Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Steve Johnson optioned to Norfolk

Steve Johnson optioned to Norfolk

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/statuses/2 ... 4914236417

Steve Johnson optioned to AAA Norfolk to make room for Manny Machado #orioles

Probably just temporary, and I'd guess Johnson will make his next start in Baltimore.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Steve Johnson optioned to Norfolk

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 9th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Not a big deal.

People will overreact but his turn in rotation comes on an off day and Ghiroli said they won't need a starter until next Saturday. It will most likely be Johnson.

It makes sense more doing this and keeping Soco in the pen while steve keeps fresh making a start in between.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 4:56 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Not a big deal.

People will overreact but his turn in rotation comes on an off day and Ghiroli said they won't need a starter until next Saturday. It will most likely be Johnson.

It makes sense more doing this and keeping Soco in the pen while steve keeps fresh making a start in between.

I completely understand the logic but it does seem like a slap in the face to a guy who did everything the team could have asked for.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » August 9th, 2012, 5:29 pm

ofahn wrote:
I completely understand the logic but it does seem like a slap in the face to a guy who did everything the team could have asked for.

Maybe so, but it's a business. It's only a paper move
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by legmason » August 9th, 2012, 9:55 pm

What's the consensus on where Johnson's future lies? I didn't see last night's game and haven't read a ton on him scouting report wise. Is he a candidate for the back end of our rotation next year? I don't think he has the potential that Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman or Britton do but he might have his head in a better space a couple of them currently.

I guess the big question here is, is his stuff good enough to get through a lineup multiple times throughout the year in the AL East?
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 9th, 2012, 9:58 pm

legmason wrote:What's the consensus on where Johnson's future lies? I didn't see last night's game and haven't read a ton on him scouting report wise. Is he a candidate for the back end of our rotation next year? I don't think he has the potential that Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman or Britton do but he might have his head in a better space a couple of them currently.

I guess the big question here is, is his stuff good enough to get through a lineup multiple times throughout the year in the AL East?

The key to that question is in your last sentence. He gives up a lot of HRs and I think he would be much better suited to pitch for a team like the Padres or Dodgers. I could see him pitching extremely well as a starter there.

Otherwise, I like him as a reliever if he stick with the Orioles.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » August 9th, 2012, 10:03 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:The key to that question is in your last sentence. He gives up a lot of HRs and I think he would be much better suited to pitch for a team like the Padres or Dodgers. I could see him pitching extremely well as a starter there.

Otherwise, I like him as a reliever if he stick with the Orioles.

I agree pretty much with this.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by legmason » August 9th, 2012, 10:10 pm

gotcha. that's kind of what my feeling was initially but again I haven't seen him pitch and don't know a ton of about him other than that he's a fly ball pitcher which makes me nervous unless he strikes out 8 batters a game like he did last night. I don't see that happening consistently though.

thanks for the thoughts guys!
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 10th, 2012, 1:59 am

I don't think it's a slap in the face at all. They want him to pitch on regular rest and they don't need a 5th starter. It's a no brainer as it allows them to keep Socolovich in the bullpen until they need a 5th starter. I really don't think that a flyball pitcher who is HR prone can make it in Camden Yards but I hope he does well. I wasn't really impressed with his start even though the stats were great.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 10th, 2012, 2:17 am

Matt P wrote:I don't think it's a slap in the face at all. They want him to pitch on regular rest and they don't need a 5th starter. It's a no brainer as it allows them to keep Socolovich in the bullpen until they need a 5th starter. I really don't think that a flyball pitcher who is HR prone can make it in Camden Yards but I hope he does well.

I agree with all of this. I'm sure he knows it, too.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 6:07 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm sure he knows it, too.

You had mentioned that it was a business decision. I don't think that will be lost on Steve since the move will cost him about 20K in salary and benefits.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » August 10th, 2012, 11:41 am

Shabby move by Orioles 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » August 10th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Every single MLB team does this. Seriously. Not a big deal

I think it is more of a deal with all the shifting they do in the minors.
The bigs are the bigs, it's about winning.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by ofahn » August 10th, 2012, 12:53 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Every single MLB team does this. Seriously. Not a big deal

I think it is more of a deal with all the shifting they do in the minors.
The bigs are the bigs, it's about winning.

No, I get that. It just bothers me to see a guy like Johnson work SO hard over EIGHT minor league seasons and give the team EXACTLY what it needs, when it really needed it, and then have to go back down. He didn't get a big signing bonus and has spent eight years living on McDonalds money. The 25K he'll miss out on with this move is probably about half of what he'll earn at AAA this year (although there may be a minimum salary for players on the 40 Man Roster. If anyone knows, would they please post it).

I'm just thinking with my heart instead of my head on this one.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 10th, 2012, 12:58 pm

ofahn wrote:
No, I get that. It just bothers me to see a guy like Johnson work SO hard over EIGHT minor league seasons and give the team EXACTLY what it needs, when it really needed it, and then have to go back down. He didn't get a big signing bonus and has spent eight years living on McDonalds money. The 25K he'll miss out on with this move is probably about half of what he'll earn at AAA this year (although there may be a minimum salary for players on the 40 Man Roster. If anyone knows, would they please post it).

I'm just thinking with my heart instead of my head on this one.

I do not have a link but I know that players on a 40-man roster who have ever touched the major leagues make about $70,000 per year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles