Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ORIOLES TOP 10 PROSPECTS FOR 2013

ORIOLES TOP 10 PROSPECTS FOR 2013

PostPost #1 by mthompson » July 29th, 2012, 8:17 pm

With the minor league season coming to an end in the next month or so, I feel like I want to start looking into our organizational rankings. Here is what I believe out top 10 will look like next season:

10-Ty Kelly- Maybe does not have the upside of others, but his stats can not be ignored.
2013-AA/AAA
ETA- Mid 2013

9-Bernandina- This is just based on raw skills and his high ceiling.
2013-LOW A
ETA-2016

8-Brenden Webb- Has shown the most improvement of anyone if our system. His speed/power/onbase combo is very exciting.
2013-HIGH A
ETA-2015

7-Zach-Davies- His 1st pro season makes me think he could be the real deal.
2013-HIGH A
ETA- ETA 2016

6-Eduardo Rodriguez- Has done nothing but been solid in his 1st full season in pro ball. He has mid-rotation stuff.
2013-HIGH A
ETA-late 2015

5-Delmonico- This guy just looks like a ball player. He needs to find a position, if he has to stay at 1st he will fall.
2013-HIGH A
ETA-mid-2015

4-Schoop- He looks like he can stick at 2B. Schoop needs to make more contact and take more pitches, but his bat speed is world class and he could be beast in the future if he reach his upside.
2013-AA
ETA-mid 2013 due to the lack of the orioles 2nd base option

3-Gausman- The hope should be that Gausman and Bundy start the year together next season, so they can used to being a 1-2 punch for the next decade
2013-HIGH A
ETA-2014

2-Machado- This kid could have curled up in a ball after struggling to start the year, but he has improved everyday and looks the part of a top 5 prospect in baseball.
2013-AA
ETA-Mid-2014

1-Bundy- #1 prospect in baseball period.
2013-HIGH A
ETA-2014

I would love to see everyone else's list
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

Re: ORIOLES TOP 10 PROSPECTS FOR 2013

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 8:25 pm

Thanks for posting this.

Funny because Tucker and I were actually working on our very own lists to post this week, so you had perfect timing with this.

I also have Rodriguez in my top 10 and a very similar top five.

I think you may be a little high on Kelly, Davies, Bernadina and Webb.

Kelly is posting solid numbers but he's been a bit old for his leagues, doesn't play the greatest defense, and doesn't have a true position. He's probably more of an org. guy at this time, but I certainly hope he proves me and everyone else wrong. The stats are definitely hard to ignore.

Bernadina is still very raw but he has the tools to be this high on the list in future years. He's probably not there yet, though.

Webb is a very interesting prospect to say the least. He's actually only striking out in 26.5% of his PAs which actually isn't too bad, but isn't as low as anyone would like it to be. He needs to cut down the strikeout rate and focus on more contact.

Davies is a real solid guy but his upside is somewhat limited. Probably more in the low teens as opposed to #7, at least for me.

I really think you nailed the top five.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by mthompson » July 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm

I can agree with that with Kelly's age and Bernadina's lack of a track record, they could be left out of the top 10. Davies I have a hard time leaving out with his success at the age 19 but his size could hold him back. You can not tell me that the Orioles have 10 better prospects in our system then Brenden Webb. His .425 obp and his 891ops are both elite. At 6'3 190 he can fill out and have develop plus power (he has shown average power this year) to go with his plus speed and plus defense. He was raw coming out of High School and his really coming into his own.
mthompson
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 8:51 pm

mthompson wrote:I can agree with that with Kelly's age and Bernadina's lack of a track record, they could be left out of the top 10. Davies I have a hard time leaving out with his success at the age 19 but his size could hold him back. You can not tell me that the Orioles have 10 better prospects in our system then Brenden Webb. His .425 obp and his 891ops are both elite. At 6'3 190 he can fill out and have develop plus power (he has shown average power this year) to go with his plus speed and plus defense. He was raw coming out of High School and his really coming into his own.

I just feat Webb's struggles with contact could hurt him. I really would like to see Webb at Frederick to see what he can do. Remember, this is his second year at Delmarva and he still has that strikeout rate. That's not to say he hasn't made improvements.

Webb's plays outstanding defense and has plus arm strength. Above-average speed as well. His power is solid but his hit tool is holding him back as a prospect right now.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Shorebirdfan » July 29th, 2012, 9:20 pm

I too think the top 5 are dead on. I would have them in the same order also. I think the 2nd five can be debated quite a bit as they would almost all grade out to C prospects who need to step up.

Based on that my next five are.

6. Xavier Avery - the transformation of what I saw here on Delmarva to what he is today is nothing short of a baseball miracle. Hopeful he is the answer in LF in 2013.
7. Parker Bridwell - I refuse to give up on this kid. Last 3 outings have shown me something and the most recent was exactly whats been missing.
8. Jason Esposito - No one has been more critical of his performance than me, but I still see flashes. He has actually struggled more defensively with routine plays than tough ones. Still believe the bat will come.
9. LJ Hoes - still needs a position but the skills are there.
10. Eduardo Rodriguez - What's not to like? Kid has done everything we could have asked of him this season. Got rocked a few times in June but other than that he has been solid all year, he's a lefty and he is only 19.

Just missed for me. Glynn Davis, Joe Mahoney, Clay Schrader.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #6 by legmason » July 29th, 2012, 9:48 pm

Pretty good stuff. My only three changes would be to add hoes, Avery and Branden Kline to the top ten somewhere. I like Webb a good bit though and my sleeper is Bridwell for the top ten. In all honesty I'm not really sure he's quite top ten material yet but in my mind he's only a good 4 to 6 starts off. He's got talent but he's very raw. He's put some decent starts together recently so we'll see I guess but his potential puts him up there for me.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » July 29th, 2012, 9:54 pm

my list will be out tomorrow I think. I'm almost done it.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #8 by mthompson » July 29th, 2012, 10:04 pm

1. Hoes- is interesting but I do not see him having the glove, power or speed to be an everyday player.

2. Avery- The speed and defensive ability are obvious, but I do not see his hit tool, power and batting eye will ever allowing him to be more then a 4th OF.

3. I do get the people that are into Bridwell at this point. It does not look like he can be a starter. I do think that in a late inning role, he could have some serious velocity and could be a major asset.

4. I have watched Esposito and I see a player that has a long swing with a very poor hit tool and a glove that was way overrated coming out of Vandy.

5. Mahoney is not someone I see as a major league player

Hoes, Schrader, Glynn Davis, Kline, and Mike Wright are my next 5 in with Avery 16
mthompson
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Matt P » July 29th, 2012, 10:09 pm

With the seasons that Avery and Hoes have had are they both top 10 guys? I know a few years back they were top 5 weren't they? It seems like they both fell off a bit in the rankings before this season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » July 29th, 2012, 10:11 pm

Matt P wrote:With the seasons that Avery and Hoes have had are they both top 10 guys? I know a few years back they were top 5 weren't they? It seems like they both fell off a bit in the rankings before this season.

without going too much into my list since it comes out tomorrow:

Yes I think both are. The Orioles system is thin as it is and both have progressed in my eyes. Avery has been scuffling since his demotion but the growth this season has already been shown.
Hoes just has been consistent and solid all year.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #11 by Matt P » July 29th, 2012, 10:19 pm

I wish I didn't live up in north east Pennsylvania so I could see these guys play. The only time I get to see O's prospects is Youtube and when they come to Scranton/Wilkes Barre to play the AAA Yankees (and they aren't even there this year as their stadium is being remodeled).
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Matt P wrote:With the seasons that Avery and Hoes have had are they both top 10 guys? I know a few years back they were top 5 weren't they? It seems like they both fell off a bit in the rankings before this season.

It also has to do with the fact that Schoop, Delmonico, Gausman, and maybe even Rodriguez have passed Hoes and Avery. I think Avery and Hoes have improved their prospect status each year but there has been better talent coming in/improving within the system.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm

Matt P wrote:I wish I didn't live up in north east Pennsylvania so I could see these guys play. The only time I get to see O's prospects is Youtube and when they come to Scranton/Wilkes Barre to play the AAA Yankees (and they aren't even there this year as their stadium is being remodeled).

It's certainly nice living in this area having every team besides Norfolk and GCL within 2 hours driving.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by legmason » July 29th, 2012, 11:09 pm

While we're at it...what's the consensus in where Gausman starts next year? I have to think Frederick. Or do the o's think Delmarva is a better fit at least for a few starts first?
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 11:11 pm

mthompson wrote:5. Mahoney is not someone I see as a major league player

Agree completely.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Minor Leagues