Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jason Berken about 30lbs lighter

Jason Berken about 30lbs lighter

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 13th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Brittany Ghiroli wrote:Jason Berken is skinny, about 30 lbs lighter than before.

Good to hear.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jason Berken about 30lbs lighter

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 14th, 2011, 2:51 am

He has really slimmed down quite a bit.

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by hsbaseballcoach » February 14th, 2011, 9:30 am

I have known Jason for a few years, he even was an instructor at 2 of my camps when he was with Bowie. It would be hard to find a nicer guy who wants success more than he does. I know he has really worked hard on his conditioning and feels great! I think he will return to the form we saw in the first half of last season.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Don » February 14th, 2011, 1:37 pm

In my playing days, coming into camp 30 pounds heavier or lighter came with subtle slurs. I mean we all knew what was going on with some of these guys. But this is not his case...

It is nice to see him in better condition for himself in the long run.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Don » February 14th, 2011, 1:40 pm

As for his presense, changing your body that much so quickly changes your center of gravity ever so sligthly. It will take some time to get back into the saddle combining this with his injury issue. Not quite sure about a return to form, but maybe a smoother better version. Losing the weight and working the core could improve many aspects of his game on the mound, but it will take a bit of time getting the command, timing down
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #6 by 2131andBeyond » February 14th, 2011, 2:59 pm

My issue with this is that he was recorded as 6'0", 205 lb. before. Now, down to 175 lb., is that even healthy for an athlete. That BMI is in the healthy weight range, but as an athlete, with the muscle mass added on, I feel like it will wear on his body. Thinking of a guy like CC Sabathia, who, yes, has trimmed down, but without his mass behind him (pretending he were a slim pitcher), he would be completely different, and for all we know, ineffective. As it was said about center of gravity, this can really change how he pitches.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Shorebirdfan » February 14th, 2011, 8:28 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:My issue with this is that he was recorded as 6'0", 205 lb. before. Now, down to 175 lb., is that even healthy for an athlete. That BMI is in the healthy weight range, but as an athlete, with the muscle mass added on, I feel like it will wear on his body. Thinking of a guy like CC Sabathia, who, yes, has trimmed down, but without his mass behind him (pretending he were a slim pitcher), he would be completely different, and for all we know, ineffective. As it was said about center of gravity, this can really change how he pitches.

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Problem is I've seen some of the these guys add or lose weight and the playbill not reflect the change. I know when Mahoney lost weight it still showed him at 255, and when I talked to him, he said he was 215. My point is Berken may have gone to 225 and now be more like 195. If he is really 175, I would be concerned about a loss of power and possibly velocity.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #8 by Don » February 15th, 2011, 12:03 pm

I am not as worried because his game is not built on workhorse. He is a bullpen guy and should not lose much, if anything, with his arsenal. He is not 6' feet and more like 5'10 and 1/2" inches, which is a solid foundation for a guy that is 180. Richie will have him on a solid diet during the season because it is tough to maintain the weight and muscle over the long haul.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles