Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON's mid-season top prospect lists

ON's mid-season top prospect lists

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2012, 10:12 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/07/30/tu ... ects-2012/

Tucker's is here today with Bundy 1, Machado 2, Gausman 3, Schoop 4, and Delmonico 5.

Mine will be tomorrow or Wednesday. Not sure if Don will be posting one.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON's mid-season top prospect lists

PostPost #2 by Shad.Knows » July 30th, 2012, 10:37 am

Hey Tucker, I'm just curious where you see the 2011 pitching class in terms of being prospects. Wright is pretty high on the list which I like, but what about Taylor, Howard, Jones, or Wilson? Thought it was a little strange to see all of them missing.
Shad.Knows
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 30th, 2012, 10:43 am

Good question. I like them all too, but just personal preference.

I think all those guys are probably RP with the exception of maybe Wilson. So in return, there were other RP on that list whom I would take over them. Again, after like #20, this is all convoluted and close.

Also since I had like 3 people ask so far, I didn't place Urrutia on my list because I've never see him play and he's not played in the minors yet.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Shad.Knows » July 30th, 2012, 10:49 am

I kinda have similar thoughts, but wanted to get your opinion on it too. I really like Wilson just in terms of where he came from and the numbers he's putting up so far this year. The other three aren't putting up huge numbers, so I think next year will really be where they separate and figure out how good they can be.

Also speaking of the 2011 class, I'm starting to root for Kyle Simon after putting up great numbers as a reliever and getting the bump to AA Reading.
Shad.Knows
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » July 30th, 2012, 10:53 am

Yea I even could have bumped Guzman from this list and added one of them, but I have watched Guzman 3x in past month so he has been fresh in my mind. Jordan's list has one of them on it, although I will not spoil it haha.

Good for Simon, he's been pitching well all year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » July 30th, 2012, 10:56 am

Also there are a few players I'm higher on than others, so feel free to ask any questions if someone jumps out to you.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by dan72 » July 30th, 2012, 10:58 am

I'm curious about Gausman so high on the list. He hasn't done anything yet. I know that coming out of the SEC can be the equivelant of high A or AA, but until I see some level of pro performance I can't place him that high. Other wise a great list. Thanks
dan72
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Shad.Knows » July 30th, 2012, 10:59 am

I like Guzman, but who wouldn't after seeing what he's done so far this year? I'm glad he finally got to Delmarva.

And honestly I just like when these lists are put out, regardless of how accurate they may be. I'm a minor league/prospect nerd so I enjoy talking about these guys :-D
Shad.Knows
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » July 30th, 2012, 11:04 am

dan72 wrote:I'm curious about Gausman so high on the list. He hasn't done anything yet. I know that coming out of the SEC can be the equivelant of high A or AA, but until I see some level of pro performance I can't place him that high. Other wise a great list. Thanks

He was top 30 on a few prospect lists such as BA and BP. His talent level in the SEC is enough to put him that far up there. I've watched him pitch at LSU on a number of occasions.
Shad.Knows wrote:I like Guzman, but who wouldn't after seeing what he's done so far this year? I'm glad he finally got to Delmarva.

And honestly I just like when these lists are put out, regardless of how accurate they may be. I'm a minor league/prospect nerd so I enjoy talking about these guys :-D

These lists are tough to make haha. I legitimately felt bad leaving some off!

I'll tell you now that I have a knack for Power pitching, deceptive pitching, and intriguing OF. If that wasn't too obvious from my list.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2012, 11:08 am

Shad.Knows wrote:I kinda have similar thoughts, but wanted to get your opinion on it too. I really like Wilson just in terms of where he came from and the numbers he's putting up so far this year. The other three aren't putting up huge numbers, so I think next year will really be where they separate and figure out how good they can be.

Also speaking of the 2011 class, I'm starting to root for Kyle Simon after putting up great numbers as a reliever and getting the bump to AA Reading.

His fastball is really good in a relief role. Speaking of the prospects traded to the Phillies, Lino has a .483 OPS in 16 games with the Phillies.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2012, 11:09 am

dan72 wrote:I'm curious about Gausman so high on the list. He hasn't done anything yet. I know that coming out of the SEC can be the equivelant of high A or AA, but until I see some level of pro performance I can't place him that high. Other wise a great list. Thanks

He has solid stuff all around, a plus fastball and some projection left. There is a lot to like there.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2012, 11:11 am

Shad.Knows wrote:Hey Tucker, I'm just curious where you see the 2011 pitching class in terms of being prospects. Wright is pretty high on the list which I like, but what about Taylor, Howard, Jones, or Wilson? Thought it was a little strange to see all of them missing.

I have one of them on my list.

I have talked with others and most believe Wilson simply won't stick as a starter. I don't want to give too much of my list away but I can share my thoughts and what I've heard regarding Jones, Taylor, and Howard tomorrow.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Shad.Knows » July 30th, 2012, 11:31 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I have talked with others and most believe Wilson simply won't stick as a starter. I don't want to give too much of my list away but I can share my thoughts and what I've heard regarding Jones, Taylor, and Howard tomorrow.

Sounds good, should be a fun list. And I think I'm blindly holding out hope for these guys after seeing what happened with the injured 2009 pitching class that never was.
Shad.Knows
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by osforlife » July 30th, 2012, 1:20 pm

No love for Aaron Baker and Joe Mahoney?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 30th, 2012, 1:22 pm

osforlife wrote:No love for Aaron Baker and Joe Mahoney?

I just don't think Mahoney will ever hit enough to play 1B and he's not really a utility guy.

Kind of the same thing with Baker.

Neither of them are on my list. Not sure about Tucker's reasoning.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Minor Leagues