Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Chris Tillman

Chris Tillman

PostPost #1 by DougDE » February 19th, 2011, 2:54 am

It seems Chris' stock is down right now but he is still pretty darn young and was highly touted when he originally came over from Seattle. It would be awesom if he was finally able to put some things together at the big league level and bust out. Don, what's your opinion on him. I think I remember Jordan stating several times that he wishes they'd just put him in the rotation for an extended period and see what happens. In a recent Keith Law interview with Steve Melewski, Keith stated that he still thinks Tillman is one of the better young pitchers in the organization, I believe only behind Matusz and Britton. Ahead of Arrietta
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Re: Chris Tillman

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 19th, 2011, 11:32 am

DougDE wrote:It seems Chris' stock is down right now but he is still pretty darn young and was highly touted when he originally came over from Seattle. It would be awesom if he was finally able to put some things together at the big league level and bust out. Don, what's your opinion on him. I think I remember Jordan stating several times that he wishes they'd just put him in the rotation for an extended period and see what happens. In a recent Keith Law interview with Steve Melewski, Keith stated that he still thinks Tillman is one of the better young pitchers in the organization, I believe only behind Matusz and Britton. Ahead of Arrietta

I do think they need to stop flip flopping him from Norfolk to Baltimore. He's already pitched well at Norfolk for 2 years and has nothing left to prove there. Bring him up to Baltimore and let's see what he can do. The issue here is Arrieta is my pick to get the 5th rotation spot. Unless Tillman takes a spot in Baltimore's pen he's probably headed for Norfolk...again.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by ShowalterPower » February 19th, 2011, 7:31 pm

How has Tillman's velocity been? If I remember correctly he was only in the low 90s last season. With little fastball movement that velo needs to come up.
ShowalterPower
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by BuckMagic » February 19th, 2011, 7:56 pm

ShowalterPower wrote:How has Tillman's velocity been? If I remember correctly he was only in the low 90s last season. With little fastball movement that velo needs to come up.

His average fastball last season was just 90.3mph according to Texas Leaguers. He is definitely not sitting "comfortably" in the 90's, touching 94 mph, as this report states.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by 2131andBeyond » February 19th, 2011, 8:18 pm

ShowalterPower wrote:How has Tillman's velocity been? If I remember correctly he was only in the low 90s last season. With little fastball movement that velo needs to come up.

DING DING DING. I share this exact thought. And once he had troubles at the major league level, I think the Orioles recognized this as an issue as well (the movement part), hence why he added a cutter last year. If he can work on that more this Spring, along with maybe adding a tad to the fastball velocity, he can probably find more success while mixing in his other pitches.

What else does he throw specifically? I'm forgetting about his overall build.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles