Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

L.J. Hoes- Why not?

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #16 by Baysox347 » August 10th, 2012, 10:12 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd be fine with Hoes being our 2013 Opening Day Left Fielder. I know he doesn't hit for enough power to be a corner outfielder but we have enough power in other places. Jones- 30+ Markakis is 3 homers away from last year's homerun total in 83 games. So maybe we are seeing 20+ Nick again. Betemit- 15 to 20. Davis 25+. Hardy has hit 30 but most likely 20+. Wieters- 20+. So we have power elsewhere in the lineup.

Yeah...if he can give a .370+ OBP I don't mind the minimal power. There would probably be some doubles in there, anyway..
Baysox347
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 23
Joined: August 2012
Reputation Score: 4

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #17 by Matt P » August 11th, 2012, 2:22 am

Is his defense in LF above average?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 11th, 2012, 2:24 am

Matt P wrote:Is his defense in LF above average?

Some info on his defense: http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/26/l- ... ng-report/

I'd say he is average there right now. Tucker has seen him play more than me.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #19 by Matt P » August 11th, 2012, 2:29 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Some info on his defense: http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/26/l- ... ng-report/

I'd say he is average there right now. Tucker has seen him play more than me.

Nice write up.

I'd feel a lot better about him starting Opening Day next season in LF if he was an above average defender. A Brett Gardner type player would be a perfect fit for the O's. I don't want Reimold doing anything other than DH next season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #20 by Rising O's » August 11th, 2012, 9:33 am

Getting players on-base is never a bad thing, especially when you have trouble scoring runs. If the Orioles were going to go for it, then Hoes should have been on their short list and been chosen over Ford and McLouth. Ford has not done much, but the Orioles are 9-3 since his contract was purchased. And McLouth is hitting 294 in his short stint. Big looming problem for the O's, too many DH types, and it gets worse if Thome returns in September.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 984
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #21 by Tucker Blair » August 12th, 2012, 12:01 am

I think Hoes is fine defensively in LF. Like I said in the report, he is maximized there. He's made a few mental errors in LF the past 2 weeks which have not gone unnoticed (at least to me).
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1577
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 44

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #22 by Matt P » August 12th, 2012, 1:42 am

Rising O's wrote:Getting players on-base is never a bad thing, especially when you have trouble scoring runs. If the Orioles were going to go for it, then Hoes should have been on their short list and been chosen over Ford and McLouth. Ford has not done much, but the Orioles are 9-3 since his contract was purchased. And McLouth is hitting 294 in his short stint. Big looming problem for the O's, too many DH types, and it gets worse if Thome returns in September.


I don't know if you were implying McLouth and Ford were DH types but they both certainly are not.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #23 by Rising O's » August 12th, 2012, 2:40 pm

I'm on the Lew Ford experiment is over, bring up LJ bandwagon.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 984
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #24 by osforlife » August 12th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Rising O's wrote:I'm on the Lew Ford experiment is over, bring up LJ bandwagon.

McLouth is playing well. No reason to bring up LJ if he is only gonna play against lefties. Let him play everyday in Norfolk. Let him be the left fielder next year with Avery and Reimold on his behind.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #25 by Rising O's » August 12th, 2012, 8:37 pm

1. I would not sit LJ behind anyone as his numbers say he can hit both. He plays 5-6 days a week
2. I'm also on the lets make the playoffs bandwagon so we need to do what we can to improve this offense, no keeping dead weight around
3. And speaking of playoffs, I would like to see these younger guys get a little bit more of a taste than just September call-ups so that 2013's run will give them a been there feeling
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 984
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #26 by osforlife » August 12th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Rising O's wrote:1. I would not sit LJ behind anyone as his numbers say he can hit both. He plays 5-6 days a week
2. I'm also on the lets make the playoffs bandwagon so we need to do what we can to improve this offense, no keeping dead weight around
3. And speaking of playoffs, I would like to see these younger guys get a little bit more of a taste than just September call-ups so that 2013's run will give them a been there feeling

Yeah but McLouth is playing well.? and if you bring up LJ you know only one of them can play at once.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #27 by Matt P » August 12th, 2012, 10:18 pm

McLouth is a former Gold Glove player and All Star player. I think we all have grown tired of hearing Buck say "track record" but it will apply with him just like it did with Lee, Thome, etc. Plus, his old coach in Pittsburgh was John Russell who has his back. If he struggles I can see them bringing up Hoes but he would have to really struggle.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #28 by Rising O's » August 13th, 2012, 10:22 am

McClouth hasn't had a good track record for several years. Its nice to see him contribute. However its Ford who is struggling and quick hooks are necessary when every game counts. If after the Red Sox series, Ford is still struggling, I would make the switch.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 984
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 10

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #29 by osforlife » August 13th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Rising O's wrote:McClouth hasn't had a good track record for several years. Its nice to see him contribute. However its Ford who is struggling and quick hooks are necessary when every game counts. If after the Red Sox series, Ford is still struggling, I would make the switch.

Opinions vary but I'd just rather see him playing everyday in Norfolk as better for him. Remember, as of right now, McLouth is our #3 hitter. Even when Ford was playing they wanted to keep Nate in the game so they put him in center. As long as McClouth is playing well, Hoes can't play everyday at the major league level.
User avatar
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1544
Joined: October 2011
Location: Southern Maryland
Reputation Score: 58

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #30 by ofahn » August 13th, 2012, 12:21 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd just rather see him playing everyday in Norfolk


I agree. If he's not going to play everyday then he should stay at AAA. Once their games are over THEN he can come up and platoon, if necessary.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4376
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85


Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron