Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Baseball America's Best Tools Survey

Baseball America's Best Tools Survey

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 8th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Every year, Baseball America surveys players, coaches, etc. from each league to create lists of the best tools in each league.

I don't have a BA account but I'll post what I can find about which Orioles are on the lists.

Manny Machado made the EL list for best defensive SS, best infield arm, and most exciting player.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Baseball America's Best Tools Survey

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 1:10 pm

Glad to hear Machado is getting the defensive recognition he deserves. He has come so far defensively and I am very impressed. Glad to see others are noticing too.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by mthompson » August 8th, 2012, 9:26 pm

He makes alot of tough plays, but really needs to become more consistant. 23 errors at this point in the season is not that exciting.
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 9:28 pm

mthompson wrote:He makes alot of tough plays, but really needs to become more consistant. 23 errors at this point in the season is not that exciting.

Have you taken into consideration the often horrible condition of the infields he plays on?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by osforlife » August 8th, 2012, 9:48 pm

ofahn wrote:
Have you taken into consideration the often horrible condition of the infields he plays on?

I thought Bowie's field is pretty nice. Maybe I'am just used to playing on little league fields.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 9:53 pm

23 errors by a minor leaguer at the age of 20 at AA Bowie is not a big deal at all. (which this is easily the hardest jump outside of to the MLB)

Machado is absolutely fine, not to mention a lot of these errors are from earlier in the season. Why has no one mentioned this? (not you guys, but media guys referencing it).I've seen Machado play at least 10 times this season and it's a broken record but he is impressive. Errors in the minors tell you nothing. Nothing at all.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 9:57 pm

osforlife wrote:I thought Bowie's field is pretty nice. Maybe I'am just used to playing on little league fields.

I was referring to the away fields.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » August 8th, 2012, 10:04 pm

ofahn wrote:
I was referring to the away fields.

Ahh yeah probably. I saw Machado make 4 errors on Friday and Saturday. But I believe he will be and is a good defensive shortstop.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Machado is going to make errors, and he is still so young, but the true evaluation is how he progresses. He has absolutely shown advancement in the field, and that is all you can really ask for.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by mthompson » August 8th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Im not saying he wont be a solid defensive ss but he has a very wild throwing arm, but that could be fixed if he can find a consistent release point. Also, he is a bit of a hot dog leading to a bunch of stupid errors. Again, that can be fixed if someone gave him the clockwork orange treatment on him with nothing jeter plays
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 10:16 pm

mthompson wrote:he is a bit of a hot dog leading to a bunch of stupid errors

Please remember that he's 20 years old. The first time he "hot dogs" it in the ML and it leads to an error it will be a race to see who talks to him first. Wieters or Jones.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues