Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Has Tillman finally turned a corner?

Has Tillman finally turned a corner?

PostPost #1 by docjj » July 27th, 2012, 7:37 am

Hate to jinx the guy. He had his one awful start, but his others have been ok. Has he turned a corner.

Also for a team known for its terrible defense, the O's made some dazzling plays yesterday. Fun to watch.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Has Tillman finally turned a corner?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » July 27th, 2012, 11:03 am

I think he's getting a bit lucky right now with the amount of HRs he's given up, but I expect his control to be a bit better so it should even out. I think he'll be solid down the stretch.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » July 27th, 2012, 11:22 am

I only saw the first inning and last inning of yesterdays game.

Was he only throwing 92-94? Or did he warm up and get back to his 95-97 he was throwing before?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » July 27th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think he's getting a bit lucky right now with the amount of HRs he's given up, but I expect his control to be a bit better so it should even out. I think he'll be solid down the stretch.

He needs to trust his stuff more and be more aggressive with two strikes. All of our SPs need to be the physical shape to throw at least 120 pitches a start, and that would be enough for nine innings if they don't waste a lot of pitches when they get two strikes on a batter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 27th, 2012, 3:30 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:I only saw the first inning and last inning of yesterdays game.

Was he only throwing 92-94? Or did he warm up and get back to his 95-97 he was throwing before?

He was 91-94 for the majority of his start. In the middle innings he cranked it up to 95/96 a couple times but it was 91-94 for the most part. Roch said he was pitching with flu like symptoms which may have explained the slight drop in velocity.

What I liked is that even though he started out very poorly with the walks and hard hit balls, he got better as the game went on and hit his stride around the 5th/6th inning.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by Matt P » July 28th, 2012, 1:05 am

Imagine if Reynolds doesn't make that error against Minnesota and he escapes the first with only 1 run surrendered. He would had around 30 pitches and it would have been hard but maybe he can get through 6 innings. He seems to really find a groove and get better as games go on both in terms of velocity and command.

He was magnificent against Seattle and would have thrown a complete game shutout if not for the horrible O's defense. Who knows what would have happened against Minnesota if Reynolds doesn't make the error. He was great against Cleveland and his only blemish was a solo HR. He was good against Tampa Bay as he had another quality start but it could have been better. He should have only given up 1er if the O's have an actual OF playing in LF. Add onto that the fact he was suffering from flu like symptoms and that is a great start for Chris.

I think he's finally turned the corner. He worked hard to get himself back here and he's here to stay. I would even group him with Bundy as an untouchable.

Either way, not bad for someone who is "not a legitimate major league starter".
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 28th, 2012, 11:43 am

Matt P wrote:I would even group him with Bundy as an untouchable.

I agree with that statement, if the O's were to deal one of the 4 "cavalry" pitchers Tillman is the one I would want to keep the most.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » July 28th, 2012, 3:31 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
I agree with that statement, if the O's were to deal one of the 4 "cavalry" pitchers Tillman is the one I would want to keep the most.

What's your reasoning behind that?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by OriolesRedskins28 » July 28th, 2012, 5:07 pm

ofahn wrote:
What's your reasoning behind that?

I like his velocity, command, and offspeed pitches. I like the fact that he's starting to hit his stride this season at age 24 and the fact that he will most likely continue to improve his consistency as he gets more ML experience. I know it's a small sample size this year but I like what I've seen.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » July 28th, 2012, 5:18 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
I like his velocity, command, and offspeed pitches. I like the fact that he's starting to hit his stride this season at age 24 and the fact that he will most likely continue to improve his consistency as he gets more ML experience. I know it's a small sample size this year but I like what I've seen.

As I have said before, I have never questioned what was between his shoulder and his fingertip. My concern is what's between his ears. Once he develops the courage to trust his stuff and become more aggressive with two strikes he could be as much as a #2 SP on a good team. He holds his career in his hands.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » July 29th, 2012, 3:01 am

ofahn wrote:
As I have said before, I have never questioned what was between his shoulder and his fingertip. My concern is what's between his ears. Once he develops the courage to trust his stuff and become more aggressive with two strikes he could be as much as a #2 SP on a good team. He holds his career in his hands.

Would you mind pointing out where you said this? I remember you saying Tillman is not a legitimate ML starter, will only ever help the O's as a trade piece or a reliever, and that the fact he cannot pitch more than 6 innings consistently at AAA is proof he will not be capable of doing it in the majors, but I do not recall you saying he could be a #2 on a good team.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » July 29th, 2012, 6:57 am

Matt P wrote:
Would you mind pointing out where you said this? I remember you saying Tillman is not a legitimate ML starter, will only ever help the O's as a trade piece or a reliever, and that the fact he cannot pitch more than 6 innings consistently at AAA is proof he will not be capable of doing it in the majors, but I do not recall you saying he could be a #2 on a good team.

I believe this "I have never questioned what was between his shoulder and his fingertip. My concern is what's between his ears" is a direct quote from an earlier post. I have not previously stated that he could be a #2 SP because he hadn't begun to trust his stuff and become aggressive with two strikes. He still has some work to do BUT this is a COMPLETELY different pitcher than what we saw last year. Peterson deserves a lot of credit but so does Tillman. He;s finally fighting for his career.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Isn't it amazing? Chris Tillman is aggressive with two strikes to batter after batter and he carries a shut out into the eighth inning. With his stuff there's NO reason for him to nibble. Hmm, maybe Rick Peterson actually knows what he's talking about.

If he works with Brady Anderson to put on ten pounds of muscle from the waist down this winter and he could rack up six or seven complete games next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Matt P » August 6th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to put on ten pounds of muscle in one off season? Let alone 10 lbs of muscle only in the legs?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » August 6th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Matt P wrote:Do you have any idea how hard it would be to put on ten pounds of muscle in one off season? Let alone 10 lbs of muscle only in the legs?

Actually, yes. It would involve making a major adjustment to your diet and 3M to 4M in exercise calories per day for at least 120 days. Bucket Squats, running stairs, and 6K running alternated daily with 15K on a bike. A lean high protein diet. Fish, poultry, and limited red meat. Vegetables and whole grains.

In essence, my years from 18 to 21 wearing a beanie, "snooping and pooping" and "eating snakes". Hooh Ra!! Good times.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles