Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jake Arrieta

Jake Arrieta

PostPost #1 by Matt P » August 3rd, 2012, 1:09 am

5.2ip 5h 2er 4bb 5k 116pitches

Did anyone watch the game or read any reports on it? I know when Matusz got sent down Buck reportedly told him to start the game off with 30 straight fastballs and I know when Tillman was in AAA his first few starts he was working on mechanics. Let's hope Arrieta is just working on things because 116 innings without getting through 6 innings hints he is doing the same thing in AAA as he did in Baltimore. So far, in 4 starts, he's only made it out of the 6th inning once.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Jake Arrieta

PostPost #2 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 3rd, 2012, 5:38 am

It's really unfortunate that Arrieta isn't making the progress we would like to see. In my opinion he needs to just pound the strike zone with fastballs and finish them off with his devestating curveball. And at this stage in the game, playing in AAA he needs to just focus on proper mechanics and command of all his pitches. I think the more he works on proper mechanics and a consistent delivery the strike and command of the strike zone will come with that.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 3rd, 2012, 10:12 am

If he isn't not working on anything specifically, he is cleary not ready. Rather have Steve Johnson take Britton's place in the rotation. I think it might be very possible to see Matusz and Arrieta stay in AAA the rest of the year, which is where they belong right now.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Jake Arrieta

PostPost #4 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 3rd, 2012, 10:20 am

Agreed. They haven't proved themselves to play in the majors So we should treat them as such.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2012, 10:44 am

osforlife wrote:If he isn't not working on anything specifically, he is cleary not ready. Rather have Steve Johnson take Britton's place in the rotation. I think it might be very possible to see Matusz and Arrieta stay in AAA the rest of the year, which is where they belong right now.

Another reason why offering Derek Lowe a minor league contract to see if he can regain his touch would be a smart move. If he's ready to return to the ML in a few weeks we have the OPTION of keeping the kids at AAA until they PROVE they're ready.

Win - Win.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Jake Arrieta

PostPost #6 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 3rd, 2012, 11:27 am

I like that idea. We could use him.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 3rd, 2012, 12:19 pm

Matt P wrote:5.2ip 5h 2er 4bb 5k 116pitches

Did anyone watch the game or read any reports on it? I know when Matusz got sent down Buck reportedly told him to start the game off with 30 straight fastballs and I know when Tillman was in AAA his first few starts he was working on mechanics. Let's hope Arrieta is just working on things because 116 innings without getting through 6 innings hints he is doing the same thing in AAA as he did in Baltimore. So far, in 4 starts, he's only made it out of the 6th inning once.

I'd guess he's working on things but I haven't heard anything.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » August 3rd, 2012, 4:15 pm

ofahn wrote:
Another reason why offering Derek Lowe a minor league contract to see if he can regain his touch would be a smart move. If he's ready to return to the ML in a few weeks we have the OPTION of keeping the kids at AAA until they PROVE they're ready.

Win - Win.

My thoughts exactly. It's pretty clear that Britton isn't ready for the majors and Arrieta/Matusz definitely need more time in AAA.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » August 4th, 2012, 8:01 am

126 pitches in his last start?? Sounds like Arrieta :lol: Time to let this ship sail and be a problem somewhere else 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by dan72 » August 5th, 2012, 4:46 pm

I know Matusz has had at least one exceptional start where he went 8 and only gave up a couple hits... What we need to see is 5-6 consecutive quality starts. Until we see that there is nothing learned and they don't belong in the show. I'm fine if they stay down the rest of the year but don't rule out a September call up depending on performance.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by Matt P » August 7th, 2012, 10:28 am

Orioles director of pitching development Rick Peterson recently spent some time at Triple-A Norfolk where he got to work with pitcher Jake Arrieta for the first time.

Peterson was able to show Arrieta his biomechanical analysis results from earlier in the year and begin to work on some things to try and get the right-hander back on track after he went 3-9 with a 6.13 ERA in 18 Orioles starts.

"When we sat with Jake and reviewed his analysis, Jake was very inquisitive about things that he saw in his analysis and he really asked a lot of questions. Jake is very introspective," Peterson said.

"I think he realizes that his talent is way too good for the way that he pitched there. He was very interested about his analysis and some of the corrections we can make. He said, 'I don't want to just make some minor adjustments, I want to build this delivery to last.'

"We've done a lot with Jake and tried to really make all the adjustments we possibly could so he won't have to keep making them. Let's be all in on this. Jake's outcome numbers have not been close to his process of where he's been."

Arrieta, who will start for Norfolk tonight, is 3-1 with a 3.63 ERA in four Norfolk starts.

"The big thing with Jake is that he has to build a delivery that he can just pound the bottom of the strike zone and utilize that changeup and curveball," Peterson said. "He's got a great curveball, not just a good one. He has to command his fastball to both sides of the plate, especially down in the zone. I think he is on a fast track to get back on pace.

"I'm very optimistic about him and I base that on his attitude and Jake's ability to repeat his delivery and to commit to this process. He is so diligent. He's down in that bullpen, day after day after day, going through a whole series of drills to get the muscle memory of this."

Peterson said there are some things Arrieta is doing in the games with the Tides designed to help him improve even if they are not what is best now for him to get the best results. So what is the key for Arrieta to get to a point where he can put up good big league numbers?

"It's a couple of things. It's, one, for him to have a comprehension of how his delivery feels and works for him in an efficient way and he has that understanding now," Peterson said.

"There are three sides to a peak-performance triangle. One is skill, two is a conditioning component and three is a mental and emotional skill. When you get back to the big leagues, can you go there and relax and execute a game plan at a high level? That is the mental and emotional side of it that's going to let you have your talent really shine in the big leagues."

Peterson said he feels that Arrieta can return to pitch well for the Orioles this year and that this is not a long-term process he is undertaking right now.

Meanwhile, Peterson has met with left-hander Brian Matusz, but it sounds like he has been less involved with him at this point.

"We talked about some things I felt would be helpful for him. He felt really good actually about where he was delivery-wise, so we really only made a couple of really small tweaks and then it's wait and see and go out and pitch," Peterson said. "We'll observe and give some feedback on it. We really haven't done that much with Brian."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... audio.html

One couldn't ask for better news. He must have spoken with Tillman before he went to AAA because it sounds like he is 100% all in with Peterson just like Tillman was. Maybe now he can get his mechanics down pat, get his confidence back, and become the pitcher we all know he can be.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » August 7th, 2012, 10:40 am

Matt P wrote:
http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewsk ... audio.html

One couldn't ask for better news. He must have spoken with Tillman before he went to AAA because it sounds like he is 100% all in with Peterson just like Tillman was. Maybe now he can get his mechanics down pat, get his confidence back, and become the pitcher we all know he can be.

What struck me when I had read that article is the less than enthusiastic response by Matusz. I see his days with this organization as numbered.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by Matt P » August 8th, 2012, 8:25 pm

3.2ip 8h 5er 3bb 0k yesterday for Norfolk as he took the loss. His ERA is now at 4.85 for Norfolk.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Matt P » August 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm

5.1ip 6er 5h 5bb 5k. His ERA is now 5.74 with the Tides. Yikes.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by DougDE » August 13th, 2012, 6:26 am

Just hard to comprehend someone who started opening day apprently now cant even get minor leaguers out. Wonder if something's not right. Wouldnt be surprised if he goes for Tommy John or something soon
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Next

Return to Minor Leagues