Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jonathan Schoop Scouting Report

Jonathan Schoop Scouting Report

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 6th, 2012, 10:24 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/08/06/jo ... port-2012/

Curacao is a small island in the Caribbean that is the home of many stars. Players from the island include Jurickson Profar, Andruw Jones, and Kenley Jansen. It also happens to be the home of rising prospect Jonathan Schoop. The 20 year old infielder has risen fast through the rankings in the past two years, and has finally put his name on the map.

Schoop ranked 4th on all three top prospect lists published this week. Below are some observations on his build, swing, offense, and defense.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jonathan Schoop Scouting Report

PostPost #2 by Tucker Blair » August 6th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Another thing I want to touch on is that Schoop has always been an extremely fast learner. He's learned the language in 2 years, and apparently acts as an interpreter for OTHER players (from what I have heard). Often times they are older. In the baseball picture, it probably matters little, but it shows what kind of person Schoop is and that he can really learn on the fly. I really look forward to seeing how he handles the rest of this season and next year. Do not be shocked if he suddenly flicks the light switch on. But Baseball is a sport that 99/100 never reach their ceiling, so don't bash the guy if he never makes the adjustments I mentioned. He's already come so far, and it's very impressive.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #3 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 7:14 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:He's learned the language in 2 years

Do you know what his first language is? When I was in Curacao they spoke Spanish, Dutch, a native Indian, and even some Danish.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » August 6th, 2012, 10:56 pm

ofahn wrote:
Do you know what his first language is? When I was in Curacao they spoke Spanish, Dutch, a native Indian, and even some Danish.

I have absolutely no clue to be honest haha.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 6th, 2012, 11:03 pm

ofahn wrote:

I will try to find out for you.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #6 by Don » August 7th, 2012, 7:13 am

The country speaks a form of Creole, mixture of Latin and Germanic languages, even though it is a former Danish colony.

Schoop has not really learned, just improved on the baseline as English is mixed in with their local dialect.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues