Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Matt Hobgood Curveball/Fastball Arm Angle Comparison

Matt Hobgood Curveball/Fastball Arm Angle Comparison

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 14th, 2011, 9:14 pm

I cooked up a few GIFs of Matt Hobgood's pitches (from our 2010 scouting report) and noticed some slight differences just watching the clips side by side. I paused each clip at the point of release and took a screen shot, which you can see below.

His curveball is coming from more of an overhand arm slot while his fastball is closer to a 3/4 release. You'll also notice his left leg (to our right) is significantly more bent in the curveball snapshot, and his glove is closer to the ground as a result.

This is taken from a late-March 2010 spring training game, so it's been about 11 months. His mechanics certainly could have changed since then. Still, it's worth taking a look at.

Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Matt Hobgood Curveball/Fastball Arm Angle Comparison

PostPost #2 by DougDE » February 15th, 2011, 8:11 am

I thought of Hobgood last night when I read an article in the current issue of ESPN the magazine about prospects losing velocity once they turn pro and how long tossing has helped some of them regain it. I wonder if Matt does any long tossing and if not if it would benefit him
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by Don » February 15th, 2011, 11:52 am

I thought of Hobgood last night when I read an article in the current issue of ESPN the magazine about prospects losing velocity once they turn pro and how long tossing has helped some of them regain it.

Interesting that you say. I am 100% for long tossing and fully using your lower body to 95% of the work. Jordan should be posting about this very subject soon.

RE: Mechanical differences

I thought I made that observation last year that his placement was projectable for hitters. If you notice, he crosses his lower half a bit more on the fastball, also looks as if the hip angles are slightly different. This is tough to tell from an overhead and can clearly be seen best in the dogout 45 angle shot. I thought it was best at the time for pitching coaches to keep his curve angle as it is safer long term slot to maintain a downward plane.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by DougDE » February 16th, 2011, 5:21 am

fully using your lower body to 95% of the work

This was one of the pros of long tossing in the article, that it trained your whole body to throw the ball and not just your arm
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by Don » February 16th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Why I like workhorse pitchers? Because those guys tend to have big old butts and you cannot teach genetics. It is why I like Hobgood as his build and potential make up remind me of Josh Beckett.

Work Ethic has hitched a bit too this point so far in his young career. Still, some conditioning improvments and muscle memory changes to his throwing and this kid can still be a top of the rotation projectable pitcher.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Minor Leagues