Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Could Manny Machado be the O's solution at 3b??

Could Manny Machado be the O's solution at 3b??

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » June 30th, 2012, 7:06 pm

This is ALL hypothetical. Headley is really the only 3B on the market that is worth trading for. If they don't want to trade for him could Manny Machado come up from Bowie and play 3B for the O's?! :?:
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Could Manny Machado be the O's solution at 3b??

PostPost #2 by wingman12333 » June 30th, 2012, 7:07 pm

It could be a struggle for him at 3b since I do not believe he has ever played 3b. He is also still learning how to play SS.
wingman12333
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » June 30th, 2012, 7:09 pm

BuckMagic wrote:This is ALL hypothetical. Headley is really the only 3B on the market that is worth trading for. If they don't want to trade for him could Manny Machado come up from Bowie and play 3B for the O's?! :?:

Not worth it. He needs to continue to get reps at SS and they need to see if he is a fit there.

He needs to continue to get at-bats at AA or maybe even AAA if they want to promote him. He is a part of the future and he must continue to develop in the minors.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by dan72 » July 1st, 2012, 6:41 am

He's barely hitting AA pitching what makes you think he could hit at the big league level. The soonest I think we will see Machado would be next year mid May (if he heats up) otherwise it would be September 2013.
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » July 1st, 2012, 7:18 am

Yes I think eventually but a lot depends on the offseason moves. I don't see a lot of third base solutions for us right now or potential prospects we could trade for. Perhaps someone else has a better handle on things??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » August 11th, 2012, 12:14 pm

I just wanted to push this post back to the top and point out and give credit to BuckMagic for obviously putting this idea in DD's head.

Ok maybe not, but he certainly called this one more than 5 weeks ago.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by legmason » August 11th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Good call Shorebirdfan. How much difference a month plus makes huh? Manny caught fire in Bowie and forced the front office to think twice. I wonder if Manny would've gotten called up if we weren't still in the thick of things? My guess is DD and Showalter had this move in mind when examining the risk/reward of acquiring Headley and decided to pass based on how close they thought Machado was to coming up. So far, and yes it's extremely early, they look pretty smart.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » August 11th, 2012, 4:49 pm

I think you let this play out. If he shows a better than average glove at 3rd the rest of the way you would have to think that improves over the winter/spring with work. Conventional wisdom is his value is greater at SS but does that mean he is more value to the O's at SS? There is such a shortage of good 3bs in the Majors that he could be more valuable there.

Hardy is an outstanding SS that hits HRs and truely captains that infield. Decison making at SS is so important. Remember Tejada??? I never thought he made good decisions. If it works that Machado is our 3b it changes our direction and needs over the winter. I really like our team right now ecspecially with the such improved D. It will be a very interesting winter if Machado is our 3b:

1. Can Davis ever be an average 1b on D..it would solve another problem?
2. Do we keep what we have in LF now and use Avery/Hoes/Reimold for spring competition?
3. Look at all the pitching Depth. It will be very interesting who Buck/DD/RP deem as who to keep and who to trade. All this with Bundy looming..I think we have enough depth to pull off a Halladay (not him) type of trade if such an Ace becomes available. How cool would it be to go into next year with a rotation of ACE, Hammel, CHen, and who we keep and with Bundy ready to step in?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » August 11th, 2012, 5:35 pm

I think we have found our third baseman. I don't see Hardy going anywhere 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by Matt P » August 12th, 2012, 1:38 am

Nice one BuckMagic.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by BuckMagic » August 29th, 2012, 11:11 am

Thanks guys!!!!
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:11 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think we have found our third baseman. I don't see Hardy going anywhere 8-)

Ideally I'd like to keep both of them where they are. I'm not sure Machado would even be an upgrade from Hardy, defensively and if they are flipping positions or Hardy goes to 2nd, does it really matter offensively?

That being said, if they do trade Hardy, I'd like Machado to get the chance. If Machado plays this defensively and offense improves, we could do a lot worse than having him at 3B. And on that offensive note, I'm really not too concerned. I knew after his big first weekend, expectations would be even higher. Just watching him at the plate, he passes the eye test and I think he'll only get better.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #13 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:21 pm

legmason wrote:Good call Shorebirdfan. How much difference a month plus makes huh? Manny caught fire in Bowie and forced the front office to think twice. I wonder if Manny would've gotten called up if we weren't still in the thick of things? My guess is DD and Showalter had this move in mind when examining the risk/reward of acquiring Headley and decided to pass based on how close they thought Machado was to coming up. So far, and yes it's extremely early, they look pretty smart.

I don't think he would've been promoted had they been 20 games out of the WC race and the idea of calling up Bundy would even be considered laughable.
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by Oriole85 » August 29th, 2012, 3:29 pm

LA Detective wrote:1. Can Davis ever be an average 1b on D..it would solve another problem?
2. Do we keep what we have in LF now and use Avery/Hoes/Reimold for spring competition?
3. Look at all the pitching Depth. It will be very interesting who Buck/DD/RP deem as who to keep and who to trade. All this with Bundy looming..I think we have enough depth to pull off a Halladay (not him) type of trade if such an Ace becomes available. How cool would it be to go into next year with a rotation of ACE, Hammel, CHen, and who we keep and with Bundy ready to step in?

1)I think his D is passable at first, I actually am more concerned about him hitting enough consistently. I like what I've seen this year. Ideally, I think he's a super-utility player, sort of what Andino was supposed to be.
2)I always like competition and I'd add McLouth to that list. Problem with Reimold is he can't stay heathy. If they can upgrade in LF that would be great.
3)You NEVER have enough starting pitching, so yeah I'd try to add someone. In fact, that's where I'm spending my $.

Also I add keep Markakis leading off.

Priority list: 1) starting pitching 2) First Base 3) Left field
Oriole85
DSL Orioles

PostPost #15 by A_K » August 30th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Oriole85 wrote:Priority list: 1) starting pitching 2) First Base 3) Left field

I'd be fine with them going out and getting a left fielder, but I also think with Reimold, Hoes and Avery we have enough depth and upside at the position to justify leaving it as is.

I'd love to see them sign Swisher or Konerko at first. Shaun Marcum and Edwin Jackson interest me on the hill.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles