Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Would The Orioles Improve 1B By Platooning Overbay With Reynolds?

Would The Orioles Improve 1B By Platooning Overbay With Reynolds?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 7:57 am

Lyle Overbay is now a free agent. His splits against RH pitching are excellent. Combined with Reynolds' splits against LH pitching and 1B would be improved. particularly since Overbay's glove would get the majority of the ABs. Overbay could use Gregg's roster spots.

AB H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS
Reynolds v. LH 71 18 5 0 2 10 1 1 16 22 .254 .398 .408 .806
Overbay v. RH 82 25 8 0 2 10 0 0 11 19 .305 .383 .476 .859

IMO this would be an upgrade.

Thanks to osforlife for catching my error.
Last edited by ofahn on August 6th, 2012, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Would The Orioles Improve 1B By Platooning Overbay With Reynolds?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 6th, 2012, 9:45 am

Would it be worth it to sign Overbay?

I would rather them play Andino at 3B and Reynolds at 1B vs. lefties and then have Davis at 1B and Betemit at 3B against righties.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 10:32 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Would it be worth it to sign Overbay?

I would rather them play Andino at 3B and Reynolds at 1B vs. lefties and then have Davis at 1B and Betemit at 3B against righties.

In dollars and cents the cost would be minimal because we would be paying the pro rated remainder of the ML minimum. I would also see this as a defensive upgrade over the platoon you suggested at 1B.

IMO it will easier and more cost efficient to upgrade defensively than it will to buy a big (and overpriced) bat. If we can't bludgeon the other guys into submission then we should build a team can prevent runs in any way possible.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 6th, 2012, 5:36 pm

ofahn wrote:
In dollars and cents the cost would be minimal because we would be paying the pro rated remainder of the ML minimum. I would also see this as a defensive upgrade over the platoon you suggested at 1B.

IMO it will easier and more cost efficient to upgrade defensively than it will to buy a big (and overpriced) bat. If we can't bludgeon the other guys into submission then we should build a team can prevent runs in any way possible.

I would love this. Why in the world did the Diamondbacks let him go he was hitting .297/.367/.448! I know it was in Arizona's hitters haven but those are not bad numbers by any means. Platooning Overbay and Reynolds would get the most out of both players. Cutting Reynolds' ABs down certainly wouldn't be a bad thing in itself either...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 8:51 pm

It's time to realize they aren't going to cut Gregg.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by David » August 6th, 2012, 11:48 pm

I'd say no, just because Reynolds is playing so well defensively that we can afford to keep him in the lineup until he breaks out into the homerun machine he's proved he can be.

I was at the 17 inning ballgame in Boston and another in that same series and he hit 2 shots over the Green-monster. I don't remember which game it was exactly but if he can swing like that for the last 50 or so games that would be fantastic. He certainly did tonight, missed a homer by a few feet on one of his doubles.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 7th, 2012, 12:42 am

Matt P wrote:It's time to realize they aren't going to cut Gregg.

Gregg doesn't even bother me that much anymore. He's just an expensive mop up guy...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 7th, 2012, 12:47 am

David wrote:I'd say no, just because Reynolds is playing so well defensively that we can afford to keep him in the lineup until he breaks out into the homerun machine he's proved he can be.

I was at the 17 inning ballgame in Boston and another in that same series and he hit 2 shots over the Green-monster. I don't remember which game it was exactly but if he can swing like that for the last 50 or so games that would be fantastic. He certainly did tonight, missed a homer by a few feet on one of his doubles.

He's MUCH better against left handed pitching though; he has a career .875 OPS vs. LHP (.806 this year) and a career OPS of .776 against RHP (a measly .635 this year). At this point in the season being in the chase, the team just doesn't have the time to let Reynolds break out of his season long slump, they need production. He has been better lately so I do think he deserves to start against lefties and maybe some righties but I would prefer to have a left handed 1B like Overbay take the lion's share of at bats vs. RHP.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles