Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Roberts on the block?

Roberts on the block?

PostPost #1 by Don » February 7th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Could this be the last season with Brian Roberts in an Orioles uniform?

I pose this because could the return to form in 2011 and potential need for his bat at the top of the order make teams such as Giants, Cubs, Dodgers, Padres could want someone of his talents. Do the orioles eat a bit of the 3 years and 30 million left on his contract if say two top tier prospects were in the package.

Lets say it is the Giants and they turn a package of Brandon Belt and Zach Wheeler, would the Orioles pull the trigger? What happens if the Dodgers are gunning for a spot and offer Jerry Sands and Rubby De La Rosa, would you pull the trigger? What if the Cubs offered Trey McNutt and two other top prospects?

Outside the box, this is the Orioles fan favorite, but he is also a 33 year with injury history and alot of money left on the table. It is not outside the rhelm of possibilty that it could be his last season in Baltimore. Ryan Adams may have the chance to be a stop gap for L.J Hoes or a host of other prospects on the verge.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Roberts on the block?

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » February 7th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Don wrote:Could this be the last season with Brian Roberts in an Orioles uniform?

I pose this because could the return to form in 2011 and potential need for his bat at the top of the order make teams such as Giants, Cubs, Dodgers, Padres could want someone of his talents. Do the orioles eat a bit of the 3 years and 30 million left on his contract if say two top tier prospects were in the package.

Lets say it is the Giants and they turn a package of Brandon Belt and Zach Wheeler, would the Orioles pull the trigger? What happens if the Dodgers are gunning for a spot and offer Jerry Sands and Rubby De La Rosa, would you pull the trigger? What if the Cubs offered Trey McNutt and two other top prospects?

Outside the box, this is the Orioles fan favorite, but he is also a 33 year with injury history and alot of money left on the table. It is not outside the rhelm of possibilty that it could be his last season in Baltimore. Ryan Adams may have the chance to be a stop gap for L.J Hoes or a host of other prospects on the verge.

I would jump on the Giants offer you laid out so quickly heads would spin. Wheeler is a guy I'd have loved to add in 2009. I think Roberts has already been held onto for too long and should have been moved last off season. I thnk the keys you have to ask for any deal are !. What are you giving up 2. What are you getting back and 3. What is the drop off in your backfill plan. The last one presents my concern with any Roberts deal. I don't see Adams as the answer (defense issues) and would prefer they move when they could look at fitting someone like Harris into that role.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by hsbaseballcoach » February 8th, 2011, 9:40 am

I would LOVE that deal for the Os, but I cannot imagine any scenario where the Giants offer Wheeler alone much less Belt and Wheeler. Roberts has been a significant part of Os history all the way back to the days when he beat out Hairston for the job. He can still play, but is certainly on the downside of his career. If the Os trade him, they would most likely get a veteran journeyman or mid level prospect at best.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Don » February 8th, 2011, 11:29 am

My assumption is a return to form. A return to form means that he is again one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball and game changer for a team to take them to the next level. A hurt Brian Roberts gives you little in return, but if the team were to eat say 25% of his salary and he produces a line of .290 .375 and .800 while showing speed and gap power at the top of the order he would command quite a bit in return where teams would be willing to part with two top prospects for sure.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 12th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Don wrote:Lets say it is the Giants and they turn a package of Brandon Belt and Zach Wheeler, would the Orioles pull the trigger? What happens if the Dodgers are gunning for a spot and offer Jerry Sands and Rubby De La Rosa, would you pull the trigger? What if the Cubs offered Trey McNutt and two other top prospects?

I don't think there is any chance the Giants give up Belt for Roberts let alone Belt and Wheeler for Roberts. They may be interested, but I don't think the O's would get a package quite like that.

With all the off-season moves it is clear the Orioles are trying to compete this season so why would they deal Roberts?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » February 19th, 2011, 8:34 pm

As good as any of those types of deals may sound, and as much as it depends on his performance (especially games played) this year, I think it comes down to one thing. That is: how the Orioles do this year? And if they find any bit of success, looking at if Roberts was really a focus of any bits of success, if he generally helped it, or if the success points were other aspects.

Nobody expects us to contend. Even if we pulled off 90 wins, it'd rely on a lot of guys on 1/2 year deals, so it will have to do with how we think the success could continue. Another total failure season, and of course he should be on the block. At that point, he obviously is not a nugget for us at this time.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » February 20th, 2011, 1:41 pm

This guy is standing on his last legs. Unless this team pulls the shock of shocks and is playoff contention as the deadline nears, it is time to pull the trigger. Somewhere out there, a contendor will be looking for a player just like him. The youth movement cannot be completed until he is replaced.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by 2131andBeyond » February 21st, 2011, 2:52 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:The youth movement cannot be completed until he is replaced.

As of now, with the likes of Tyler Henson being the best we have basically at 2B in terms of readiness to play in the pros, are you really ready to say that? Every team needs their fair share of veterans, and he is one of ours. Not sure I agree with you saying that the youth movement cannot be completed until he is replaced then. Notice the Rays bringing in Manny and Damon. They know that a few vets need to be around in a year where they will obviously be bringing up even more of a youth movement than the O's this season.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Don » February 21st, 2011, 4:05 pm

You are completely over looking the current roster and Ryan Adams. No one said it had to be another long term solution in the mix, but there are plenty of options on the table.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by allstar1579 » February 21st, 2011, 7:17 pm

Don wrote:Could this be the last season with Brian Roberts in an Orioles uniform?

The only way a package like that gets offered from SFN is for Pujols or Fielder WITH an extension in place. Wheeler and Belt is a CRAZY haul and worth at least twice what Roberts will be worth. One or the other and 2 lesser prospects is possible though.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Shorebirdfan » February 21st, 2011, 8:27 pm

Don wrote:You are completely over looking the current roster and Ryan Adams. No one said it had to be another long term solution in the mix, but there are plenty of options on the table.

Don,

I agree with you completely. I was not trying to say that Roberts replacement is ready. But certainly a half season stop gap like Adams or Miclat would do just fine if the postseason is out of the picture. Not to mention with Hardy at short, Andino and/or Izturis could fill the spot if you prefer someone with big league experience.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Don » February 22nd, 2011, 11:51 am

This has always been my view on sports. It is never about the back of the Jersey and always about the front of it for me.

I would want to keep him and you never know what package comes in return for him. I just know if the offer is too sweet, you have to make the deal.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Re: Roberts on the Shelf?

PostPost #13 by Don » February 23rd, 2011, 12:24 pm

Well scratch all thought of trading him. It seems Brian Roberts in on the shelf with neck stiffness. I would not think anything for it, but sometimes this is linked to lower back issues.

I would hold off doing any speculation at all, but he falls under the age and injury clauses that make anyone go "oh not again..."
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Re: Roberts on the errr Shelf - X -RAY NOW

PostPost #14 by Don » February 23rd, 2011, 12:38 pm

I just happen to see that he will require an X-Ray. This does not sound good at all.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Shorebirdfan » February 23rd, 2011, 7:41 pm

Oh no not again. Paging Ryan Adams, Mr Adams, please report to 2nd base.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles