Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

8/3/12 BAYSOX GAME

8/3/12 BAYSOX GAME

PostPost #1 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 11:23 am

I attended Bowie's game on Friday, August 3rd. I wrote down some notes on a notepad throughout the game. The Baysox lost the game 10-6 against the Yankee's AA affiliate, the Trenton Thunder. Their record is now 57-54. It was Navy Night for the graduating class of 2016 and fireworks night. I'll post my notes here.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: 8/3/12 BAYSOX GAME

PostPost #2 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 11:42 am

Here's Machado's recap:
The first two hits of the game were choppers to the left side. Ty Kelly booted the first one and the second one went right through Manny's legs in the 6-hole. Personally, I think Kelly should have gotten to it. In his first at-bat, Machado went down on three pitches- called strike, tipped straight back, blooped a pop-up to second on a curve. It wasn't that bad of a swing but it wasn't pretty either. In his next AB in the 4th, Machado put a real nice swing on a 1-0 fastball and hit a hard groundball into the 6-hole for a single. In Machado's AB in the 6th, he hit a groundball down the third baseline for his 25th double of the season. He was all over that 2-1 fastball. In the 8th, there was a line drive smoked at Machado. He took a step back and it ate him up. I'am pretty sure it went as a hit but he could have made the play. The next ball was a chopper in the 6-hole. Manny back-handed it near his chest area cleanly but overthrew Schoop at second. It was a tough play since Manny was running in the opposite direction on Schoop but all three runners on base came in to score. I was not impressed with his defense tonight. Manny reached on a throwing error by Trenton third basemen Kevin Mahoney in the 8th. Machado got his final at-bat in the 9th. He stayed with a curve and drove it to right field. The right fielder caught the linedrive/flyball on the warning track for the final out of the game. It was nice to see his adjustment from the first at-bat to his last at-bat.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 11:58 am

Here's Schoop's recap:
In Schoop's first at-bat, he worked the count full and then hit a soft line drive over short into center. He might have broken the bat or just hit it off the end as the fastball was up and away but a strike. He showed much better recognition of breaking pitches (especially in the dirt) than the last time I saw him. In his second at-bat, Jonathan struck out on a DIRTY offspeed that ended up near his feet. It wasn't Dylan Bundy dirty, but it was pretty un-hittable. In the top of the 4th, Jose Pirela hit a 2 RBI double down the right field line. Trenton's leadoff hitter(the player who hit) has lightning speed and tried to stretch it to a triple. Welty threw the ball to the cut-off man Schoop, who then fired a perfect one-hop to Kelly at third to get the runner. Schoop came up with the bases loaded in the 5th. He fished a curve down the left field line that barely landed fair for a RBI single. Jonathan got jammed on a mid 90's fastball by Kelvin Perez and hit a weak groundball to second for the 1st out of the 7th inning. In his final AB, Schoop worked the count full again and roped a one-hopper to short. Addison Maruszak made a nice play by even getting to it, but had to throw it from his knees. Schoop legged it out for his third hit of the night. Liked what I saw today from him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » August 4th, 2012, 12:08 pm

Other Notes:
Tough tough night for Ty Kelly. 0 for 5 with 4 strikeouts and 2 errors.
Brian Ward looks horrible at the plate but continues to impress behind the plate. Gamboa produced a swing-and-a-miss with a breaking pitch in the dirt. The runner on first broke for second but Ward picked up the ball a few feet away and fired a perfect throw to Machado for the strike-em-out throw-em-out double play.
Jai Miller has a short stroke to my surprise. He simply misses the ball.
Joseph's triple should have been a double. The right fielder misplayed it off the wall. Caleb also hit a 2-run homer over left field. He lined out to the left fielder as well. Looked good at the plate last night.
Clayton Schrader pitched a 1-2-3 9th inning. He needed only 6 pitches. He topped out at 95. I kinda wish I would have gotten to see more of him.
Eddie Gamboa has some nasty offspeed stuff. He made hitters look foolish of 80 mph junk all night. Unfortunately, they were taking real comfortable hacks at his low 90's fastball. He would have gotten out of the first with no runs let up but Kelly and Machado's errors were followed by a sac fly and a homerun that is probably still traveling. He had to leave in the 4th inning after a line drive came back at him and nailed him in the chest. Chris Petrini came on to pitch. Gamboa pitched better than the box score might seem.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 4th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Great notes! Always enjoy notes from the minor league games.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues