Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Delmonico's Recent Display of Power

Delmonico's Recent Display of Power

PostPost #1 by legmason » July 28th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Delmonico has totaled 11 home runs on the year which I think is actually pretty impressive considering he was on the DL for a decent chunk of the season. However, over the last 5 games he's hit 3 home runs. Sure it's an extremely small sample size but I think it's a good sign of things to come. I would like to him be a little more selective and bring that average up some but I think that'll come in time as it's still just his first full year in pro ball.

From what I've read on him his swing has a natural knack for lifting the ball however I don't think he'll ever have plus power. I would guess he's probably in the 20 to 25 hr range as his body fills out and reaches his peak.

Has anyone seen him hit in person some this year? How are his at bats?
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Re: Delmonico's Recent Display of Power

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 12:38 am

I know Tim (Shorebirdfan) has seen him quite a bit this yer.

From my understanding, a lot of his HRs are more line drives as opposed to the deep HRs that Machado and Schoop hit. Don has said he would like to see Delmonico add a bit more loft to his swing, which would allow him to hit more home runs.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » July 29th, 2012, 6:58 am

Once Delmonico gets his health in order, you're going to see this kid really take off. He could rocket through the system next year 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by Shorebirdfan » July 29th, 2012, 8:52 am

Jordan is correct. Nicky's home runs are mostly line drives. However, nce to see them coming more frequently.

I agree with birdwatcher that this kid has a ton of potential. Remember, he was just out of high school playing at this level. The knee slowed him down quite a bit, and the biggest issue both he and the organization need to overcome is finding him a position. Friday night he missed two plays in the field that most 1B would makeon grounders hit right at him.

As a hitter I see him a lot like Markakis flashing power but mostly a line drive doubles hitter. Could he change into more of a power guy? only time will tell.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #5 by docjj » July 29th, 2012, 7:28 pm

As this message board's resident negative nellie (every board needs one!) I'll point out he's hitting .250. That's hardly tearing it up in low-A ball. And 11 Home Runs is not that many. Finally, Billy Rowell hit .273 with 9 HR his first stint at Delmarva. Granted Delmonico's BB/K ratio is better than Rowell's was.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 7:30 pm

docjj wrote:As this message board's resident negative nellie (every board needs one!) I'll point out he's hitting .250. That's hardly tearing it up in low-A ball. And 11 Home Runs is not that many. Finally, Billy Rowell hit .273 with 9 HR his first stint at Delmarva. Granted Delmonico's BB/K ratio is better than Rowell's was.

It's a tad low, but remember he just turned 20. His hit tool is considered very good. I don't think anyone is really too worried about his ability to hit for average, especially with his BB/K ratio.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 29th, 2012, 7:31 pm

docjj wrote:As this message board's resident negative nellie (every board needs one!) I'll point out he's hitting .250.

Ha! That is very true.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues