a good glove. I see him on the highlight reel (MLB Network's plays of the week) all the time. Lorenzo Cain is supposed to be really good and we all know Butler is a beast. Gordon is one of the better left fielders in baseball. Getz seems to be a decent slappy 2nd basemen. Hell, even Dyson and Pena are decent back-ups. Their offense is gonna be potent in a few years. Already is. As for their pitching....
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #68 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 12:41 pm

osforlife wrote:The Royals sure do have a killer offense though. Just imagine what all these young hitter will be like when they become more patient. Salvador Perez is a monster they have until 2017. I fully expect Eric Hosmer to turn it around next year and Moustakas is having a nice sophmore campaign. Alcides is having a terrific year at the plate and is known for having a good glove. I see him on the highlight reel (MLB Network's plays of the week) all the time. Lorenzo Cain is supposed to be really good and we all know Butler is a beast. Gordon is one of the better left fielders in baseball. Getz seems to be a decent slappy 2nd basemen. Hell, even Dyson and Pena are decent back-ups. Their offense is gonna be potent in a few years. Already is. As for their pitching....


It's almost GUARANTEED that they will make a big trade for pitching this winter. The question is whom do they want and what are they willing to give up?
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #69 by Matt P » August 13th, 2012, 12:46 pm

ofahn wrote:
It could be us or another team. They would probably want two of these three (Teams will figure out quickly that Bundy is untouchable): Arrieta, Matusz, and Tillman. It will be up to the FO to decide whether they think moving that much pitching is a good idea.

At this point I wouldn't count on any of those three for next year, nor Britton and Hunter either. Tillman might change my mind with consistent pitching down the stretch; and I'm inclined to give Britton a pass for this year because he's coming back from a shoulder problem, but that doesn't mean I'll pencil him into the rotation. IMO trading a couple of those guys to fill a big hole is NOT going to create another one.

I don't know about you but if I'm a Royals fan I would be very upset if they traded one of the better hitters in baseball for guys who have proven nothing in the majors. I'd want a legit top of the rotation type starter.

I'm not saying they won't make a deal for pitching I'm saying the O's aren't a match to get Billy Butler.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #70 by Matt P » August 13th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Also, using your logic for giving Britton a pass shouldn't Arrieta get a pass too?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #71 by osforlife » August 13th, 2012, 12:47 pm

ofahn wrote:
It's almost GUARANTEED that they will make a big trade for pitching this winter. The question is whom do they want and what are they willing to give up?

Well Duffy and Paulino figure to be pretty good. But they have no gaurantedd pitching going into next year so FA market and trade market for pitching seems right for them. I know they have many prospects so they probably wouldn't have to give up somebody like Butler.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1542
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #72 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Matt P wrote:I'm not saying they won't make a deal for pitching I'm saying the O's aren't a match to get Billy Butler.


As a fan I can see why you would say that, but let's wait until January and see what quality of pitching is available before you make a definitive statement that what the Orioles are offering is not good enough.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #73 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 12:54 pm

osforlife wrote:they have no gaurantedd pitching going into next year so FA market and trade market for pitching seems right for them.


When you say free agents are you talking about one year signings, or are you referring to stupid money, long term franchise wreckers? The Royals won't be in the Grienke hunt; nor will they be trading for Cliff Lee, even if he would go there. They just don't have the budget for it.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #74 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Matt P wrote:Also, using your logic for giving Britton a pass shouldn't Arrieta get a pass too?


Are you saying that Arrieta is still recovering from his injury? Neither he nor the team is saying that.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4372
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #75 by Matt P » August 13th, 2012, 12:57 pm

ofahn wrote:
Are you saying that Arrieta is still recovering from his injury? Neither he nor the team is saying that.


No, but Britton isn't recovering anymore either. If he was, he wouldn't be pitching.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37


PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

cron