Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tillman still has the flu

Tillman still has the flu

PostPost #1 by Matt P » July 31st, 2012, 9:44 pm

Wow ... Buck just said he's been on antibiotics, doing nothing but sleeping, and actually got sent home early yesterday. I know that first inning was bad but he looked great after that.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Tillman still has the flu

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 31st, 2012, 11:43 pm

Matt P wrote:Wow ... Buck just said he's been on antibiotics, doing nothing but sleeping, and actually got sent home early yesterday. I know that first inning was bad but he looked great after that.

He did look very sharp after the first. Count me as impressed by TIllman so far, especially after his last two gutty performances with the flu.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 31st, 2012, 11:58 pm

Wonder if this has anything to do with the velocity dips.

I mean he went from throwing 97 to 92 to 94 or whatever. something like that.

I'll keep saying it on here, twitter, and wherever... We should let Tillman pitch a little longer before casting too quick a judgment on him.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 6:05 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Wonder if this has anything to do with the velocity dips.

I'll keep saying it on here, twitter, and wherever... We should let Tillman pitch a little longer before casting too quick a judgment on him.

There have definitely been substantial improvements in many areas and he should be commended for a solid performance after a rocky first. He still needs to figure out how to get out of jams without a lot of damage and how to be more aggressive with two strikes. That blinken nibbling just runs up his pitch count and shortens his game.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by osforlife » August 1st, 2012, 9:37 am

I think Seattle's radar gun is pumped up about 3 mph faster than what the pitchers are really throwing. Don said somewhere on here that Iwakuma's fastball was being clocked faster than what he really throws. Chen was throwing 95 in Seattle....
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » August 1st, 2012, 9:44 am

I have not seen his other starts but the one thing about the Seattle game was, the hitters could not catch up to his fastball. Plus the velocity was consistent for the entire game. If he is ill, and it is taking some mph from his top offering, then you can see why he is getting hit a little more. No walks yesterday and a lot of ground balls which probably what saved him.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » August 1st, 2012, 10:08 am

Tremendously gutty performance last night.He slammed the door on the MFY after being really shelled in the first.Tillman is the hero of that game IMHO.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by legmason » August 1st, 2012, 10:08 am

osforlife wrote:I think Seattle's radar gun is pumped up about 3 mph faster than what the pitchers are really throwing. Don said somewhere on here that Iwakuma's fastball was being clocked faster than what he really throws. Chen was throwing 95 in Seattle....

Regarding the Seattle game I think he was probably a little pumped up to be back in the bigs and that excitement likely could've contributed to him throwing harder. I doubt that was what got him up to 97 however as that's quite a nice increase. I agree that the radar gun is likely reading a little high. Good point on the Chen velocity as well...I remembered him having a game in which he hit 95 but forgot where it was and didn't put the pieces together.

If Tillman can keep his curveball and change up sharp and be able to challenge hitters inside that'll make his 92 to 94 mph fastball play up some which is key given that it doesn't have a ton of movement on it. Either way, I'm excited to watch him for the rest of the year. If he keeps this up it'll be the equivalent of trading for a number 2 or 3 starter!
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » August 1st, 2012, 10:12 am

Gutsy effort by Tillman last night if indeed he was sick. Hats off to him 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by ofahn » August 1st, 2012, 12:40 pm

mikezpen wrote:MFY

What could that POSSIBLY mean?

Wink, wink.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by Matt P » August 1st, 2012, 1:17 pm

The velocity dip is more than likely caused by the flu. Buck also said last night that he was weak.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » August 1st, 2012, 11:18 pm

Tillman pitching fairly well without his best velocity is not something he would have done on recent years.

Some nice progression.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles