Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who Plays First Base for the O's Next Year?

Who Plays First Base for the O's Next Year?

PostPost #1 by legmason » August 1st, 2012, 11:19 am

Mark Reynolds has an 11 million dollar option for 2013 and I think it's safe to assume that the O's will take the 500k buy out option. I don't think the O's will reinstate Davis at first and there really isn't a true first baseman in the high minors with the potential to be an everyday major leaguer.

I like Townsend but he's not close to ready for next year and he can't stay healthy. I like Mahoney but I don't think he's our future there.

As far as free agents are concerned...here's a list of the first basemen who's contracts end after this year. This list could grow as some options are declined.

Lance Berkman
Carlos Pena
Adam Laroche (has a 10 million dollar option with a million dollar buy out - likely could be available as well)
James Loney
Aubrey Huff (also has a 10 million dollar option....I don't see that getting renewed though)
Carlos Lee

The other interesting name here is Mike Napoli who can play some first and is a free agent after this year as well. Will Texas be okay with letting him walk now that they have Soto on hand?

Justin Morneau could be available through a trade still and I think the Twins are interested in moving him. I see him going in the off season at some point.

None of these free agents are that interesting to me as this list is mostly peppered with over the hill power hitters who aren't middle of the order threats anymore especially in the AL East.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Who Plays First Base for the O's Next Year?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 12:37 pm

legmason wrote:Mark Reynolds has an 11 million dollar option for 2013 and I think it's safe to assume that the O's will take the 500k buy out option. I don't think the O's will reinstate Davis at first and there really isn't a true first baseman in the high minors with the potential to be an everyday major leaguer.

I like Townsend but he's not close to ready for next year and he can't stay healthy. I like Mahoney but I don't think he's our future there.

As far as free agents are concerned...here's a list of the first basemen who's contracts end after this year. This list could grow as some options are declined.

Lance Berkman
Carlos Pena
Adam Laroche (has a 10 million dollar option with a million dollar buy out - likely could be available as well)
James Loney
Aubrey Huff (also has a 10 million dollar option....I don't see that getting renewed though)
Carlos Lee

The other interesting name here is Mike Napoli who can play some first and is a free agent after this year as well. Will Texas be okay with letting him walk now that they have Soto on hand?

Justin Morneau could be available through a trade still and I think the Twins are interested in moving him. I see him going in the off season at some point.

None of these free agents are that interesting to me as this list is mostly peppered with over the hill power hitters who aren't middle of the order threats anymore especially in the AL East.

This was a well written and topical post. POINTS!

Berkman is an intriguing option. A switch hitter with some power and a knack for RBIs. Average to above average glove. We'll have to see how his health is. He may worth an overpay but on a ONE year contract ONLY.

I would pass on the rest.

IMO we should focus on the glove there first and hope we can add a run producing bat with it. Maybe a platoon to maximize the splits. Chris Davis is best suited for DH.

Morneau is league average at best at this point. The Twins would have to eat all but about 5M of his salary and not ask for much in return. Even then I would platoon Morneau.

Napoli is going to be looking for about 50M/5yrs and selling himself as a catcher. Pass.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » August 1st, 2012, 1:16 pm

Is Nick Swisher a FA next year or does he have an option? The Yankees supposedly aren't looking to spend as much anymore with the new taxes so maybe they will let him walk. If they do, he's a guy who can work a count, get on base, and has power. I know it's against bad Orioles pitching but he has always hit well in Camden Yards. From what I remember he's always looked alright at 1B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by legmason » August 1st, 2012, 1:25 pm

Matt P wrote:Is Nick Swisher a FA next year or does he have an option? The Yankees supposedly aren't looking to spend as much anymore with the new taxes so maybe they will let him walk. If they do, he's a guy who can work a count, get on base, and has power. I know it's against bad Orioles pitching but he has always hit well in Camden Yards. From what I remember he's always looked alright at 1B.

Good call on the Swisher idea. I'm watching the game now and that occurred to me as well. I think you might be right about the Yankees letting him go and his ability to work the count and take pitches really interests me. He is indeed a free agent after this year and I read that he may not be retained given that they have to lock up Cano who you know they wont let walk.

Thanks for the points Ofahn and good point on Mike Napoli...one would have to think that his agent would push him to sign as a catcher thinking he might be able to get more money. I'd be ok with Berkman too under the conditions you mendioned.
legmason
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 1:29 pm

legmason wrote:Good call on the Swisher idea.

I thought about Swisher, and there's a lot to like there, but he will try to sell himself as a RF to enhance his value.

IMO the bat is not good enough to justify the glove at 1B.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » August 1st, 2012, 4:18 pm

I think Swisher could hit 25 HRs at least at OPACY. If his glove is average at worst, he would be my first baseman 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by legmason » August 1st, 2012, 5:00 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think Swisher could hit 25 HRs at least at OPACY. If his glove is average at worst, he would be my first baseman 8-)

He would definitely be an upgrade over what we have currently.....actually a lot of these names would be upgrades. Haha
legmason
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by dan72 » August 1st, 2012, 6:27 pm

Napoli hits for a low average but the Orioles like doing business with the Rangers so I would not rule him out. I like Berkman but he seems to want to stay in the NL, not likely....
Carlos Lee is a viable option. His 2011 season was not bad, and he still has something in the tank. I think his cost would be in our price range.
My choice would be Pena because he has experience in the AL east. His average has been declining but his OBP is not bad at .350 career.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by osforlife » August 1st, 2012, 9:55 pm

I really hope Chris Davis works on his defense this off-season. If he does, and say he becomes average, I think he'll be our 1st basemen for awhile. None of the free agents look all that great to me.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » August 1st, 2012, 10:25 pm

osforlife wrote:I really hope Chris Davis works on his defense this off-season. If he does, and say he becomes average, I think he'll be our 1st basemen for awhile. None of the free agents look all that great to me.

I agree here. I don't think any of these guys are a significant upgrade over Davis. MAybe on defense, but assuming most of these options would cost more, I'd rather take that money and put it into a pitcher or a 3B.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by legmason » August 1st, 2012, 10:34 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
I agree here. I don't think any of these guys are a significant upgrade over Davis. MAybe on defense, but assuming most of these options would cost more, I'd rather take that money and put it into a pitcher or a 3B.

The weird thing is that I thought Davis was known for being a good defensive first baseman with an inconsistent bat when he was in texas. Either he regressed or I had bad information.

As far as pitching goes this might be the best free agent class of pitchers I've seen in a long long time. It's very deep and it has some aces in it. That's probably the most intriguing part for me going into the offseason. I'm skeptical that DD will shell out money for any of them though considering that hasn't been the o's philosophy over the past decade plus. We'll see I guess.
legmason
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Matt P » August 3rd, 2012, 12:49 am

legmason wrote:
The weird thing is that I thought Davis was known for being a good defensive first baseman with an inconsistent bat when he was in texas. Either he regressed or I had bad information.

As far as pitching goes this might be the best free agent class of pitchers I've seen in a long long time. It's very deep and it has some aces in it. That's probably the most intriguing part for me going into the offseason. I'm skeptical that DD will shell out money for any of them though considering that hasn't been the o's philosophy over the past decade plus. We'll see I guess.

I read the same info you did about his defense. Some thought he would be the 3B with Reynolds the 1B going forward once they acquired him. I know he hurt his arm or shoulder last year which caused them to not consider him for 3B this season because Buck said they weren't sure his arm would hold up the entire season. He never looked horrible at 1B just didn't look as good as a lot of reports said he was. I think with another full off season of work at 1B he would be fine defensively.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Return to Baltimore Orioles