Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The next 10 games

The next 10 games

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 1:02 am

The next 10 games are at home and they are against Seattle, Kansas City, and Boston. As of this post all three teams are under .500 and only Boston has a chance to be above .500 by the time they play the O's. The Mariners are 8-2 in their last 10 games and the O's start a 3 game series with them tomorrow night.

They went 4-2 on a 6 game road trip against New York and Tampa. Now, it's time to go on a run and take at least 7 of the next 10 games and improve on that 25-26 home record. They do not have another stretch like this for the remainder of the season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: The next 10 games

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 6th, 2012, 10:09 am

This is the biggest stretch the Orioles have to "take advantage" of their competition.

I am most worried about Seattle (Just saying that is weird). They've been clicking the past week and Felix has been a monster.

KC has a team that can club it, but that pitching is....bad.

The Orioles seem to just have the Sox number since last year... They are still better than the record indicates, but they have legitimate worries right now as a club. The pitching staff is just not good. Kinda like how the Orioles fans think of their staff. But they have serious under-performers.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 10:34 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:This is the biggest stretch the Orioles have to "take advantage" of their competition.

I am most worried about Seattle (Just saying that is weird). They've been clicking the past week and Felix has been a monster.

KC has a team that can club it, but that pitching is....bad.

The Orioles seem to just have the Sox number since last year... They are still better than the record indicates, but they have legitimate worries right now as a club. The pitching staff is just not good. Kinda like how the Orioles fans think of their staff. But they have serious under-performers.

If we can win each series then the fans would have reason to get "playoff fever".
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by osforlife » August 6th, 2012, 12:05 pm

Tillman vs Vargas. Vargas has been on a roll lately but is nothing great away from Safeco.
Britton vs Beaven. Beavan is not a good pitcher- looking for a bounceback outing from Britton- could be slugger's fest
Hunter vs Millwood. Millwood has been suprisingly effective. But so has Hunter.
Chen vs Smith. Chen is better than this guy.
Gonzalez vs Hochevar. Gonzalez is better than this guy.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » August 6th, 2012, 12:45 pm

Would settle for 6-4. The problem is: we don't play well at home for whatever reason 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » August 6th, 2012, 1:39 pm

osforlife wrote:Tillman vs Vargas. Vargas has been on a roll lately but is nothing great away from Safeco.
Britton vs Beaven. Beavan is not a good pitcher- looking for a bounceback outing from Britton- could be slugger's fest
Hunter vs Millwood. Millwood has been suprisingly effective. But so has Hunter.
Chen vs Smith. Chen is better than this guy.
Gonzalez vs Hochevar. Gonzalez is better than this guy.

Oh good, they don't face Felix.
Hochevar is an enigma. Wouldn't be shocked to see him go 8 strong innings or be knocked out in the 2nd.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 1:46 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Hochevar is an enigma.

I was surprised when it was revealed that the Orioles were in discussions with the Royals to trade Arrieta for him and Broxton.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by dan72 » August 6th, 2012, 5:17 pm

6-4 would be my minimal expectation, anything above that would be great. I hate to look ahead but this would be the perfect time to kick Boston while they are down. Boston's pitching has been real bad and our free swinging band of misfits should eat that bad pitching up.
Hopefully at the end of this 10 games, we can gain a game or two on the Yankees. The division is not out of reach and thats really what we should be focused on. Wild card spots are going to be tough, battling 4-5 quality teams for 2 spots is going to be tough.
I'd feel better about our chances had we made a move before the TD, but that history now. Gotta ride the horses that got us here.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 7:08 pm

dan72 wrote:I'd feel better about our chances had we made a move before the TD

What move would you have made that wasn't going to cost us an important piece of our future other than Headley? Frankly, considering what was available, I'm glad we stood pat. I would have traded for Headley but the Padres were suffering from heat stroke. That will change this winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » August 6th, 2012, 7:39 pm

I agree regarding the TD. No real fits....but in the meantime I like our line up we have now. We have been horrible for the most part at the top of the order for two years. Now we could be outstanding if Hardy gets going whcih I think he will . Plus our defense is suddenly maybe a strength. Q is such an upgrade over Andino in so many fundamental ways that we now have very strong team D up the middle. And LF D is now solid. Look down the lineup and theres alot of probables that could add up:
Markakis - love him in this spot..
Hardy - with runners on and hitters behind him should go back to a .280/ HR guy
Davis- What was his ave. in the OF? Less than .200? now clear mind at DH and being that .290/ HR guy
Jones- If he doesnt wear down watch his RBIs take a huge jump
Weiters- Been a 2nd half guy the last two years. Should stay fresh..
LF-- Hoping to be .265 with a lil pop and solid D
And/Bet-- Bet hits righties, Andio does pretty good with lefties. Def imporved 30% with Andino starts and def replacement
Reynolds- For now he is the guy...that relief and law of averages could mean he hits 15hrs the rest of the way..playn good d
Q-------- Solid D..Enough said..

There is hope for a run with what we have..Reynolds is such a big part of where we go...and it isnt just a coincidence our Starting Pitching is hot since we improved our Defense.

I like our team right now..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 8:59 pm

Great way to start it off. Great games for Reynolds, Markakis, and Tillman. So many wrote off Tillman even as Peterson stated all season that he would be one of the O's best pitchers this year. It's great to see him continue to silence his critics.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » August 7th, 2012, 7:55 am

They need 6 of 7 against Seattle and KC and 2 of 3 over the Sox to really position themselves. I think they can do that, particularly since they miss Felix. Then they go on the road for 6 at Det. and Tx.-that's nasty.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » August 7th, 2012, 11:51 am

I would do cartwheels if we go 3-3 in Texas and Detroit. That is brutality 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 11:53 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would do cartwheels if we go 3-3 in Texas and Detroit. That is brutality 8-)

The Yankees are just as good as Detroit and they took 2 out of 3 in New York. 3-3 would be fine but the goal should be 4-2.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » August 7th, 2012, 11:55 am

No way are we going 4-2 in those two cities. It's not happening my friend 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles