Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

L.J. Hoes- Why not?

L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #1 by rauserka » August 10th, 2012, 7:07 am

When do you think LJ Hoes gets the callup? With Machado making his debut last night, it really gets me excited to see what Hoes can do. I know he has only appeared in a 61 games at AAA and he is only 22, but I would rather see our homegrown talent (+ he's local) in LF gain experience. I'm really impressed with his plate disapline and his ability to get on base- see his .395 OBP! I honestly don't think he would put the Orioles at more of a disadvantage than the two 30+ year old guys we have out there now.

LJ Hoes- .319 AVG, 235 ABs, 2 HR 25RBI .395OBP .812OPS

So, do you think he will be a September call-up?

OR

Do you think we may see him sooner?- I guess an injury would have to happen for him to get called up sooner, unless we cut ties with Ford or Mclouth

I say we bring up the Youth! It certainly brings a lot of excitement to this team. Why not?
rauserka
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: L.J. Hoes- Why not?

PostPost #2 by Baltimore2110 » August 10th, 2012, 9:10 am

As much as I want to see Lew Ford succeed, I think L.J. Deserves his chance
Baltimore2110
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by David » August 10th, 2012, 10:03 am

I'd love to see L.J get a chance, Ford is a great story but let's face it, he won't be of much help to this team in my opinion.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » August 10th, 2012, 11:22 am

His .319 w/b second in the International League if he had the at-bats.I think they'll call him before the end of the month.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 11:57 am

rauserka wrote:When do you think LJ Hoes gets the callup? With Machado making his debut last night, it really gets me excited to see what Hoes can do. I know he has only appeared in a 61 games at AAA and he is only 22, but I would rather see our homegrown talent (+ he's local) in LF gain experience. I'm really impressed with his plate disapline and his ability to get on base- see his .395 OBP! I honestly don't think he would put the Orioles at more of a disadvantage than the two 30+ year old guys we have out there now.

LJ Hoes- .319 AVG, 235 ABs, 2 HR 25RBI .395OBP .812OPS

So, do you think he will be a September call-up?

OR

Do you think we may see him sooner?- I guess an injury would have to happen for him to get called up sooner, unless we cut ties with Ford or Mclouth

I say we bring up the Youth! It certainly brings a lot of excitement to this team. Why not?

I think we'll see Bundy first as long as he is dominant at AA. I could only see Hoes Before September 1st as replacement for an injured player. After September 1st he has a good chance of being called up on his own merit.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » August 10th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Sure I would like to. It's a numbers game though and thinking from the Orioles perspective, it's either DFA Lew Ford or Nate McLouth and potentially lose them... Or put Hoes on the 40-man roster, have to DFA someone (likely Ford or McLouth).

It's sounds like a simple choice, DFA one of the vets for the guy playing well, but remember that Hoes could initially struggle too and at least the vets have experience (this is from the Orioles perspective).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 12:47 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Sure I would like to. It's a numbers game though and thinking from the Orioles perspective, it's either DFA Lew Ford or Nate McLouth and potentially lose them... Or put Hoes on the 40-man roster, have to DFA someone (likely Ford or McLouth).

It's sounds like a simple choice, DFA one of the vets for the guy playing well, but remember that Hoes could initially struggle too and at least the vets have experience (this is from the Orioles perspective).

We only have three weeks before the rosters expand so the issue will resolve itself quickly.

If Ford or McLouth are injured or play themselves off of the team then the decision is easy. Otherwise, Hoes (and Avery) will be waiting like a September 1st trade.

Just a reminder; If Dylan Bundy proves he's ready by being dominant over his first two or three starts in AA he could EASILY take Gregg's roster spot and pitch the same number of innings that Gregg has over the last few months without exceeding the limit the club has placed on him for the year. Personally, I'd like to see them extend his leash to about 135 innings this year. He's had very little stress on him so far and he's probably better prepared for the extra work than any other pitching prospect we have. We wouldn't even have to clear a spot for him on the 40 Man Roster although we would for Hoes.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 12:48 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Sure I would like to. It's a numbers game though and thinking from the Orioles perspective, it's either DFA Lew Ford or Nate McLouth and potentially lose them... Or put Hoes on the 40-man roster, have to DFA someone (likely Ford or McLouth).

ONE more post and you graduate from Rookie Ball. YEAH!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » August 10th, 2012, 12:51 pm

ofahn wrote:
ONE more post and you graduate from Rookie Ball. YEAH!

Phew, thought I would never make it!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 12:54 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Phew, thought I would never make it!

Welcome to the club. Get with me later and I'll teach you the SECRET handshake.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 10th, 2012, 1:24 pm

I definitely think LJ Hoes and his solid approach at the plate would bring more to the table than Ford and McLouth (and I actually like McLouth).
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » August 10th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch
#orioles have discussed promoting AAA. OF LJ Hoes but they also like him getting regular at-bats in Norfolk

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/234024709925244928
BOOM
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #13 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Of course, if they promoted him and just let him play until they got a read on whether he showed if he deserved to be here............
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 10th, 2012, 3:47 pm

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/statuses/2 ... 2005073920

Buck said Hoes hasn't put himself on the map. "He's continued to be on the map." #orioles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #15 by osforlife » August 10th, 2012, 4:57 pm

I'd be fine with Hoes being our 2013 Opening Day Left Fielder. I know he doesn't hit for enough power to be a corner outfielder but we have enough power in other places. Jones- 30+ Markakis is 3 homers away from last year's homerun total in 83 games. So maybe we are seeing 20+ Nick again. Betemit- 15 to 20. Davis 25+. Hardy has hit 30 but most likely 20+. Wieters- 20+. So we have power elsewhere in the lineup.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles