Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Peterson replacing Adair next year?

Peterson replacing Adair next year?

PostPost #1 by bushwick » August 9th, 2012, 10:05 am

What's the chance the O's give Peterson the pitching coach job next year over Rick Adair? Does this make sense to do?
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Peterson replacing Adair next year?

PostPost #2 by Aaron » August 9th, 2012, 10:56 am

Zero Chance. We're better off having Peterson working with the young pitchers in the minors.
Aaron
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #3 by legmason » August 9th, 2012, 11:05 am

No way. This organization needs him where he is to get to the bottom of these developmental an mechanical issues that have plagued our young pitchers.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » August 9th, 2012, 11:22 am

Peterson is on a 1 year contract also.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 11:26 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Peterson is on a 1 year contract also.

Peterson's name has already been mentioned as a candidate for several ML pitching coach positions, with good reason. I would like to see the team offer him a four or five year deal at a ML salary to stay in the position he's in now. Just the work he's done with Tillman is worth every penny we've paid him this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 9th, 2012, 11:43 am

ofahn wrote:
Peterson's name has already been mentioned as a candidate for several ML pitching coach positions, with good reason. I would like to see the team offer him a four or five year deal at a ML salary to stay in the position he's in now. Just the work he's done with Tillman is worth every penny we've paid him this year.

Agreed! Our only hope is that Peterson enjoys working in this capacity with young pitchers throughout the system more than he wants to be a ML pitching coach again. I would pay whatever it takes to keep him.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 11:50 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Our only hope is that Peterson enjoys working in this capacity with young pitchers throughout the system more than he wants to be a ML pitching coach again.

Peterson has (I believe) been through the ML pitching coach merry go round twice already. He's probably looking at a two year contract at most in that position. Quite often, good instructors take a ML position PRIMARILY for the money and benefits, with job satisfaction and location being a secondary consideration. If we were to offer him ML money and benefits to stay in his current position he could make his decision based on job satisfaction, with the added perk of job security.

This should be a NO - Brainer for the FO. Let's see how much they care about building a successful farm system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 11:58 am

I read an article saying that he is a huge control freak which led to his firing from a couple of places. Johan Santana blames him for his injury problems. Adair has done fine with Chen, Hammel, and Hunter while Peterson has done incredible work with Tillman and Gonzalez. Time will tell how he works with Arrieta.

I agree with ofahn that they should offer him ML money to stay in his current position.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Matt P wrote:Peterson has done incredible work with Tillman and Gonzalez.

I believe he also had a good influence on Pomerantz until he was injured.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:31 pm

Matt P wrote:I read an article saying that he is a huge control freak

One man's "control freak" is another man's "dedicated mentor". A lot of someone's opinion is based on their ego.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Matt P wrote:I read an article saying that he is a huge control freak which led to his firing from a couple of places. Johan Santana blames him for his injury problems.

I believe I read the same (or similar) article. I also remember reading (somewhere) that Santana was a five year veteran when he was traded to the Mets and was very reluctant to make any changes. He can blame Peterson if it makes him feel better, but Santana had some issues with his mechanics. What I really found ironic is that Santana quietly made SOME of the changes during his rehab that Peterson had suggested.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » August 9th, 2012, 1:00 pm

I don't expect Peterson to be back next year. There are simply too many teams who want him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles