Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Joe Mahoney September call up?

Re: Joe Mahoney September call up?

PostPost #16 by osforlife » August 6th, 2012, 11:44 am

The reason I would include Joe Mahoney on my top 30 prospect list is because he has a chance to help us one way or the other in the big leagues RIGHT NOW. And thats something some of these prospects will never do. Will he ever be a typical 1st basemen slugger? Probably not. Almost no chance really. Thats not his game. But look at James Loney, he's had a starting job all these years. Granted, Mahoney is putting up numbers in AAA that Loney puts up in the majors. But maybe Mahoney can figure it out in AAA next year and push himself into the majors. Or Joe could pull a Brandon Snyder and not improve at all.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 9:01 pm

osforlife wrote:The reason I would include Joe Mahoney on my top 30 prospect list is because he has a chance to help us one way or the other in the big leagues RIGHT NOW. And thats something some of these prospects will never do. Will he ever be a typical 1st basemen slugger? Probably not. Almost no chance really. Thats not his game. But look at James Loney, he's had a starting job all these years. Granted, Mahoney is putting up numbers in AAA that Loney puts up in the majors. But maybe Mahoney can figure it out in AAA next year and push himself into the majors. Or Joe could pull a Brandon Snyder and not improve at all.

How could he help the team right now?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #18 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 9:20 pm

osforlife wrote:The reason I would include Joe Mahoney on my top 30 prospect list is because he has a chance to help us one way or the other in the big leagues RIGHT NOW.

Prospects who could help us now might be a different list than one based on talent and potential. The "Help Us Now" List would have Hoes, Avery, Steve Johnson, and a couple of others at the top while Hoes and Avery don't make the top five based on talent and/or potential.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by Don » August 7th, 2012, 7:19 am

Just b/c your not on any top prospect list, it does not mean that player cannot see the majors. You guys get hung on placements, it is the reason I really detest doing them in the first place.

Joe Mahoney is in the third or fourth tier of prospects in a group. These players have a shot to make the roster, but the potential for everyday player is likely limited do to a flaw or deficiency in their overall game.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by osforlife » August 7th, 2012, 10:36 am

Matt P wrote:
How could he help the team right now?

I heard he has a good glove. And he is a lefty, so he could platoon with Reynolds. Even though he hits lefties and righties the same. He might be able to hit righties better than Reynolds.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 10:50 am

osforlife wrote:I heard he has a good glove. And he is a lefty, so he could platoon with Reynolds. Even though he hits lefties and righties the same. He might be able to hit righties better than Reynolds.

Mark Reynolds has been great with the glove at 1B. He is having the worst offensive season of his career and his OPS against right handed pitching is .635. Joe Mahoney has an OPS against right handed pitching of .678 in AAA. If his OPS is only .678 against them in AAA I doubt he would be better than Reynolds in the majors. Plus, Reynolds has the potential to go off at anytime.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by Tucker Blair » August 7th, 2012, 11:15 am

Don wrote:Just b/c your not on any top prospect list, it does not mean that player cannot see the majors. You guys get hung on placements, it is the reason I really detest doing them in the first place.

Joe Mahoney is in the third or fourth tier of prospects in a group. These players have a shot to make the roster, but the potential for everyday player is likely limited do to a flaw or deficiency in their overall game.

Well said.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #23 by osforlife » August 7th, 2012, 11:15 am

Matt P wrote:
Mark Reynolds has been great with the glove at 1B. He is having the worst offensive season of his career and his OPS against right handed pitching is .635. Joe Mahoney has an OPS against right handed pitching of .678 in AAA. If his OPS is only .678 against them in AAA I doubt he would be better than Reynolds in the majors. Plus, Reynolds has the potential to go off at anytime.

Oh I know. I've been one of the Reynolds supporters. I'am just waiting for him to go off and carry this team for 2 weeks. He has been heating up lately and that is a good sign. I shouldn't have said he could help the Orioles. I said he could help a big league club right now. And then I continued to give an example of the Orioles. But if Mahoney was to be called up to the big leagues, the Orioles would be one of the smarter options.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 12:35 pm

osforlife wrote:I heard he has a good glove. And he is a lefty, so he could platoon with Reynolds

I can see him being called up in September to do EXACTLY that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 1:06 pm

ofahn wrote:
I can see him being called up in September to do EXACTLY that.

Why do you think that?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 1:27 pm

Matt P wrote:Why do you think that?

Because

1) He has a chance to be a future part of this team and Reynolds doesn't (and shouldn't)
2) His splits OVER THE LAST SIX WEEKS show that he MAY be a better choice against RHs than Reynolds
3) He may be the best defensive 3B in the entire system
4) The team will probably want to evaluate him in the ML AND in the AFL to decide whether he can be part of the future

Of course, Reynolds might use his bat to declare he doesn't want to BE part of a platoon and carry the team for a month or so but I have my doubts about that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 1:31 pm

ofahn wrote:
Because

1) He has a chance to be a future part of this team and Reynolds doesn't (and shouldn't)
2) His splits OVER THE LAST SIX WEEKS show that he MAY be a better choice against RHs than Reynolds
3) He may be the best defensive 3B in the entire system
4) The team will probably want to evaluate him in the ML AND in the AFL to decide whether he can be part of the future

Of course, Reynolds might use his bat to declare he doesn't want to BE part of a platoon and carry the team for a month or so but I have my doubts about that.

Good points, but if they are still in a pennant race next month I don't think they are going to worry about evaluating players. The last few years guys like Mahoney, Hoes, Avery, etc. would all get playing time in September but I don't think that will be the case unless the team has a horrible August. Buck is going to play whoever he thinks gives them the best chance to win and he believes in Reynolds.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Matt P wrote:if they are still in a pennant race next month I don't think they are going to worry about evaluating players

Evaluating a player doesn't have to mean they are getting the bulk of the playing time. That being said I can still see Mahoney taking some ABs away from Reynolds UNLESS Reynolds gives the team a reason not to.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 1:36 pm

ofahn wrote:
Evaluating a player doesn't have to mean they are getting the bulk of the playing time. That being said I can still see Mahoney taking some ABs away from Reynolds UNLESS Reynolds gives the team a reason not to.

It wouldn't be a fair evaluation if he was only playing once or twice a week though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Matt P wrote:
It wouldn't be a fair evaluation if he was only playing once or twice a week though.

Hence, the need to assign him to the AFL, too, to be objective and fair.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues