Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What to do with Arrieta, Britton, Matusz? (and Tillman?)

What to do with Arrieta, Britton, Matusz? (and Tillman?)

PostPost #1 by docjj » August 8th, 2012, 7:49 am

Wow. How many chances have these guys been given?

I know they're still young, and talented. But is anyone else growing tired for seeing them stink? I still think the jury is out on Tillman. He might have finally turned the corner (let's all cross our collective fingers), but I think we need to give it some more time.

Here's hoping Johnson can buck the trend of our young prospects stinking it up in the Majors.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: What to do with Arrieta, Britton, Matusz? (and Tillman?)

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 7:54 am

docjj wrote:I still think the jury is out on Tillman. He might have finally turned the corner

Tillman is the only one of the four that was able to work with Peterson from the beginning of the season. There's no guarantee that things would have worked out differently but it would have been nice if we would have brought in more veteran SPs this past Winter so that NONE of the four would have needed to start the season in Baltimore.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by legmason » August 8th, 2012, 9:19 am

Matusz and Arrieta still have great potential but they have a long humbling road ahead if they want to achieve it. I'm hoping Tillman has figured it out but it's still a small sample size and he's dominated the anemic mariners lineup twice so time will tell. All in all I think Arrieta has the best fastball of the bunch and that alone will keep teams interested in him as a starter. Whether you turn that "interest" into trade bait I'm not sure.

As far as Britton goes, I don't think he's pitched all that bad but he's been inconsistent. He's burying the ball down in the zone and getting ground balls and strikeouts and then the next pitch he'll leave belt high and serve up a bomb. Perfect example is how he pitched last night. I don't have an official count but he had roughly 4 or 5 ground ball singles that found holes in the first two innings alone. Britton is a sinker ball pitcher and that's going to happen for him. If he can get his sinker more consistent his ERA and peripherals will improve greatly. His batting average against is up about 30 points over last year and is over .300 this year and that just isn't going to get it done. Britton's ability to keep the ball on the ground gives me faith in a young pitcher who is still developing and learning.

For all of these guys, I think the big thing is patience. Let's give them all a year with Petersen and see what they can do after that. Excellent starting pitching is hard to find and it's expensive. Most of these guys have had a slew of different pitching coaches and I think we need to give them time with Adair and the new approach of Petersen.

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not the GM. Young pitching is hard to predict and dealing and dealing for them is very risky which is why you need a multitude of them in your farm system and hope some of them pan out.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 12:15 pm

It sucks but they are going to continue to get chances as long as they are here. Seeing as how the O's refuse to part with any pitching talent via trade when they can improve the team (2005, this trade deadline, etc.) I would say we can expect to see this until the completely fall off a cliff or become major league starters. Tillman has been much better but he hasn't faced any top offenses yet so he still has more to prove.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Matt P wrote:Seeing as how the O's refuse to part with any pitching talent via trade when they can improve the team (2005, this trade deadline, etc.) I would say we can expect to see this until the completely fall off a cliff or become major league starters.

I haven't seen one reported trade that I would have made.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by bushwick » August 8th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Watching Arrieta in the beginning of the year was such a tease of what he can do. When he is on, his breaking ball/slider was un-hittable at times. But none of them can consistantly do it. I hope Johnson sticks and gives Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta the time they need in Norfolk.
bushwick
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » August 8th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I would move Matusz and Arrieta for Headley in a heartbeat. I doubt the Orioles will however and that is too bad because we need a stable 3B situation desperately 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 8th, 2012, 4:53 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would move Matusz and Arrieta for Headley in a heartbeat. I doubt the Orioles will however and that is too bad because we need a stable 3B situation desperately 8-)

\I am 1,000% with you on that one.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 4:57 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
\I am 1,000% with you on that one.

Why would you want to overpay?

I would have traded Arrieta and a lesser prospect for Headley, but why give away Matusz if no other team's offer was anywhere close? Matusz still has trade value and could help us fill another need if the team feels they have lost patience with him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 5:07 pm

I too would have traded Matusz and Arrieta for Headley. I have no faith in Matusz at all so I would have rather included him with Arrieta than a LJ Hoes, Parker Bridwell, or Nick Delmonico type prospect.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Matt P wrote:I too would have traded Matusz and Arrieta for Headley. I have no faith in Matusz at all so I would have rather included him with Arrieta than a LJ Hoes, Parker Bridwell, or Nick Delmonico type prospect.

I think we can all agree on having lost faith in Matusz, but why just give him away if another team values him at a higher level than we do? Clearly, the Padres placed a high value on him.

You are quick to point out that Tillman really benefited from extensive time with Peterson. Matusz has yet to admit to himself that he has a problem, but what if he finally does this winter and starts to listen? His value would increase dramatically.

I am also loathe to trade a SP when we could deal from our surplus of OF prospects. The market wasn't there for the Padres to demand Arrieta and Matusz, and it won't be this winter. The Padres NEED a quality OF prospect and Josh Byrnes knows that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 8:02 pm

ofahn wrote:
I think we can all agree on having lost faith in Matusz, but why just give him away if another team values him at a higher level than we do? Clearly, the Padres placed a high value on him.

You are quick to point out that Tillman really benefited from extensive time with Peterson. Matusz has yet to admit to himself that he has a problem, but what if he finally does this winter and starts to listen? His value would increase dramatically.

I am also loathe to trade a SP when we could deal from our surplus of OF prospects. The market wasn't there for the Padres to demand Arrieta and Matusz, and it won't be this winter. The Padres NEED a quality OF prospect and Josh Byrnes knows that.

If he does that would be great but considering that he had the worst season in professional baseball history and still doesn't think he needs to work on his mechanics is a sign he just doesn't get it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles