Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

8/4/12 BAYSOX GAME

8/4/12 BAYSOX GAME

PostPost #1 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 9:47 pm

I attended Bowie’s game on Saturday, August 4th. I wrote some notes on a notepad throughout the game. The Baysox won the game 8-7 against the Yankees’ AA affiliate, the Trenton Thunder. Their record is now 58-54. I’ll post my notes here.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: 8/4/12 BAYSOX GAME

PostPost #2 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Wow oh wow. Thank God I ended up going to this game. I swear to you I called this. On the way up to the game I told my friend “Y’know, I think something special is gonna happen tonight. Well actually, I think somebody is gonna hit for the cycle.” Indeed, Manny Machado hit for the cycle. Triple, Double, Single, Homer. Before the bottom of the 8th started, I told my friend “Okay, here is what is gonna happen. Hughes is gonna walk, and Manny is gonna hit a bomb to left-center on a 1-0 pitch to give the Baysox the lead.” It turns out, it was a 0-1 pitch but it was still pretty cool.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Here’s Machado’s recap:
Machado led off the bottom of the 2nd with a 1-0 triple. He drove this low-middle fastball to right center and was hustling right out of the box. He has decent speed and slid into third a good amount before the tag. He came into score on a hard one-hopper to short that Caleb Joseph hit. In the third, Machado ripped another low 1-2 fastball down the third baseline for a double. In Manny’s third at-bat, he smoked a ground ball single up the middle on the first pitch. For his final at-bat, man oh man, he KILLS a 0-1 fastball to left-center to complete the cycle and give the Baysox the lead at 8-7. Whatta night at the plate. Unfortunately, he made another two errors tonight. He made two routine plays in the game but in the 6th there was a soft chopper hit to Manny. It should have been a double play but he booted it. He then made an errant throw to first in which the runner on second moved to third. The Thunder continued with 4 extra runs that shouldn’t have scored. Luckily, he picked himself up.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Other notes:
Jonathan Schoop did not play tonight. I was disappointed because he went 3-5 last night. Josh Barfield started at second base instead.
Zagone pitched pretty well IMO. He gave up back-to-back homers in the 4th thanks to Bowie’s short corner fences. He is the definition of a crafty lefty. He didn’t top 87mph but he was cutting and screwing and curving and changing speeds all game. He lost his no-hitter after the homerun in the 4th. I need to mention that he did let up three foul homeruns so he did get a little lucky. There weren’t many comfortable swings the first time through the lineup. Without Machado’s errors in the 6th, he would have gotten out of the 6th with only 2 runs scored.
Ruetigger did not look good at the plate but he did get a bloop single in to right field. He then stole a base.
Robbie Widlansky and Gary Kendall had commotions with the home plate umpire. After Widlansky struck out swinging in the 7th, he started yelling at the ump as he was walking away. Kendall’s argument occurred after a Mike Bielfore slider hit Brian Wards’ foot but the ump said it hit the batter. It obviously didn’t because the batter stayed in the box. I heard a couple of lines from Kendall that wouldn’t be appropriate to write here. I’am surprised he was not tossed.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » August 5th, 2012, 7:17 am

How much time has Machado played at 3B this season?? I have to think he gets at long look at 3B in ST 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 5th, 2012, 1:55 pm

For anyone that's interested here's the radio call of Machado's Cycle completing HR last night. Compliments of Steve Melewski.

http://soundcloud.com/smelewski/manny-machado-homers-to
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Minor Leagues