Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Here's what Manny Machado allows the Orioles to do

Here's what Manny Machado allows the Orioles to do

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 9th, 2012, 12:06 am

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having Manny Machado play third base every day.

Machado brings much improved defense to third base and will allow Chris Davis to DH. He will allow Mark Reynolds and Wilson Betemit to platoon at 1B.

If Reynolds had played 1B against lefties this year, and Betemit against righties, they would have a .375 wOBA from first base. That is a whole lot better than the .314 wOBA they have gotten from the position this year.

The addition of Machado adds better defense, keeps Betemit from being forced to play third base, and improves the offense coming from first base.

If Machado can hit like a league average player and play the above-average defense he is capable of playing, this move will really benefit the Orioles.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Here's what Manny Machado allows the Orioles to do

PostPost #2 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:28 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:If Machado can hit like a league average player and play the above-average defense he is capable of playing, this move will really benefit the Orioles.

A lot of these 19/20/21 year old super prospects that get called up struggle at first. Look at Trout last year as a recent example. Not only is he 20 years old but he also is going to be playing a position he's only played twice in his career. I'm not saying he won't be great but the odds are much more in the favor of him being less than average than above average or league average.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 9th, 2012, 12:33 am

Matt P wrote:
A lot of these 19/20/21 year old super prospects that get called up struggle at first. Look at Trout last year as a recent example. Not only is he 20 years old but he also is going to be playing a position he's only played twice in his career. I'm not saying he won't be great but the odds are much more in the favor of him being less than average than above average or league average.

Without a doubt all of that is true. Even a 90 WRC+ would be an improvement all around.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » August 9th, 2012, 12:52 am

I thought they mite move Hardy to third, but I guess not. He's been great defensively at short.

Hardy to third is the move of the future though.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:04 pm

mikezpen wrote:I thought they mite move Hardy to third, but I guess not. He's been great defensively at short.

Hardy is one of the best defensive SS in the league. Why would they move him off SS?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:06 pm

mikezpen wrote:I thought they mite move Hardy to third, but I guess not. He's been great defensively at short.

Matt P is right. I could see them TRADING Hardy this winter before changing his position.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » August 11th, 2012, 10:26 am

I have mixed feelings about what is happening with Machado. Success is coming fast and furious for a 20 year old kid. How will he handle it?? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by David » August 11th, 2012, 10:44 am

I think it's a great move, he clearly isn't going to keep this level of hitting up throughout the year but if he can hit like .280+ and play solid defense that would be great.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 11th, 2012, 10:57 am

David wrote:I think it's a great move, he clearly isn't going to keep this level of hitting up throughout the year but if he can hit like .280+ and play solid defense that would be great.

Anything above a .750 OPS and an above league average defense will be like adding three wins to the 85 I already thought we would get.

BTW - has anyone else noticed that Manny hit his homers on a slider and a curve ball? Usually, that's what pitchers go to deal with a hot rookie. He hit his triple on Thursday off a curve ball, too. I suppose they'll start feeding him FBs tonight. Wait until they see his bat speed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #10 by David » August 11th, 2012, 10:59 am

ofahn wrote:
Anything above a .750 OPS and an above league average defense will be like adding three wins to the 85 I already thought we would get.

BTW - has anyone else noticed that Manny hit his homers on a slider and a curve ball? Usually, that's what pitchers go to deal with a hot rookie. He hit his triple on Thursday off a curve ball, too. I suppose they'll start feeding him FBs tonight. Wait until they see his bat speed.

I didn't notice that, good point.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #11 by Shorebirdfan » August 11th, 2012, 12:11 pm

ofahn wrote:BTW - has anyone else noticed that Manny hit his homers on a slider and a curve ball? Usually, that's what pitchers go to deal with a hot rookie. He hit his triple on Thursday off a curve ball, too. I suppose they'll start feeding him FBs tonight. Wait until they see his bat speed.

I noticed this in watching the highlights last night. Will certainly make it interesting to see how they pitch him going forward.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » August 11th, 2012, 5:37 pm

My impression was from reading reports on Machado was that he was a very good fastball hitter. So much so that minor league teams were going to offspeed and breaking balls to get him out 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by legmason » August 11th, 2012, 6:00 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:My impression was from reading reports on Machado was that he was a very good fastball hitter. So much so that minor league teams were going to offspeed and breaking balls to get him out 8-)

Ditto. To come up and show that he can handle the 2 strike breaking pitch and hit it out (granted they were hanging breaking balls) is huge. The most impressive at bat to me was the first hit when we took that curveball and went opposite field for the triple. The showed some great discipline to stay back and go with the pitch and hit it deep. Pretty impressive for a 20 year old. Most hitters his age would've rolled over on that.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Baltimore Orioles