Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

Re: Manny Machado to debut tomorrow!

PostPost #31 by Old Sneakers » August 9th, 2012, 12:12 am

I dunno, Machado was supposed to be a guy that hits for average and power. He's already displayed some power sure. This just seems way premature to me.

I'm hoping for a guy that could be a #3 batter and hit .290 Additionally the team is in a three way tie for a wildcard. Isn't this just too much of a reach?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #32 by mikezpen » August 9th, 2012, 12:43 am

Would they move Hardy to third?
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #33 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 9th, 2012, 12:47 am

mikezpen wrote:Would they move Hardy to third?

No chance.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #34 by legmason » August 9th, 2012, 8:50 am

Wow I certainly didn't see that coming but I'm excited!
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #35 by bushwick » August 9th, 2012, 9:52 am

Who are they sending down in his place? I hope they keep Steve Johnson up after that great performance last night.
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #36 by osforlife » August 9th, 2012, 10:00 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:
I was there for Chris Tillman's debut.

I was there too, against Zach Greinke. I'll be there tonight too. I'am going to try to get him to sign the baysox ticket where he hit for the cycle and today's ticket
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #37 by David » August 9th, 2012, 10:05 am

bushwick wrote:Who are they sending down in his place? I hope they keep Steve Johnson up after that great performance last night.

They probably will, I'd say it's probably Socolovich.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #38 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 10:07 am

bushwick wrote:Who are they sending down in his place? I hope they keep Steve Johnson up after that great performance last night.

I think they had an open space with Flaherty on the DL.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #39 by osforlife » August 9th, 2012, 10:11 am

ofahn wrote:
I think they had an open space with Flaherty on the DL.

Steve Johnson for Briton. Socolovich for Flaherty. I think. They'd have to send somebody down in order for Machado to come up. I think he'll struggle this year but we'll see glimpes. Then, at the start of next year he goes back to AAA just like Trout did and catches fire and forces his way up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #40 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 10:42 am

osforlife wrote:Socolovich for Flaherty

I believe you're right. I missed that transaction.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 9th, 2012, 11:50 am

My question is then: Why in the world is Avery or Hoes not playing LF????? Are you seriously telling me Ford/Mclouth are better options there than Avery (he has been slumping since his most recent demotion) or Hoes??? Ridiculous...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #42 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:00 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:My question is then: Why in the world is Avery or Hoes not playing LF????? Are you seriously telling me Ford/Mclouth are better options there than Avery (he has been slumping since his most recent demotion) or Hoes??? Ridiculous...

Agreed.

I wonder if some of these personnel decisions are being made WITH Buck's input, and some WITHOUT.

Buck seems to be loyal to his veterans which is why I was so shocked that they brought up Machado. Was that DD's decision and Buck was the loyal trooper by saying all the right things?

If DD wants to DFA Gregg or another under performing contract but is constrained by an Angelos policy to not eat a contract; then if Machado is successful at the ML level DD would have an example to give Angelos that the team is better with some of the younger players instead of the vets. Once DD feels that he can shape the roster the way he feels is best Buck would have no choice but to use the players in his dugout. Think Billy Beane and Art Howe in Money Ball but with less tension.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #43 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:01 pm

osforlife wrote:Steve Johnson for Briton. Socolovich for Flaherty. I think. They'd have to send somebody down in order for Machado to come up. I think he'll struggle this year but we'll see glimpes. Then, at the start of next year he goes back to AAA just like Trout did and catches fire and forces his way up.

Trout had Bourjos coming off a better year than him and Vernon Wells' massive contract in LF. Machado won't have anything blocking him from being Baltimore's 3B next year. Heyman said in his article about Machado being promoted that Buck planned on him being the 3B next season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #44 by Matt P » August 9th, 2012, 12:02 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:My question is then: Why in the world is Avery or Hoes not playing LF????? Are you seriously telling me Ford/Mclouth are better options there than Avery (he has been slumping since his most recent demotion) or Hoes??? Ridiculous...

Hoes and Avery don't have near the talent that Machado has. Avery didn't really do all that great in Baltimore in his 2 stints either.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #45 by ofahn » August 9th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Matt P wrote:Buck planned on him being the 3B next season.

I could see that happening, but I could also see Machado playing well here and in Arizona this fall and the Orioles deciding to trade for Headley and using Hardy in a different trade to recover what it cost get Headley. In the long run IMO that would be in the best interests of the team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles