Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Reynolds needs to go

Reynolds needs to go

PostPost #1 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 3rd, 2012, 9:30 pm

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point and everybody would agree with that statement but I think it needs to be said again. Reynolds needs to go. He had the three biggest at bats tonight's critical game against the Rays and he struck out each time. A .696 OPS from your first baseman is just not good enough. Find somebody who can play average defense at first base and can produce a .700+ OPS on waivers for goodness sakes... Why the Orioles didn't end up taking Carlos Lee off the Marlins' hands is beyond me

From MLBTRADERUMORS: "The Marlins tried to get $2.5MM from the Orioles for Lee, Heyman reports. However, the Orioles declined the offer (it’s unclear if the Orioles are on Lee’s 14-team no-trade list).").

If the Orioles want to win, Reynolds should be gone regardless of how much money he's being paid but I guess that money is more important to this organization than winning. A shame...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Reynolds needs to go

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2012, 9:57 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I guess that money is more important to this organization than winning.

...and has been for some time now...
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 3rd, 2012, 10:04 pm

ofahn wrote:
...and has been for some time now...

I guess I was naive enough to think that had changed...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Matt P » August 4th, 2012, 1:50 am

He had a bad game and is having a bad year, no doubt about it. But, he's not going anywhere. He has had a few big hits recently (Minnesota series comes to mind, as does Tuesday vs the Yankees). He's got the highest batting average on the team with RISP and 2 outs and the 4th highest with RISP.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » August 4th, 2012, 7:53 am

Carlos Lee is washed up. I don't see where Reynolds is killing this club right now. Bettemit failed in the clutch as well last night. We had a chance to break it open early last night and failed. Six other folks also went 0-for-6 in RISP situations 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 4th, 2012, 1:19 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Carlos Lee is washed up. I don't see where Reynolds is killing this club right now. Bettemit failed in the clutch as well last night. We had a chance to break it open early last night and failed. Six other folks also went 0-for-6 in RISP situations 8-)

Reynolds went 0-3 though with 3 strikeouts in those situations last night.

Carlos Lee: .290/.353/397 K% 7.1

Mark Reynolds: .207/.322/.365 K% 31.5

Who's washed up? Reynolds' BABIP is the highest it's been since '09 so it's not like he's been unlucky. I really think the Orioles could do better on the waiver wire at first base than Reynolds. Steve Pearce would have been a better option and they could have put him in a platoon before Thome got hurt.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » August 5th, 2012, 7:25 am

Carlos Lee is retiring after this season to his cattle farm. The Orioles would never pick up his contract remains. Reynolds is our best option right now. He's decent with the glove and could explode at any time with the bat. Steve Pearce doesn't belong on a MLB roster. I know Overby's name has been kicked around but I would rather keep Reynolds. If he gets into a hot stretch, he could carry this team. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » August 5th, 2012, 10:08 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Steve Pearce doesn't belong on a MLB roster.

I didn't think he was bad at all as a bench guy vs lefties. Certainly better than Lew Ford.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #9 by Matt P » August 5th, 2012, 3:45 pm

After drawing his 2nd walk on the day in the 10th inning he comes around to score on Teagarden's double to give the O's a 1-0 lead in the top of the 10th. Also, has had a few great scoops at 1B today. Get this bum off the team!
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 5th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Matt P wrote:After drawing his 2nd walk on the day in the 10th inning he comes around to score on Teagarden's double to give the O's a 1-0 lead in the top of the 10th. Also, has had a few great scoops at 1B today. Get this bum off the team!

Again, a sub .700 OPS from your first baseman is not going to cut it. Nice to see him take walks because he certainly has a hard time putting the ball in play. He was 0 for 7 with six strikeouts in the other two games in the series stranding numerous baserunners.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Matt P » August 5th, 2012, 4:04 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
Again, a sub .700 OPS from your first baseman is not going to cut it. Nice to see him take walks because he certainly has a hard time putting the ball in play. He was 0 for 7 with six strikeouts in the other two games in the series stranding numerous baserunners.

If he was 0-7 with 6 groundouts would you be as hard on him? The entire team strands runners at an alarming rate and Reynolds as I pointed out is arguably the top "clutch" hitter on the team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm

Matt P wrote:
If he was 0-7 with 6 groundouts would you be as hard on him? The entire team strands runners at an alarming rate and Reynolds as I pointed out is arguably the top "clutch" hitter on the team.

No I wouldn't. Strikeouts do nothing for the team. With Chris Davis on second and none out in a key situation on Friday night he struck out. A groundball to the right side would have been great in that situation... He certainly wasn't the top clutch hitter on the team this series. I think he stranded around 5 runners on Friday night over 3 of his at bats (all 3 were strikeouts).

I would definitely give Adam Jones the label of top clutch hitter on the team over Reynolds.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Matt P » August 5th, 2012, 4:15 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
No I wouldn't. Strikeouts do nothing for the team. With Chris Davis on second and none out in a key situation on Friday night he struck out. A groundball to the right side would have been great in that situation... He certainly wasn't the top clutch hitter on the team this series. I think he stranded around 5 runners on Friday night over 3 of his at bats (all 3 were strikeouts).

I would definitely give Adam Jones the label of top clutch hitter on the team over Reynolds.

One series doesn't define an entire season. Like I said, he's got the best average with RISP and 2 outs and is top 4 with RISP on the season. I'd give the nod to Adam as well but it is worth noting that Reynolds has been "clutch" this year. The difference is when he struggles it is magnified and everyone wants him off the team but when he does come through with a game winning hit or when he does get the first RBI of a 7 run inning with a 2 out double nobody says a word about him. Even if he did ground out he would be grounding out to short or 3rd most likely which would have done nothing and a fly out wouldn't have done anything either.

The same thing goes with his defense at 1B. He has been great all series making scoop after scoop after scoop. He makes a bunch of diving plays as well all the time at 1B. Nobody ever says anything about that. But, when he makes an error you better believe there will be a thread made talking about how he shouldn't be allowed to have a glove, should be DFA'd, etc.

He's having a bad year but he's a career .800+ OPS hitter. It's not like he's 35+ like Vlad, Lee, etc. where the "track record" is nothing but hope. If he turns it on he can carry the team to the playoffs and if he doesn't he still is the best option they have at 1B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » August 5th, 2012, 10:58 pm

Who scored the game winner today?? ;)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 8:54 pm

3-3, 2 doubles, RBI, R

Defensively, he saved a runner in scoring position with nobody out by cutting off a throw home and got the out at 2nd. Also, made a diving stop on a bad throw by Jim Johnson in the 9th that would have scored the Mariners a run.

Get this bum off the team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles