Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Tillman's decreasing velocity

Chris Tillman's decreasing velocity

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 8th, 2012, 12:13 am

(click to enlarge)

You can see that in his first start he averaged 95 mph. In his most recent start he averaged 91. His average velocity has decreased in each of his starts this season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Chris Tillman's decreasing velocity

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 12:15 am

I mentioned this his start before yesterday's. Interesting to see it in front of me though.
I have no clue what this means, or how much it affects. But definitely something to note.
He's pitched well, although 2 of those starts have been against Seattle which he dominates
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 8th, 2012, 12:23 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I mentioned this his start before yesterday's. Interesting to see it in front of me though.
I have no clue what this means, or how much it affects. But definitely something to note.
He's pitched well, although 2 of those starts have been against Seattle which he dominates

Yeah, no idea why it's happening or what it means.

Could it be because he was sick? Is he sacrificing velocity for command? I really have no idea.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 8th, 2012, 12:32 am

I think it's a combo of a good day for him in the first start (he probably wasn't going to match that velocity going forward) and the flu sapping his strength. It sounded like he was really sick and it effected him for 2 starts which is over a week so not only did it sap his strength but it probably knocked him off his routine and it may take a couple weeks for him to get back his strength and get back on a roll with his routine. I'm not too worried.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by BaltimoreFan » August 8th, 2012, 1:33 am

I don't think it's something to worry about until either: A) His average dips below 90 or B) He starts losing games
BaltimoreFan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » August 8th, 2012, 6:37 am

According to one OH post I read, he was hitting 94 in the sixth/seventh vs. Seattle. I'm not concerned 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » August 8th, 2012, 6:41 am

Just a guess but perhaps he picks up movement when he eases up? His fastball is pretty straight.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » August 8th, 2012, 6:44 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Is he sacrificing velocity for command?

If that's the case then I applaud him. His last game against Seattle he was VERY aggressive with two strikes and got into the Eighth.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by osforlife » August 8th, 2012, 10:21 am

1.) He was amped up the his first start and throwing on adrenaline
2.) The flu took some strength away from him
3.) The Safeco Park radar gun is pumped up a few mph. Tillman reached 97 in the 9th inning. Chen was throwing 95 all game. Don said the radar gun was giving Iwakuma a few more mph on his fastball.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 12:23 pm

According to MASN, birdwatcher55 is right, he was hitting 94 in the later innings.

He was really sick for over a week. It's very possible that he's not 100% yet. I've noticed every game he pitches he starts off low 90's and pumps it up as the game goes on. I don't know if that is intentional and they are taking a page from Verlander's book or if it just takes him a few innings to really find his fastball where he can trust letting it go.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 12:25 pm

Matt P wrote:According to MASN, birdwatcher55 is right, he was hitting 94 in the later innings.

He was really sick for over a week. It's very possible that he's not 100% yet. I've noticed every game he pitches he starts off low 90's and pumps it up as the game goes on. I don't know if that is intentional and they are taking a page from Verlander's book or if it just takes him a few innings to really find his fastball where he can trust letting it go.

I think that's just how he is to be honest.
But as mentioned above, until he really starts getting lit up, I'm probably not going to worry about it entirely too much.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #12 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 12:38 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
I think that's just how he is to be honest.
But as mentioned above, until he really starts getting lit up, I'm probably not going to worry about it entirely too much.

Yeah, nothing to worry about. His change up and cutter are much improved this year which is more important than his velocity on the fastball. He couldn't control the breaking ball Monday but that has always been his best pitch and he did strike out a couple with it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 12:41 pm

The only thing I thought was weird from Tillman and Wieters in his last start was that they went change up consecutively a few times.

Just thinking out loud here, but what exactly are you changing speeds on when throwing two 81 MPH change ups in a row? I'm not sure whether this is Tillman, Wieters, or whomever, but that doesn't exactly scream "good idea" to me.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Probably Wieters. I've seen all the pitchers do things like this all year. He must think that the hitter won't expect it a 2nd time in a row. One thing I always wonder is what is he looking at in the dugout. I thought he called his own pitches yet he always seems to look in the dugout when a runner is on base.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Tucker Blair » August 8th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Matt P wrote:Probably Wieters. I've seen all the pitchers do things like this all year. He must think that the hitter won't expect it a 2nd time in a row. One thing I always wonder is what is he looking at in the dugout. I thought he called his own pitches yet he always seems to look in the dugout when a runner is on base.

It often looks like Wieters is getting calls from the dugout. If the case, I'm not sure how that is helping his progression as a catcher with training wheels still on. I'm not 100% sure that's the case though.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles