Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Can the O's system have a Royals like Outburst?

Can the O's system have a Royals like Outburst?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 19th, 2011, 11:48 am

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/2/1 ... 010-status

Head over to Minor League Ball and check out my guest post titled "Which Prospects Can Return the Orioles System to its Pre-2010 Status?" Here's the intro:

The Orioles, considered a top 10 farm system by most analysts as recently as 2010, now find themselves as a consensus bottom 10 system. Whether you want to blame this on the recent graduations of players like Brian Matusz, Jake Arrieta or Josh Bell, the large amount of injuries throughout the system or bad luck; whatever it is, the bottom line is the amount of talent in the O's minors is nowhere close to that of any of their AL East competitors.

While no one is expecting a minor league breakout like the Royals had, there is enough potential within the O’s system to restore them to the top 10 system they once were. Let’s take a look at some grade "C" prospects who, with one season, could turn themselves into grade "B" prospects and help turn this system around.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Can the O's system have a Royals like Outburst?

PostPost #2 by Don » February 19th, 2011, 12:27 pm

This was expected by people that really know the vision. They have graduated alot of guys over the last three seasons and the past two drafts were focused on long term solutions and not quick gap college players. If the Orioles were able to sign Anderson from Cal last season, he could have sneaked into the 90-110 overall prospect range, at best within the top 150. Dan Klien is in that range and honestly I cannot see why Schoop is not logged into it as well. Watch him and then watch Sano from the Twins. You tell me that Schoop does not look almost exactly alike that prospect. He is sitting pretty in the top 20, but whatever.

I am not quite sure you can get the "perfect storm" outcome that was seen with the Royals. This was a hit that should never happen to any team, any time in the history of the game. The Orioles can make a nice leap next season with the massive amount of talent in single A, but it is alot to ask for the giant jump seen last season by the Royals.

Still shocked that Sickels feels Givens is a "B"

My prediction:

Improving position players:
Hoes, Schoop, Joesph, Webb, Dalles

Wildcard: Narron

Improving Arms:
Bundy, Wirsch, Bridwell, Vader, Martin

Wildcard: Esquivel
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Esskay » February 19th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Answer to title question: No.

For two reasons: (1) Most of the O's projectable guys are pitchers. The Royals outburst was more balanced. And (2) The Royals' guys were at A+, AA, or AAA, while the O's most promising players are at Rookie through A ball. A true "Royals-like" outburst could easily happen in 2012, though.
Esskay
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by BuckMagic » February 19th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Esskay wrote:Answer to title question: No.

For two reasons: (1) Most of the O's projectable guys are pitchers. The Royals outburst was more balanced. And (2) The Royals' guys were at A+, AA, or AAA, while the O's most promising players are at Rookie through A ball. A true "Royals-like" outburst could easily happen in 2012, though.

That is key.

Touching up on Jordan's original post back at Minor League Ball:

You mentioned you left off guys like Avery and Hoes. If they succeed at Bowie I think they are definite B prospects. Am I the only one that doesn't find Hoes' .374 OBP at Frederick as the second youngest player in the league extremely impressive? If he does that at Bowie he's an instant B prospect. No question there. Am I crazy for liking Hoes over Avery?
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Don » February 19th, 2011, 10:17 pm

Only pitchers....man drink the orange kool aid because I think the future infield of the majors is Hoes, Schoop, and Machado. I feel Schoop is not given enough national credit and this kid can be something special.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » February 20th, 2011, 1:50 pm

Jordan.

Nice piece. Funny how many ifs and how much potential there is. You mention several of the likely candiadates, but think of how many others there are out there. You mention Bridwell as part of the Delmarva rotation, but on the rosters page have him slotted as the #4 starter in Aberdeen. Are you higher on him now, or are you looking at a late season move up?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 21st, 2011, 9:50 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Jordan.

Nice piece. Funny how many ifs and how much potential there is. You mention several of the likely candiadates, but think of how many others there are out there. You mention Bridwell as part of the Delmarva rotation, but on the rosters page have him slotted as the #4 starter in Aberdeen. Are you higher on him now, or are you looking at a late season move up?

Those projections were posted right at the end of last season (I believe). I'm about to go back through and update them all and Bridwell will be moved to the Delmarva rotation.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues