Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Can Miguel Gonzalez keep it up?

Can Miguel Gonzalez keep it up?

PostPost #1 by BuckMagic » August 6th, 2012, 10:01 pm

I don't understand this guy....

How is he this good and who is responsible for signing him?

I am in a bit of disbelief that they are actually getting some production from this guy...

Is he looking like a candidate for next year's rotation???
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Can Miguel Gonzalez keep it up?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 10:07 pm

BuckMagic wrote:Is he looking like a candidate for next year's rotation?

Yes, but we would be a better team if there were five SPs better than him.

He has been a nice surprise but I don't see him as much better than a #4 on a good team. Matusz and Arrieta have a MUCH higher upside than Gonzalez if they remove their craniums from close proximity to their rectal orifices and start trusting their stuff. Britton can't be fairly evaluated until he's completely healthy again.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » August 6th, 2012, 10:08 pm

I like Gonzalez because he knows how to "pitch".

It's all with his head, although he does have some nice action on his 92 mph fastball.
I probably wouldn't say he is THIS good, but he could turn out to be a decent backend guy or a decent guy out of the pen.
He was a good signing.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 6th, 2012, 10:11 pm

BuckMagic wrote:I don't understand this guy....

How is he this good and who is responsible for signing him?

I am in a bit of disbelief that they are actually getting some production from this guy...

Is he looking like a candidate for next year's rotation???

He's pitched really well. When he commands his arsenal he is pretty effective but just looking at some of the stats he has been pretty lucky.

.254 BABIP, 85.9 LOB%, 5.39 FIP.

His HR/FB% is probably also not going to remain at 13.8%, but his GB% isn't stellar either.

I do think his control is a bit better than he has shown so far. When it's all said and done I think he is a nice #5/spot starter/swing man.

Certainly a nice find.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 6th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Also, Fred Ferreira scouted him, really liked him, and recommended to Duquette that they sign him. Not sure exactly who signed him though.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » August 6th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Also, Fred Ferreira scouted him, really liked him, and recommended to Duquette that they sign him. Not sure exactly who signed him though.

ah that's the name I was looking for. Ferreira.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 10:27 pm

The Shark found him in a Mexican league.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #8 by David » August 6th, 2012, 11:46 pm

I really believe he can, he's showed that he can perform at the big league level against some top tier offenses. He really needs to limit the homerun ball along with pitching well at home too. His splits on the road vs at home are just outstandingly different.

I'd try and say more but considering it's 1am I'd most likely say something that just isn't true or from a different pitcher.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 7th, 2012, 12:40 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:He's pitched really well. When he commands his arsenal he is pretty effective but just looking at some of the stats he has been pretty lucky.

.254 BABIP, 85.9 LOB%, 5.39 FIP.

His HR/FB% is probably also not going to remain at 13.8%, but his GB% isn't stellar either.

I do think his control is a bit better than he has shown so far. When it's all said and done I think he is a nice #5/spot starter/swing man.

Certainly a nice find.

In reference to his stats it should be noted that there have been multiple games where he has simply tired out as his pitch count climbed over 100 (against the Yankees he gave up the back to back home runs after shutting them down). This can be attributed to his role as a reliever for most of the season.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » August 7th, 2012, 5:55 am

I think the jury is still out on his long term future in MLB. I want to see what he does in his second and third turn through the AL before I'm ready to hand him a rotation spot next year. Right now I see only Hammel and Chen as definites for '13. We need to sign a free agent veteran and then see if some remnants of the The Cavalry can stick before we pencil in Gonzalez next year. :|
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #11 by mikezpen » August 7th, 2012, 7:33 am

His next start is against KC which is one of the worst-hitting teams in the league, so that won't offer much of an indicator.

I agree that they just start him till he shows he can't cut it.There's nothing to lose. He's been a nice, low-cost pick-up.
Last edited by mikezpen on August 7th, 2012, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Ampontan » August 7th, 2012, 7:46 am

It should also be noted that, IIRC, Showalter saw him the first time he came up and liked his potential as a starter, though others might have thought the same. MGII in the rotation is partly a BS project.

It should also be noted that he worked with Peterson in the minor leagues, and Peterson not long ago cited Tillman and Gonzalez as two people who really bought into the program.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #13 by Rising O's » August 7th, 2012, 9:40 am

He got crushed by TB the last time out so he must have made adjustments and that is very encouraging. You have to love that he battles too. Walk and HR totals have to come down if he's going to have long term success.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #14 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 10:25 am

Rising O's wrote:He got crushed by TB the last time out so he must have made adjustments and that is very encouraging. You have to love that he battles too. Walk and HR totals have to come down if he's going to have long term success.

He was really sick that outing so I'd give him a pass.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » August 7th, 2012, 11:48 am

KC is a good hitting team. I'm wary of them 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles