Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON's mid-season top prospect lists

Re: ON's mid-season top prospect lists

PostPost #16 by ofahn » July 30th, 2012, 1:22 pm

osforlife wrote:No love for Aaron Baker and Joe Mahoney?

Based on their age and level of accomplishments I could understand why they were left off of the list.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by osforlife » July 30th, 2012, 1:25 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I just don't think Mahoney will ever hit enough to play 1B and he's not really a utility guy.

Kind of the same thing with Baker.

Can't Mahoney play a little corner outfield? I just thought they would get a top 30 mention. And 2012 has been a bust for Ryan Adams, but is he still considered a prospect?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #18 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2012, 1:44 pm

osforlife wrote:Can't Mahoney play a little corner outfield? I just thought they would get a top 30 mention. And 2012 has been a bust for Ryan Adams, but is he still considered a prospect?

He can. He still probably would never warrant a long term spot on a roster which is why I have some possible relievers ahead of him. Adams is decent; also just think some of the relievers have a chance to provide more value than he will.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #19 by Tucker Blair » July 30th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Same reason with Mahoney. Not enough power to be an impact 1B. If you don't have big power at 1B then you are not a big prospect in my eyes. I've always questioned his power, and even wrote about it in the off-season. I've watched a lot of him this season and haven't seen much progression in that area. He can get on base a little bit, but I'll take the potential of Christian Walker over him, which is why I have him so high up the list.

Baker has legitimate contact concerns. Will need to seriously buckle down in order to make my list. That being said, he has ridiculous power. But so do Brandon Waring and Mark Reynolds.

Adams is just a guy that fell through the cracks for me. I am not saying I forgot about him, but just didn't remember him
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #20 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 31st, 2012, 2:00 pm

Mine will be posted tomorrow; Don's Thursday.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 1st, 2012, 10:33 am

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 12:42 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:My mid-season top 30: http://orioles-nation.com/2012/08/01/jo ... ects-2012/

It's hard to argue with you or Tucker. After Bundy and Machado it all comes down to tea leaves and crystal balls.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Tucker Blair » August 1st, 2012, 1:54 pm

ofahn wrote:
It's hard to argue with you or Tucker. After Bundy and Machado it all comes down to tea leaves and crystal balls.

I think we pretty much has the same group of 30 on this list besides a few here and there. They are just all ordered in our personal preference, and our listings are very similar in certain aspects.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #24 by mthompson » August 1st, 2012, 3:11 pm

How on earth do you think that Conner Narron is a better prospect then Brenden Webb. Webb is better with every tool
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #25 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 1st, 2012, 3:13 pm

mthompson wrote:How on earth do you think that Conner Narron is a better prospect then Brenden Webb. Webb is better with every tool

I still have concerns over Webb's hit tool. I think Narron has the chance to be a more well rounded hitter.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 3:26 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I still have concerns over Webb's hit tool.

Too many of these kids look at Mark Reynolds or Carlos Pena and think they can bash their way to the ML. Our development staff needs to be very clear that they won't get beyond A+ with our organization if they don't learn how to make better contact and become a complete hitter...AND THEN MEAN IT.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Tucker Blair » August 1st, 2012, 11:02 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I still have concerns over Webb's hit tool. I think Narron has the chance to be a more well rounded hitter.

Narron was probably my last cut off my list.

I agree with what Jordan is saying. If I want to dream big, I take Webb. If I want to have a more logical pick to make it further, I take Narron. Both are intriguing players though and it's not really that large a difference between #27 and left off the list (in my lists case).
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #28 by Shorebirdfan » August 2nd, 2012, 9:06 am

Webb's numbers (OBP) is being helped greatly this season by his more mature approach at the plate. Pitchers at this level can't throw strikes regularly (in general) and Brendan has done a better job of laying off bad pitches. This has lead to opportunities on 2-0 and 3-1 counts for him to look FB and drive it. When he is fooled he still looks bad at the plate and he still stirkes out too often. Good example last night 3K's 1BB. Just not enough contact.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #29 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 2nd, 2012, 9:57 am

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by Tucker Blair » August 2nd, 2012, 11:59 pm

I forgot to mention that Don had a list of players knocking on the door:

Names beating down door: Trent Howard, Aaron Baker, Jamie Esquivel, Tyler Townsend, Ryan Berry, Brenden Webb

I agree with that entire lot there.

It's a matter of health with Townsend for me.
Esquivel I've seen only twice, but I was impressed with him both times. Injury right now is unfortunate, hopefully he is back soon.
Baker's injury is a huge bummer. He was doing so well and was rewarded for it. Hope he comes back strong and proves some of his contact doubts wrong.
Berry has been doing work in the Keys pen all year. Would absolutely love to see him get some time with Bowie in the tail end of the season. (and a chance for me to see him more often since I practically live at Bowie)
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PreviousNext

Return to Minor Leagues