Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #46 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:09 pm

ofahn wrote:
I could see that happening, but I could also see Machado playing well here and in Arizona this fall and the Orioles deciding to trade for Headley and using Hardy in a different trade to recover what it cost get Headley. In the long run IMO that would be in the best interests of the team.

No doubt about it. They love Hardy though so I wouldn't expect it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #47 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:24 pm

Matt P wrote:They love Hardy though so I wouldn't expect it.

Yeah, for GOOD reason. I do too, but I could see that series of trades as the best thing for the long term future of team.

DD has to be a GM first and a fan second.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #48 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Matt P wrote:Hoes and Avery don't have near the talent that Machado has.

Hoes has been dominant at AAA the last six weeks. Young players coming into a pennant race can give a team a lot of energy. Does anyone else remember Billy Ripken in the 1986 season?

It wouldn't surprise me to see him make a significant contribution in September if he's not called up before then.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #49 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
Hoes has been dominant at AAA the last six weeks. Young players coming into a pennant race can give a team a lot of energy. Does anyone else remember Billy Ripken in the 1986 season?

It wouldn't surprise me to see him make a significant contribution in September if he's not called up before then.

I just think Buck likes his veterans and it would take an out of this world talent like Machado or Bundy for him to trust a very young player in a pennant race. McLouth and Ford have done fine. I don't know that Hoes couldn't do what they are doing but they must feel he's not ready because calling up Machado proves that if they think one is ready they are calling him up.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #50 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
Yeah, for GOOD reason. I do too, but I could see that series of trades as the best thing for the long term future of team.

DD has to be a GM first and a fan second.

I'm as big a fan as any and have been calling for Headley since the off season. I would rather Machado + Headley than Hardy + Machado as well I just don't expect it to happen.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #51 by Rising O's » August 9th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Nice first game for Manny, too bad it came in a loss.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #52 by Matt P » August 10th, 2012, 2:06 am

So, I listened to the Baseball Today podcasts Monday-Thurs. There moods have definitely changed about the Orioles. They are rooting for them but they still don't believe they can keep it up. On Thursday's podcast Karabell said he thinks they will be in the race until at least mid September but doesn't think they will get a playoff spot. They actually talked about the O's a lot and Schoenfield joked to rename the podcast "Orioles Today" due to them talking about them so much. Monday they didn't really talk much about them but Tuesdsay, Wednesday, and Thursday they talked about them a lot. If you are bored and looking for something to listen to on a car ride or something it could be worth the listen for fun.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #53 by SavageMillicent » August 10th, 2012, 7:30 am

I can't wait to see him on the field tomorrow. See you there!
SavageMillicent
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #54 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 8:19 am

I read in several places yesterday that the feeling was Machado was more advanced with the glove than the bat. Of course, one game is a VERY small sample but he sure doesn't look intimidated at the plate; does he?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #55 by DougDE » August 10th, 2012, 6:42 pm

ofahn wrote:If DD wants to DFA Gregg or another under performing contract but is constrained by an Angelos policy to not eat a contract

Didnt both Gibbons and Ponson get cut loose with decent money left on their contracts?
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #56 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 7:45 pm

DougDE wrote:Didnt both Gibbons and Ponson get cut loose with decent money left on their contracts?

They cut Gibbons because he couldn't recover from an injury, and they VOIDED Ponson's contract for acting like Sydney Ponson (NOT a compliment). They eventually settled with him and he received about 75% of the remainder of his salary.

Gregg would be the first significant contract they will have eaten for performance reasons alone since Garrett Atkins.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #57 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 7:54 pm

ofahn wrote:I read in several places yesterday that the feeling was Machado was more advanced with the glove than the bat. Of course, one game is a VERY small sample but he sure doesn't look intimidated at the plate; does he?

Of course, now we have a TWO game sample.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #58 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Matt P wrote:I'm as big a fan as any and have been calling for Headley since the off season. I would rather Machado + Headley than Hardy + Machado as well I just don't expect it to happen.

If Machado shows he can be a ML 3B in every respect then this winter takes on a whole new dynamic. We could use the assets we might have traded for Headley for something else. I wonder how much pitching it would take to pry Billy Butler from KC?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #59 by Rising O's » August 10th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Manny! Manny! Manny! Wow, just wow.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #60 by ofahn » August 11th, 2012, 7:48 am

Rising O's wrote:Manny! Manny! Manny! Wow, just wow.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles