Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Stand pat, or trade for a bat

Stand pat, or trade for a bat

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2012, 6:41 pm

With the way this offense has played lately it's clear the the Orioles desperately need a bat.

If they do indeed make the playoffs and face off against an ace, does anyone actually go into the game feeling good about the Orioles chances? A one game playoff against Jered Weaver with this offense probably wouldn't end well.

If the Orioles are serious about making the playoffs, which will likely be as the second wild card, they need to upgrade their offense.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Stand pat, or trade for a bat

PostPost #2 by Matt P » July 25th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I've been saying this for months.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by dan72 » July 25th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Stand pat is a sure fire recipe for a second half decline. If we want to finish above .500 we will need to make at least one move to address some of the issues this team has. I'm in favor of addressing our starting pitching needs but Headley addresses several problems, so I'm good with a package to aquire Headley.
What other bats are out there?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » July 25th, 2012, 9:45 pm

I mean unless they go scrap heap hunting (Juan Pierre, Reed Johnson, etc) and get guys who will cost next to nothing, then I think they should stand pat. Unless they can get someone legit without giving up the big 3.

Take a look at Jordan and I's depth charts and you can really tell the lack of "depth" this org really has. It's quite barren, and trading the little they have could be awful. Of course, there is also that theory that the Orioles can't grow anyone regardless so might as well trade them.

Let's just say I'm glad to not be in Duquette's shoes. This is probably as tough it gets to be a GM in baseball.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by legmason » July 25th, 2012, 11:16 pm

I couldn't agree more Tucker. It's not as if this team is close to being elite. We've
gotten lucky with some shrewd acquisitions over the winter in hammel and Chen.
It's great that we have a winning record at this point in the season and it's a lot of fun
to watch but our future isn't now, it's 13, 14, and 15. Trading any key prospects for
a few extra wins this season is being pennywise pound foolish.
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by legmason » July 25th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Meant to type foolish haha
legmason
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 25th, 2012, 11:24 pm

legmason wrote:Meant to type foolish haha

No worries. I fixed it for you.

And I 100% agree with your post. That's why I think they should just stay put.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by Shorebirdfan » July 26th, 2012, 5:26 am

legmason wrote:I couldn't agree more Tucker. It's not as if this team is close to being elite. We've
gotten lucky with some shrewd acquisitions over the winter in hammel and Chen.
It's great that we have a winning record at this point in the season and it's a lot of fun
to watch but our future isn't now, it's 13, 14, and 15. Trading any key prospects for
a few extra wins this season is being pennywise pound foolish.

I agree with you both that in the long run, there is really nothing out there that even guarantees you getting to the playoffs. Its not like you are 5 games in the playoff group and simply trying to hold on. You are now on the outside looking in and have to make up ground to get in, and as Jordan said on the original post, getting into the 2nd wild card spot buys you a one game playin date with Jared Weaver.

Let's just say thanks for the 2012 season. Admit it has been better than we all thought it would be, wait for September call ups to see if LJ, X and Mahoney are really ready to be in the discussion for 2013, and start dreaming about off season free agent blogging about signing David Wright to play 3B.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » July 29th, 2012, 6:56 am

I would look at Hoes and Avery at this point or if we can get Pierre on the absolute cheap 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by Shorebirdfan » July 29th, 2012, 8:56 am

I still fear that this team is going to pull the trigger on a deal for Headley. Although I think he would be a welcomed addition, I remain very fearful of the long term impact in what we give up to get him.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #11 by adonijah1510 » July 29th, 2012, 10:01 am

I think the only guy worth trading for would be Headley, but its not worth giving up alot of prospects. I was hoping we would get another pitcher to help, then a move for Headley would have made sense.
adonijah1510
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 8

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » July 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Unless we're moving Arrieta or Matusz, I doubt we get Headley 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles