Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Joe Mahoney September call up?

PostPost #1 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 3rd, 2012, 3:45 pm

I'm thinking after looking at Joe Mahoney's stats that he is leading the bunch down in Norfolk in hitting in every aspect, I think he should be called up in September to get some experience and get used to taking at bats in the bigs. I think it will give him a taste and learn what he needs to progress in.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

Re: Joe Mahoney September call up?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2012, 3:47 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:I'm thinking after looking at Joe Mahoney's stats that he is leading the bunch down in Norfolk in hitting in every aspect, I think he should be called up in September to get some experience and get used to taking at bats in the bigs. I think it will give him a taste and learn what he needs to progress in.

IMO all of his hard work has earned him the call up. Unfortunately, I don't see him as a ML regular.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 3rd, 2012, 3:49 pm

Well you never know until you see him in the big show. He has been producing down in Norfolk so we can't do any harm then Reynolds at first.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 3rd, 2012, 3:51 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:Well you never know until you see him in the big show. He has been producing down in Norfolk so we can't do any harm then Reynolds at first.

Mahoney hasn't really been producing this year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2012, 3:52 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:Well you never know until you see him in the big show. He has been producing down in Norfolk so we can't do any harm then Reynolds at first.

At his age he should be producing an OPS of .900 there to be a legitimate prospect, not .760 something.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 3rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

I mean I'll take him over Reynolds .205 BA and strike outs with runners on base
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2012, 4:01 pm

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:I mean I'll take him over Reynolds .205 BA and strike outs with runners on base

As inconsistent as Reynolds has been at least he's shown he can hit ML pitching (occasionally). Mahoney is still challenged by AAA pitching and he didn't make a very good impression in ST. I think your expectations might be writing a check for "Big Irish" that his bat can't cash.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by David » August 3rd, 2012, 4:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
As inconsistent as Reynolds has been at least he's shown he can hit ML pitching (occasionally). Mahoney is still challenged by AAA pitching and he didn't make a very good impression in ST. I think your expectations might be writing a check for "Big Irish" that his bat can't cash.

Another reason to keep Reynolds at 1st for the reminder of the year is that he has shown that he's capable of making some fantastic defensive plays at 1st.
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

PostPost #9 by ofahn » August 3rd, 2012, 4:13 pm

David wrote:
Another reason to keep Reynolds at 1st for the reminder of the year is that he has shown that he's capable of making some fantastic defensive plays at 1st.

Unfortunately, he's been in the middle of some train wrecks, too. 1B is a position that will need a substantial upgrade this Winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Matt P » August 4th, 2012, 2:03 am

I'd imagine he will be called up as he is on the 40 man roster but I'm not sure how much he will play.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #11 by j.q. higgins » August 5th, 2012, 9:05 am

does anyone know if his reverse platoon splits hold up over his career or if it's just a 2012 oddity?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » August 5th, 2012, 11:36 am

j.q. higgins wrote:does anyone know if his reverse platoon splits hold up over his career or if it's just a 2012 oddity?

I have no clue, but they are not TOO far off for me to really think too much about it. I'd probably say just a 2012 oddity although I don't know how to go back and look.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #13 by dan72 » August 5th, 2012, 4:02 pm

I think Mahoney seeing AB's in the big leagues depends on where the Orioles are at in the standings. As long as they are in the hunt for a wild card, I don't see him getting any playing time. If we fall out of contention than I don't see any harm in giving him a look.
If he were to come up and swing well he may gain some trade value. At the present time I don't think anyone around the league values him. Unfortunately I don't think his bat will play at the MLB level.

To your point, defensively he can't really do any worse than Reynolds. I can go along with that.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #14 by Ampontan » August 6th, 2012, 9:13 am

ofahn wrote:At his age he should be producing an OPS of .900 there to be a legitimate prospect, not .760 something.

It was over .900 for the month of July. (Above 1.000 a week ago, I think.)

He may or may not be a major league player, but he is doing something old-fashioned. Acclimating himself to a higher level and (it seems) learning from it.

Who knows what happens, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.
Ampontan
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #15 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 10:59 am

Ampontan wrote:
It was over .900 for the month of July. (Above 1.000 a week ago, I think.)

He may or may not be a major league player, but he is doing something old-fashioned. Acclimating himself to a higher level and (it seems) learning from it.

Who knows what happens, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

I haven't written "Big Irish" off yet, I just don't have that same confident feeling that I have when I look at Dylan Bundy or Manny Machado. Mahoney's glove would be a welcome addition, but I have some doubts as to whether the bat will be ML regular quality. This is a guy that needs to go to the AFL this fall and WOW everyone to be taken seriously for 2013.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Minor Leagues