Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Did the Orioles make the right choice at the TD?

Did the Orioles make the right choice at the TD?

PostPost #1 by David » August 1st, 2012, 12:36 pm

When I first heard we had a real chance at getting Blanton I was excited, even with his long-ball problems I still thought he could eat some innings and help the squad. But after the Phillies adamantly requested Schoop I really hoped DD wouldn't trade Schoop for Blanton. Not to mention the Phillies wanted the Orioles to eat the 3 million dollars remaining on his contract.

Looking back right now I feel he made the right move, but if we keep giving up 5 runs in the 1st inning we aren't going to win a lot of games!
David
Orioles Nation Staff
Staff Writer
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 4

Re: Did the Orioles make the right choice at the TD?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 12:38 pm

David wrote:Looking back right now I feel he made the right move

AGREED!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by volt » August 1st, 2012, 1:01 pm

Agreed...stay the course..no need to overpay for a "rental".Build it...Winter meetings will be here before you know it..why get ripped off out of percieved desperation?
volt
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by MikeNewcomb92 » August 1st, 2012, 3:02 pm

I think the Orioles made the right choice and not trading away any prospects for a rental pitcher that isnt going to single handed take us to the playoffs. In my opinion we made the right move by staying put and waiting for a better time to make a deal.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » August 1st, 2012, 4:15 pm

I would not have given up prime prospects for Blanton but from what I have read Orioles' management nixed the deal because of money. It was not because of players or prospects. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » August 1st, 2012, 11:28 pm

If all it cost was money and the Orioles failed to upgrade their starting rotation, then everything DD has been saying is all just the usual smoke.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by ofahn » August 2nd, 2012, 5:57 am

Rising O's wrote:If all it cost was money and the Orioles failed to upgrade their starting rotation, then everything DD has been saying is all just the usual smoke.

Agreed. But this time at least it was in the long term interest of the team not to bring in someone like Blanton. He certainly wasn't the pitching solution and would have been a waste of a roster spot without the addition of Headley, or someone like him.

I'm just as happy allowing the kids the chance to prove that they are, or AREN'T ML quality SPs. This team was NEVER going to be the 69 "Amazing Mets" so we're better off saving our limited prospects and building for next year and beyond.

This Winter Headley will be back on the market at a price that makes more sense, and so will some pretty good veteran SPs that will have to settle for one year contracts. If we sign a couple of those guys and tighten up the defense next year might be a whole lot different.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Don » August 2nd, 2012, 7:47 am

The only thing I would say is that you never give up anything closely remote to future foundation pieces for spare parts to a gumball machine.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles