Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

8/9/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

Re: 8/9/12 Minor League Gameday Thread

PostPost #31 by Tucker Blair » August 10th, 2012, 12:49 pm

ofahn wrote:
He'll need to come on quickly if he's to be considered a legit prospect. He's 22 and still playing at low A.

As Ofahn said, remember his age. While he has shown a little improvement, he still is 22 and JUST improving. It's not like Brenden Webb whom has shown consistent improvement all year and really taken his game to the next level. I think they will probably wait until the end of the year on a decision (whether you agree with it or not). I haven't seen him play in a while but from what I hear, it's more or less been the same.

I never write anyone off though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 44

PostPost #32 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 12:56 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I think they will probably wait until the end of the year on a decision

I wonder if they didn't put the decision on what to do about this guy off until next year because Rick Peterson can only work with so many players at one time?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #33 by Baysox347 » August 10th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Aaron wrote:Mychal Givens with another 2 hits tonight and batting .288 with a .351 OBP since the All-Star break. I was kind of hoping he would be converted to a pitcher in the off season, but if he keeps this up I doubt that will be the case. Has he improved enough this year to continue the middle infield experiment and will he ever hit for power?

I really think having him pitch in relief is the best move.
Baysox347
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #34 by Matt P » August 11th, 2012, 2:31 am

Aaron wrote:Mychal Givens with another 2 hits tonight and batting .288 with a .351 OBP since the All-Star break. I was kind of hoping he would be converted to a pitcher in the off season, but if he keeps this up I doubt that will be the case. Has he improved enough this year to continue the middle infield experiment and will he ever hit for power?

He should be hitting .351 at this point. It's well past time for him to become a pitcher.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #35 by Shorebirdfan » August 11th, 2012, 6:48 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Huge game from Devin Jones tonight. 8 innings with 5 H, 1 R , 0 BB, 7 K.

I think he might be one of my biggest surprises this season. I'll be honest, I thought he was a pure bullpen guy. I still could be right, but holy heck I love being wrong with stuff like this

I"m with you here. I wanted to see him in the closer role while he was here on the Shore. I was against the move to the rotation, as I didn't think he had the make up for a starter. As my daughter says, "Don't quit your day job." That's why others get paid to make these decisions, while I (we) can just sit back, criticize and give opinions.

Glad Devin and the org are proving me wrong.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #36 by Shorebirdfan » August 11th, 2012, 6:53 am

Even with the recent improvement in his hitting results, Givens remains a liability in the field.

He has made several improvements in his swing over a season ago (he used to touch his bat to his shoulder in his motion which lengthened his swing making him late on almost everything). He has shortened it up this season, which is good and he is now driving a lot of balls up the middle.

Still agree that a move to the mound is in his best interests.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues